Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

NEW: Weapon X 3V Xcops IN STOCK!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up NEW: Weapon X 3V Xcops IN STOCK!

We're please to announce that Lethal Performance was the first to receive the new Weapon X 3V XCOP Racing Ignition Coils.

IN STOCK with SAME DAY SHIPPING $419.95

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...il-set-p-28520

* -Optimized for 2005+ Ford Vehicles
* -Enhanced Horsepower
* -Enhanced Mileage -Enhanced Driveability
* -Positive Spark Plug Connection Point
* -High RPM Capability -Plug and Play Fit and Finish
* -Professional Level Technology
* -Super High Output Spark

COIL ON PLUG TECHNOLOGY
The creation of a high quality ignition system has been a challenging process for OEMS that has taken many years in research and development. Recently, technology has introduced to the automotive market the next generation of high performance ignition coils which offer the latest in ignition technology for improved spark output and engine reliability. With the latest cutting edge technology our engineering department has further refined ignition coil design to allow for improved power output with reduced noise emissions. The Coil On Plug ignition is the latest development in precisely controlling spark intensity and timing for optimum power,
fuel economy, and low emissions. Most 'coil on plug' (one coil for each spark plug) systems are actually 'coil near plug' because a short mechanical connector, or spark plug wire connects the coil to the plug. True coil on plug systems, with the coil mounted directly to the plug, are now being introduced on both domestic and foreign engines. One such example is the XCOP ignition coil which was developed for Ford engines.
A strong spark requires high voltage. In order to maintain the high voltage we must ensure energy output is not
compromised. One such method to accomplish this is through advanced circuit compression models.

CIRCUIT COMPRESSION
High-voltage circuits always risk degradation at any connection point between two parts. High voltage also will escape from its intended circuit whenever it finds an easier path to ground due to component failure or insulation breakdown. With coil on plug, there is no high-tension lead between the spark plug and the ignition coil. The system 'compresses' the secondary ignition to the minimum number of components and reduces the distance high-voltage circuit must travel.

Because of circuit compression overall system impedance and power loss is reduced, thus increasing the available power produced by the ignition core across the spark gap.

ADVANTAGE XCOP
Taking an existing coil and tweaking the internals for reproduction offers

COPY OEM COIL NEAR PLUG (CNP) DESIGN
* Cost savings, since there is zero development time in re-designing the packaging.
* Zero improvements on packaging, weight.
* Same voltage and power loss through the OEM connections and interconnect.
* Position, design and principals for the new ignition coils remains the same as OEM CNP units.
* Internals can be revised.
Creating a new ignition coil from scratch offered

CREATING A NEW COIL ON PLUG (COP) DESIGN
* Improved ignition coil position for improved energy transfers.
* The cylindrical coil can be installed in the plug hole, which was previously a “dead space”.
* Improved ignition coil position for reduced RFI/EMI.
* Improved packaging.
* Improved efficiency and output by reducing transmission length of high voltage to the spark plug.
* Improved efficiency and output by reducing problem prone connection points.
* Reduced noise output by reducing problem prone connection points.

Facts about Weapon X XCOP Ignition Coils

While the solid rope is better than the OEM spring style connector ours do not use either types. Because of these small interconnects the OEM coils are actually not really Coil On Plug (COP) they are really Coil Near Plug (CNP) setups. Our ignition coils for the 3V are a TRUE COP setup meaning that there is NO interconnect between the ignition coil and spark plug like the OEM design.

WeaponX uses a CNC profiled Copper and Zinc fitting attached to the end of the internals on our ignition coil which are friction fit to the spark plug like a standard spark plug connection. Our connector materials are also over 35X more conductive then stainless steel components and are also highly resistant to corrosion. They are also profiled so well that they are connected extremely tight to the spark plug itself and thus have very minor power losses through the connection unlike most competitors that use alternative methods.

Last edited by Boostaddict; 01-28-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

If you are looking to test these out I have a GT with a Whipple HO you can try them on. I am even local to Justin at VMP.

Just trying to help

I have been waiting for these to come out, but I am tapped out for mod money at the moment.

These have a good rep from what I understand from the 4V guys to i am interested to see what they will do for a 3V.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Holy crap! I thought these were never coming out. My accels are still working fine, but if they fail, then I guess i'll pay the piper and get the weapon X.