Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Paxton or Vortech for dummies like myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
I'll be getting it done in May sometime. I have to wait for a 4 day weekend from the Army and make a trip maybe take a couple days off. I called brenspeed and they said I have to give them an exact date so they can fit me in. I wish they were coming out with the twin screw sooner but I'm impatient for the drag strip this summer... oh well.. thanks everyone for your input...
I'll be at Brenspeed June 1st for a SuperShaker install. Let me know if/when you get your install scheduled, and maybe we could meet up. I'm already going to try to see Toy4Bob as his SuperShaker will be a few months running by then.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 AM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Info about the Vortech air/air cooler kits can be found on their website. It's almost identical to the Paxton kit.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

I'll surely let you know when I get the install... I looked at the air to air cooler on their website last night. I wish brenspeed carried it but I guess its almost identical to the paxton anyways. If I didnt have a stock hood scoop then I'd probably buy the saleen.. good luck with the install and I'll keep you updated... thanks for the info also big ray
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM
hypersurf1
2nd Gear Member

They are the same unit basically. Both are available with the Self Lubricating system now. Both are available with the air/air intercooler which is better then the air/water intercooler. If you want to be safe get the non Intercooled version of either system. That will put out around 390-420rwhp depending on tuner. The intercooled version of either system will put out 460-500rwhp and is in the rod breaking territory. I got the Paxton 2200 SL with air/air intercooler which dynoed 499rwhp on my car. I am very worried about breaking a rod so I had Brenspeed give me a very conservative 91 octane tune. If I were to do it again I would have gotten the Non Intercooled version to be safer and still have plenty of power. The power of the Intercooled system is simply rediculous. We are talking you could run high 10's to low 11's in the 1/4 mile with the 2200SL and gears with slicks. With the non Intercooled version you should still be able to go low 12's to high 11's. I highly recommend the non IC version unless you want to go really really fast and can afford to blow your engine.

Either way its a high quality system with great power I love the sound, power, and look of my Paxton. Plus breaking the wheels lose at 80mph is kinda fun too.

Last edited by hypersurf1; 02-27-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I went with the Brenspeed Paxton set-up due to the air-air IC. I've had it for nearly 2 years and it's been trouble free. Although it is not my DD. Like hypersurf1 mentioned above it makes insane power as I dynoed in at 483rwhp in an auto
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Doesn't adding an IC allow you to generate more power without having to add more boost?

Why would it then be more likely to blow the engine?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The HO kits are setup to run more boost (~10+ psi) and put out more power. I think he was referring to the power levels being in the engine blowing territory on the HO kits. You COULD buy an HO kit and set it up to run 8lbs of boost and less power, but I'm not sure that would be worth all the extra money.

The only reason that Paxton 2200 HO isn't on my car right now is because the power level was beyond my comfort level on the stock block. Also, I'm running stock suspension/tires with no problems on the non-IC kit. Adding another 50-75rwhp would have probably necessitated even more money spent in supporting mods like those items, and also of course you start to jeopardize parts such as the tranny and clutch more and more. IMO it all comes down to how much risk you wanna take and how much $ you wanna spend...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

You're forgetting about the fact that the HO kit comes with a smaller pulley. Regardless of what's downstream of the head unit, you're not going to make much more power unless the impeller spins faster, and you need a smaller pulley to do that.

Get the aftercooler.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Well, I'd recommend putting a little more thought into the process than "Get the aftercooler." I see a bunch of people running HO kits that claim to be afraid of blowing the car up on a constant basis. Gee, sounds like a blast...? Buy the kit / setup that most closely matches YOUR power expectations, desired risk, and wallet.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Given the same pulley size will the HO kit put out more power due to the IC or not?

Mudflap it looks to me like you're pretty close to the territory I want to be in eventually. Just over 400whp. Given the altitude I'm at (3700') then I might have to do something else to make up for the difference.

Maybe headers and DS would make up for it.

Quick Reply: Paxton or Vortech for dummies like myself