Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Paxton or Vortech for dummies like myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
Mudflap, see my sig? I think I've put quite a bit of thought into my set up. The cooler the air, the better, both for horsepower and the likelihood of premature detonation (which is what breaks rods and pistons). Just because you have a kit that will make over 450 rwhp doesn't mean you actually have to. It's pretty simple: tune it to whatever power level you want. But at the same time, it's better and safer to run cooler air.
Hey look I never said YOUR setup was not well thought out man, and I have no desire for a pissing contest. It wasn't a jab at you. When you throw out random statements that cost $1200+ in hardware however, you run the risk of steering people in a certain direction that may or may not be the best choice for them. I only said something because I wish I had been able to find more objectivity back when I spent months researching, but mostly I found blanket statements like yours which just don't serve the newbie very well. There are quite a few non-intercooled FI vehicles running around out there (mustangs and otherwise) that simply aren't exploding randomly. No matter what you're running, get a bad tune, and its over...

At 8 lbs of boost, an intercooler just isn't a required piece of hardware. This is even further the case with a centrifugal blower where boost is progressive, because that 8lbs is peak boost at peak RPM. On a hot day with a proper tune, timing will be reduced due to the high intake temp resulting in less power, and ultimately helping to protect the motor. This happens to a lesser degree on an intercooled setup, but its not immune. I've said it many times before, an intercooler is never a BAD idea. I wouldn't talk anyone out of it, however I would also say to anyone looking to go FI to do your research. These kits cost THOUSANDS of dollars. I'm just trying to urge anyone looking at one to consider all options and find the right setup for themselves.

Last edited by Mudflap; 02-27-2009 at 04:57 PM.