Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Grannatelli vs bbk /accufab throttle bodys

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

which is supposed to be the 6.8 V10 unit, which is only 100 bucks used, which is alot cheaper than buying an aftermarket one, which makes it a good bang for the buck, which makes me smart for figuring it out, which makes.......

Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

For $100 get it and let us know.

I'd like to see a back to back dyno run with CAI/cams(like hot rods)/headers/stock TB vs all that and a GT500 TB. SURELY with those mods it would do something.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i won't be able to get before and after dyno's, but the other guy was saying the only thing he had done was a CAI and he got 8 at the tires.

we'll see what happens

i seem to be the guinea pig lately with new/cheap parts. so far the ebay headers were a success with minor modifications and surely worth the 40 bucks i paid for them after they refunded some of my money for not being stainless.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Well good luck. I'm 99% sure we will see you back here asking about codes and problems...lol

Seriously, just about every other post already made the point so I'm not going to try convince you of the facts when you have your mind made up.

All I'll say is WHEN you have issues, remember you were warned...

WHY don't they work? It has a lot to do with the TPS, it's position, and the flow rate required for the set-up on the car, but the nuts and bolts of it is that there is no possible way with any of your mods that you will ever need more flow than the stock TB is going to give. This is the ONLY reason you switch TB's (because more flow is needed for your set-up) and, as already pointed out and it's true) you won't need more flow even with FI until you breach the very high 500 rwhp area.

Also remember when you change airflow, you must revise your tune also.

The best thing I can tell you is that dyno numbers don't mean squat 99% of the time. Mainly because it is extremely rare that that dyno comparisons were done under identical conditions. Not just weather, temp, etc. but also just a single mod change. It is very rare a dyno increase can be tracked to a specific mod because most of the time - numerous little things have been altered from the original pull...

Lastly, I would feel I was doing you a dis-service if I didn't point out that used and cheap parts don't always mean save you money. Sometimes, skimping on parts ends up costing you far more than you could have imagined..
Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

me thinky your the kind of person who's never gotten a part from a junk yard. getting a part from a running motor thats only a couple years old is no different than using the part thats on my couple year old car - and should last as long as my original unit would.

now, i asked doug @ bamachips about needing a tune update and he said no. im pretty sure he knows more about tuning than pretty much anyone on this forum.

lastly, the dyno results im talking about were pulls made on the same day. the only thing that changed was the throttle body, and the only time between the two pulls was cooldown time so that things would be equal.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's common (and normal) to do multiple puls the same day and get results that deviate by as much as 5-8%. On a bone stock GT that could be as much as 13-21 RWHP difference between runs. How can you pick-up on 8RWHP gain and feel confident about it?

Do as you wish. As modaddict stated, we'll be here to see how it works (or doesn't work).

Last edited by Nuke; 02-06-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: opps, quoted the wrong person
Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

me thinky your the kind of person who's never gotten a part from a junk yard. getting a part from a running motor thats only a couple years old is no different than using the part thats on my couple year old car - and should last as long as my original unit would.

now, i asked doug @ bamachips about needing a tune update and he said no. im pretty sure he knows more about tuning than pretty much anyone on this forum.
Like I said...

good luck...

Just so you know, I have bought tons of used parts for numerous builds but they are always the 'right' parts. Having experience to know what is the 'right' parts helps - if you do - then you are good to go but I suspect you don't from the content in your posts.

Secondly, Doug is a great guy and offers some good tuning - tell him you told chevykiller what you said and let me know what he says...

Last edited by modaddict; 02-06-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

why, is he going to dispute that he's a good tuner?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:02 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Nope - but I'll bet he'll dispute he knows more about tuning than anyone on this forum...
Old 02-06-2009, 04:12 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

he certainly knows more than most, and if he says a new throttle body doesnt need a tune i trust that. if i put it on and its not right, i'll go from there.

for 400 bucks its not worth trying, for 100 it surely is worth trying.

Quick Reply: Grannatelli vs bbk /accufab throttle bodys