Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shelby Cobra Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM
phimutau

Default Shelby Cobra Instrument Cluster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an 06 GT and I want to swap the instrument cluster out for one out of a Shelby Cobra. Is the plug in the back compatible? I have seen the Shelby Cluster out of the package and noticed the yellow plug in on the back. I was just wondering if you could just unplug the 06 GT and swap them out?

Can anyone help me on this one?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

You can switch them out just as you can with the mycolor. The boost gauge will not work though. There is a write up in the stickies on it.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

You will also need to have the 'module' configured
at the dealership. Its not a plug-n-play swap.

Insturment Cluster
Module Configuration
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

will the saleen cluster work?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by r3velation
will the saleen cluster work?
If you can get Saleen to configure the module for you.
The Stealership cant deal with Saleen modified clusters.
They dont have the Saleen configuration data.

Last edited by 157dB; 02-10-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by phimutau
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an 06 GT and I want to swap the instrument cluster out for one out of a Shelby Cobra. Is the plug in the back compatible? I have seen the Shelby Cluster out of the package and noticed the yellow plug in on the back. I was just wondering if you could just unplug the 06 GT and swap them out?

Can anyone help me on this one?
Check this link out on another Mustang forum. Somes answers there.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=477519
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

You have 2 options, Have it programed with your "best guess" miles on it. Or have it come set at zero miles on it. Of course its better to have it preprogramed with your current mileage with your best guess of your mileage by the time it comes in and you have it installed. The boost gage will not work unless you can figure out the wiring for it and do some testing to find out how to make it work. (I'm sure someone will find a way to get it to work soon and come post and tell us how to do it) Also, the "SVT" is also a shift light and I can't remember reading if it will work or not. But everything else will work just fine with your car I'm also planing on do this mod soon.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
phimutau

I appreciate all the info guys. I think I will take it to the dealer and see what I can get done. I haven't done anything to her in a long time, and I have gotten the fever again. The new cluster will give me a different look which will make it like a new car again, for me anyways. Thanks to all who replied
Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Srt2Stang725
2nd Gear Member

if i were to order a cluster with the mileage already programmed into it, would i have to bring it to the dealer to get it installed? or can i install it myself? Is there anything else they need to program once the cluster is in the car?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 PM
BRIAN67SHELBY

Originally Posted by Srt2Stang725
if i were to order a cluster with the mileage already programmed into it, would i have to bring it to the dealer to get it installed? or can i install it myself? Is there anything else they need to program once the cluster is in the car?
I know that this may not apply to your set up considering that you probably have a newer car than me. I have a 2003 Mach1 mustang that I changed the speedo cluster out for a 2001 Cobra 160 MPH cluster. Everything worked fine, but I had some issues with accuracy of the speedo. Apparently, when you use your own circuit board, the circuit board is still a 150 mph board and will not line up correctly for a 160 gauge thus being 5-10 MPH off. I would imagine that this would have to be corrected either by the dealership or you would have to pull the needles and through trial and error may be able to correctly set the MPH that way. Just thought I would include this info for you guys wishing to upgrade to a 160. If anybody has info that the dealership can correct this please let me know. thanks

Quick Reply: Shelby Cobra Instrument Cluster