Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Default CAI filter

How often should I clean and re-oil the filter?
Also, what type of oil is recommended?

None of this is mentioned (surprise!) in my owner's manual...

Thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I do mine once a year. A k&n or S&b cleaning kit will do the trick.
all be it, mine is not a bullitt CAI. How much can they differ ya know.

edit : not driven in winter months.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:41 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

I have been running my JLT for about 17 months and 15,000 miles without cleaning the filter.
But I'm about to order a new replacement filter from Brenspeed on Monday.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 AM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rshamekh
I have been running my JLT for about 17 months and 15,000 miles without cleaning the filter.
But I'm about to order a new replacement filter from Brenspeed on Monday.
Buy the K&N filter cleaning kit & clean & reoil yours instead of buying a new one. They are made to be cleaned.
I've cleaned mine twice in 36K.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have the Steeda and I have about 20,000 miles on it. I should have cleaned mine already but I'm lazy. I've heard a lot of talk that you can let them go a really long time but I just don't feel comfortable doing that.

I just ordered the Steeda cleaning kit for $13 + s&h. A new Steeda filter is $54. If my Stang was my DD, I'd have ordered both so I could rotate 2 filters. It takes at least a day to clean one including washing, drying and reoiling. Mine is blue when it's clean and it's an ugly grey right now.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:00 AM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LanceH
How often should I clean and re-oil the filter?
Also, what type of oil is recommended?

None of this is mentioned (surprise!) in my owner's manual...

Thanks
If you still have the stock air filter on it, don't oil it! It is a dry type filter. I just put a Bullit intake on mine for just that reason.

Every 5000 or so miles, depending on conditions, take it off and tap it on a clean area, paper towel, or something like that and see how much stuff falls out. If it looks like a lot to you, you must replace that filter.

Frank
Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 AM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
If you still have the stock air filter on it, don't oil it! It is a dry type filter. I just put a Bullit intake on mine for just that reason.

Every 5000 or so miles, depending on conditions, take it off and tap it on a clean area, paper towel, or something like that and see how much stuff falls out. If it looks like a lot to you, you must replace that filter.

Frank
Are you sure about that?
I was under the impression that it was an oiled filter (it feels slightly oiled).
I guess I will have to check with the dealership when I pick up some parts I ordered this week.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Air filter

I have been using K&N filters for years. I put a K&N CAI system on my '06 GT. I have never been totally comfortable with the re-oiling thing. My son has an '04 GT and got into a problem with too much oil and screwed up his MAF sensor. I finally decided to switch to Amsoil's air filter. It requires no oil and filters better than a K&N. You take it off every 25K miles, tap it and blow the dirt off and replace it. You replace it every 100K miles. Works for me.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have also dealt with oiled drop-in filters in 2 of my old Toyotas. I eventually returned to paper filters in those cars because I was constantly contaminating the MAF no matter how much oil I'd get out of the filter after cleaning and re-oiling.

I checked on-line with Amsoil for a replacement for my Steeda filter and then called their tech support. They didn't have an exact match (close but no cigar) so I settled for the cleaning kit. I haven't received it yet but I'm curious to see if it includes filter oil.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Len

Originally Posted by LanceH
Are you sure about that?
I was under the impression that it was an oiled filter (it feels slightly oiled).
I guess I will have to check with the dealership when I pick up some parts I ordered this week.

Thanks for the heads-up.
It's a dry filter. FRPP part # M-9601-B. Should cost about $33 new. I prefer it over an oiled one, no maintenance and it's not that expensive.

Quick Reply: CAI filter