Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ZEX nitrous question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Double post.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 02-27-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLZ314
I'd like to do it all in one shot (no pun intended) so I'd pick a kit and make sure to add a window switch and bottle warmer?

About how long does a bottle last?
Longer than what you think. You usually won't be going from 0-110 mph on the street. For me it's usually 0-80 mph or on a on ramp up to highway speeds. But, hey, everyone is different. Usually, my bottle lasts into the mid-teens at least. I don't drive the car everyday, so I tend to loose track.

I find the NX equation they've posted on their website is a decent rule of thumb:

0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 hp
0.6 lbs N20 X 10 seconds = 75 hp or...
0.6 lbs for every 10 seconds of nitrous use on a 75 shot.

A 10 lbs bottle (standard) has about 7 lbs of usable nitrous. (You cannot use all 10 lbs.) That's about 1:57 seconds of continuous use on a 75 shot. If you use it 10 seconds at a time, then that's 15 or 16 shots.

Your car does 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds stock, so that might give you some idea about how long you'll use the system. Everyone drives differently. I've found that nitrous is actually quite usable, much more so than what people online told me. I guess that's why it's so popular...

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 02-27-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

TestUser, thanks again for a solid post!

How do your interior n2o parts look? So not to be vague, I mean, how did you mount your gauges and switches? I was thinking about adding an aftermarket stereo and using the open space left by that to mount the switches and gauges, or possibly the hollow buttons by the AC plug on the dash. I'd rather not lose a cupholder; DD and all.

How about everyone else; anyone seen anything clever looking, or any ideas of their own on a good mounting system for the interior components of a nitrous system?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

TestUser, thanks again for a solid post!

How do your interior n2o parts look? So not to be vague, I mean, how did you mount your gauges and switches? I was thinking about adding an aftermarket stereo and using the open space left by that to mount the switches and gauges, or possibly the hollow buttons by the AC plug on the dash. I'd rather not lose a cupholder; DD and all.

How about everyone else; anyone seen anything clever looking, or any ideas of their own on a good mounting system for the interior components of a nitrous system?
Here's a link to a long write up I did on another board. It's complete with video and photos. I've upgrade the system a little since then with a new tune 75 shot and nitrous pressure gauge, which can be mounted on the bottle.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...w-nos-kit.html

Regarding gauges. The nice thing about nitrous is it's predictability... pressure with temperature. I only check the pressure gauge in the trunk periodically. Fuel pressure is important to monitor to make sure there isn't a problem with your pump, however, a fuel pressure safety switch is even more critical.

I selected a 30 psi switch, even though the pump runs about 38 or 39 psi. When you go wide open throttle the pressure drops a bit, seems to me it's about 35 or 36 psi. A 35 psi switch would actually run the risk of shutting the system down under normal conditions. You can also get an adjustable switch, more expensive a more tunable, but I found the off the shelf component worked well.

You don't want to spray if the pressure is over 1100 psi, which happens at about 97 degrees. (there are tables of pressure vs. temperature available online) Nitrous pressure gauges do NOT tell you how much nitrous you have left. You have to weight the bottle to tell. That's one reason many people simply mount them on the bottle. That way, you can turn on the system, check the pressure at the track, and know you've heated the bottle all the way up.

I'm using an Aeroforce gauge to monitor the pressure at the fuel rail. It's expensive, but there aren't any wires to run and it adds lots of functionality. The other two are an outside thermometer and oil pressure gauge (since the factory one is fake). I added those gauges before doing the nitrous, otherwise, I would have probably just done a nitrous pressure gauge (Autometer Cobalt is a good match) and the Aeroforce gauge.

Speed of Sound LLC makes some nice pods and a nice cupholder switch panel. I didn't purchase their unit because I still wanted the storage room. If you mount your switches like mine, then be careful about selecting their locations. You only have so much room and you don't want to make a mistake with the drill!!!

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 03-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Oh, oh yes, that looks killer!
...and what a post, thanks a million.

After reading that one, I might install the system, then take the ride over to a custom stereo shop and have them wire up the gauges. Since I'm on having a new stereo installed and they'll have the dash apart, why not pony up a little more for some slick interior work? I'd like to keep it as stock looking as possible. Plus, just like you, I'd like to retain those cupholders.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:19 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

TestUser is this the kit you had used:
http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/product_p/nos-02121nos.htm

I'm trying to find the best price, although I'm saddened that I won't be able to pick-up my N2O from Brenspeed. I've loved their service, they've done all of my tunes so far, and have been fantastic to work with. But since I've read that with a 75hp shot I don't need to retune, I guess I can go anywhere to get the kit. It looks like the "NOS" kit is the best bet for the beginner nitrous user.

I'm thinking I'll do my N2O in two stages. I'd like to install the kit, then in a few months go back and upgrade to the extra items not included; add all the gauges, remote opener, bottle opener, and anything I've decided might better my situation. I'd be okay if I just ran the advertised kit, right? I realize I'd save some time if I did the install all at once but the bug is biting.....
Old 03-12-2009, 05:20 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

...I meant to write:
remote opener, bottle WARMER....
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

TestUser is this the kit you had used:
http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/product_p/nos-02121nos.htm

I'm trying to find the best price, although I'm saddened that I won't be able to pick-up my N2O from Brenspeed. I've loved their service, they've done all of my tunes so far, and have been fantastic to work with. But since I've read that with a 75hp shot I don't need to retune, I guess I can go anywhere to get the kit. It looks like the "NOS" kit is the best bet for the beginner nitrous user.

I'm thinking I'll do my N2O in two stages. I'd like to install the kit, then in a few months go back and upgrade to the extra items not included; add all the gauges, remote opener, bottle opener, and anything I've decided might better my situation. I'd be okay if I just ran the advertised kit, right? I realize I'd save some time if I did the install all at once but the bug is biting.....
Yes, that's the kit and you're fine to run it with nothing else.

You can run a 75 shot on a STOCK tune, NOT a Brenspeed tune that isn't specifically designed for nitrous. You may get away with it, but I wouldn't recommend doing it. For safety sake you should return to the stock tune or get a nitrous tune written. Bamachips has written all of my tunes for my NOS kit.

If you want to do it in stages, then that should be fine, since the NOS kit already includes a wide open throttle switch/window switch combo.

The NOS kit is missing a fuel pressure safety switch, which could protect your engine if the fuel pump fails. Chances are yours won't fail between now and when you do put one one. However, the part is only $20.

Edelbrock makes a nice 30 psi unit you can buy from JEGS, Summit or anywhere on the internet. Fuel pressure is around 40 psi for our cars, but under wide open throttle it will momentarily drop to 32 psi or so. That makes a 30 psi switch perfect for the Mustang in my opinion.

You'll need an adapter with an NPT threaded fuel pressure port for the FPSS. Mine is from Earl's performance, but lots of companies make them. You can always call NOS for assistance, they're extremely helpful and their techs are very knowledgeable.

The FPSS can go anywhere before your fuel solenoid. If you have an FPSS, then you don't really need a fuel pressure gauge (although I have one!). If something were to go wrong, then the FPSS should automatically shut the nitrous off. Still, manually monitoring a situation is always a good idea.

If you're going to race on a track, then you'll need a blow down tube and adapter for the bottle. Otherwise, the bottle is in the trunk, so you should be fine without it.

The only time you need to worry about bottle pressure is when you're at the track and want to get the best hit or during extreme summer temperatures. No company recommends using a nitrous system about 1100 psi, which occurs at a temperature of 97 degrees. If it's really hot out, then I won't spray until I've had a chance to check the gauge in the trunk. Most of the year I don't even need to worry much about bottle pressure from a safety standpoint.

I've never had it reach 1100 psi and it can and does get hot here in Virginia during the summer. Having the bottle in the trunk isolates it from the heat that can build up in the cabin. A bottle blanket will also keep your bottle from heating up in the summer and getting too cold in the winter. I believe a JEGS or Summit brand blanket is only $25.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 03-14-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

just curious but is nitrous legal in any states?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 AM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read: most places it isn't illegal to have nitrous. Getting caught running it is. That is to say; you can have your car plumbed for n2o but can't have the bottle hooked up while on the street. That's how it goes (per another forum user) in Pennsylvania. So depending on where you live, make sure you don't pop your trunk when you get pulled-over.

Quick Reply: ZEX nitrous question...