Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Have a few questions about Roushcharger and 4.10 gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
inkognitoh

Smile Have a few questions about Roushcharger and 4.10 gears

Hello everyone.

New here obviously, but have been browsing around this site for a few weeks off and on. I am a former LS1 Z28 owner (sold due to expanding family). I had it slightly modded with full exhaust, 4.10 gears, and a cam from a 04 Z06. It made 367rwhp on a DynoJet and had a best run of 12.2 @115 with 1.76 60' on BFG Drag Radials. I may be in the market for a new car before long and the S197 Mustangs have grown on me more and more since they first came out in 2005. I did some searching but I either simply overlooked the answers I am looking for or I didn't feel some of the ones I found applied to my specific questions. Enough rambling, here is what I am needing info on.

I am looking to get a new manual transmission GT from my local Ford dealer who is also a Roush dealer. I am interested in having them add the 445hp Roushcharger to the car to maintain warranty. I have never had a blown car before so I don't have anything to compare this blower to. I have read and heard Saleen and Whipple have better blowers, but the location of this dealer and the "advertised" 145hp over stock with warranty has its advantages to me. I just want a fun, quick street car that I will bring to the drag strip every now and then. There is always someone faster so I am not looking to try to have the fastest car in town. So, on to the specific questions

1.)Roush advertises 145hp increase. How accurate is this? What have been the average rwhp numbers seen on this setup? Numbers on Mustang Dyno or Dynojet?

2.)To a certain degree, dyno numbers are useless so in street trim, meaning no stripped interior, no skinnies, etc. (drag radials are fine)..what have been typical 1/4 et and mph with this setup?

3.)Will the addition of a post-cat exhaust system or the addition of 4.10 gears (if gears installed through dealer) negate the factory or Roush's warranty? I ask about the exhaust because I thought I read somewhere on here where a Roushcharger owner lost his warranty due to exhaust work of some kind, sorry my memory is a little sketchy on that. This would be the only two other things I would be interested in doing to the car performance wise other than the s/c. May would eventually do some minor suspension work, but thats pretty much all. Otherwise, drive it and have fun.

4.)F-body rear ends wine ALOT with the addition of 4.10 gears. Expect the same from the Mustang?

5.)Lastly, a more general question. Any particular factory option that is a "must have" on the GT's?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

1. its pretty acurate
2. in the 12's
3.no idea if exhaust voids the warrenty, if it does, pull it off and put stock on to take it in
4. no idea
5. Manual, GT appearance package, shaker 1000

hope that helps =)
Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Roush's claims are probably accurate, although I cannot speak with any sort of authority on that.

Rule of thumb about warranties: (this is not applicable in all situations, but useful in most)
If you have to tune your car for a new mod, make sure you can remove that mod while returning the car to the stock tune, OR make sure it's a mod that can't really be detected and THEN re-tune the car to stock settings. The dealer might flash your computer back to stock as well. You probably don't want to have bolt-on mods that will render your car useless if your computer is flashed.

Axle-back exhausts have virtually no bearing on warranty work, unless you're trying to get the dealer to pay for a broken exhaust hanger backward of the rear axle or something to that effect.

Gears require your car to be re-tuned, and unless you bought them and had them installed FROM and BY the dealer, if a problem arises (aka gear whine, etc), the dealer will most likely "not feel compelled" to honor any sort of warranty. The gears on the S197's will whine if they are installed improperly. Some shops are known for their near-flawless installs. Members here will be happy to list names of shops with which they've had success.

The factory options you choose might want to reflect your intentions with the car. A buddy of mine opted out of any sort of Shaker sound system because he knew he was going to rip the whole thing out and replace it on his own with something infinitely better. (side note: the sound system comes in 3 tiers: basic...which is absolutely bare-bones, Shaker500 which thumps pretty good...some users report that the head unit tends to eat CD's like crazy, and the Shaker1000 which is the Shaker500 plus a dual 10-12" (not sure) sub box in the trunk) The same idea can be applied for wheel choice. If you know you're going to throw some sick wheels on there, don't pay extra for factory wheel options. If you plan on getting gears, don't go for the "3.55 w/limited slip rear differential" option. Figure out what your intentions are, and try to optimize your factory options selection accordingly.

One of the most common and popular factory options is the Interior Upgrade Package (IUP) which, among other things, comes with a computer readout in the speedometer area which can display anything from your trip odometer to average MPG to miles until empty to average speed. It also lets you change the backlight color of your speedometer, odometer, fuel, oil, temp, and voltage gauges (this is referred to as MyColor). Overall, the IUP is very popular with most.

I have the red leather which was a "must" for me haha. With the red leather came the "Premier trim package" which basically adds a lot of brushed aluminum trim to the dash and console area along with leather wrapping for the dash, armrests, and doors. Quite stylish, I must say.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Well welcome to the forum first off!

Second, it is a fact the roush will make the least power of the other choices out there due to its' roots type design, however, it sounds you are just looking for some extra seat of the pants fun and you'll get it.

As far as gears, the 'whining' your speaking of is 100% the nature of the install of the gears pure and simple. It doesn't matter make/brand/model - if you get whining - it is because of improper install.

Gears are not created equal. For example, the motives are a fantastic gear but they have almost 0 room for error and will whine if not installed 100% perfect. Whereas the FRPP (Ford racing Performance Products) gears can be 'off' in the install by a considerable margin and still be quiet as a mouse. They are no better or worse than the motives - but the install is what will make the difference. Bottom line, unless you are dealing with a very experienced installer, stick to the FRPP gears.

As far as your warranty concerns, I'll give you this little piece of wisdom. If a warranty is your primary concern, then the simple truth is you really shouldn't do any major mods like FI, etc. to the car.

There is always the 'chance' for something to go wrong or some excuse to be had to void it. Modding cars and warranties just don't go together and never will. I'm pretty sure the roush warranty is not void with gears as long as the gears are FRPP and installed by an authorized roush dealer.

The other thing you need to be aware of is the fact that you have to have everything done by an authorized roush dealer/installer and you will NEVER get the best power potential using any one of them. You are going to be stuck with a very conservative tune and bonded to that particular set-up whether you like it or not.

It is A LOT of money to shell out for the gains you are going to get IMO.

I would recommend you just add some basic bolt-on's and have a fun car under warranty or forget the warranty and go with something that will give you a lot more for the money.

After spending the big dough, I bet you will be disappointed very quickly if you ever 'play' with another modded car on the street.

Just my $.02
Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Delete...

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Redfire427

I can answer your Roush questions, as I own a 427R. Yes, the stated horsepower ratings are correct. My car was an early '07 build so it came with 427 horses which dynoed at 360rwhp. As for the Roush being a lesser charger than a Saleen........not a chance. There are a number of videos out there of the Roush killing the Saleen. A Whipple for sure is the cat's meow though. After installing my own custom aluminum pulleys that I manufacture for the Roush cars, my car now makes 421rwhp along with a CAI and SCT tune.

1/4 mile times are generally 12.6 -12.8 but I recall MMFF getting a 12.20 I'm not sure how on a stock 427R, but that is what they printed on the front cover.

I can't help with your other questions.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redfire427
I can answer your Roush questions, as I own a 427R. Yes, the stated horsepower ratings are correct. My car was an early '07 build so it came with 427 horses which dynoed at 360rwhp. As for the Roush being a lesser charger than a Saleen........not a chance. There are a number of videos out there of the Roush killing the Saleen. A Whipple for sure is the cat's meow though. After installing my own custom aluminum pulleys that I manufacture for the Roush cars, my car now makes 421rwhp along with a CAI and SCT tune.

1/4 mile times are generally 12.6 -12.8 but I recall MMFF getting a 12.20 I'm not sure how on a stock 427R, but that is what they printed on the front cover.

I can't help with your other questions.
LOL - come on - no offense but that is just plain silly.

There are over 10 guys with saleen cars in the 10's and only 1 roush that has hit a ten (and he [nitrous pete] is on the roush TVS blower...)

I'm all for product love, but no way the standard roush blower is ever going to make any real power...
Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Redfire427

Originally Posted by modaddict
LOL - come on - no offense but that is just plain silly.

There are over 10 guys with saleen cars in the 10's and only 1 roush that has hit a ten (and he [nitrous pete] is on the roush TVS blower...)

I'm all for product love, but no way the standard roush blower is ever going to make any real power...
I was referring to the way they come off the showroom floor. In other words, stock. With the set-up I have on my car right now, that little M90 is maxed-out for sure.

No doubt you have already seen this video.

http://webridestv.com/showvideo.aspx?video=29470
Old 02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

OP, if you really want a warranty blower I would find a Saleen dealer and get the 475 kit. Also you can get a whipple non intercooled kit installed by a regular for dealer and get a 12 month power train warranty.

Modding is addicting and the basic roush blower is very easy to max out. Highest I have seen a Roush car make is around 440rwhp and to me that is the ragged edge and the IAT's are probably crazy.

In this economy I would look around for a used stang with a blower already on it. You will pay pennies on the dollar and with the money you save start a savings account to fix stuff or upgrade.

Thats my 2 cents.