Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

who has had engine issues after going FI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:50 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stage4
mine blew... ran it at 460rwhp and 9 psi for awhile.. then went to 11psi and 525rwhp. Rod let go at about 4000 rpm (torque peak) after shifting into 4th while shooting some videos for brenspeed haha. I don't care what anyone says about "it's all in the tune", these crap rods aren't meant for that level of power. I'm glad it went actually, now i don't have to worry about it blowing randomly in the middle of nowhere, and it was way easier to explain to the wife when there's no other option to get our new car running again

was yours # 8 also?

thats pretty much what happened to mine as well, ill be calling MMR in the next few weeks,LOL.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:02 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

07 S197 blew his engine with a paxton at 12psi. There were 2 turboed cars using the hellion kit that blew the motor. 1 KB kit that blew on only 8psi, probably tune related. I know i've read about a few saleens that blew, those were supercharged from the factory and people were blaming the factory saleen tune for those failures. There were a couple others that I can't remember.

I'm not to worried about my motor with the stock whipple tune.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

kolb02 had his saleen blow. It was over 10 pounds at the time. Can't remember whether it was a custom tune or what he had loaded on there.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stage4
mine blew... ran it at 460rwhp and 9 psi for awhile.. then went to 11psi and 525rwhp. Rod let go at about 4000 rpm (torque peak) after shifting into 4th while shooting some videos for brenspeed haha. I don't care what anyone says about "it's all in the tune", these crap rods aren't meant for that level of power. I'm glad it went actually, now i don't have to worry about it blowing randomly in the middle of nowhere, and it was way easier to explain to the wife when there's no other option to get our new car running again
Are you sure your boost didn't spike? What kind of wastegate does the hellion kit come with? boost controller?

I found this video explaining how the wastegate works along with a manual boost controller.

http://www.tuneyfish.com/video_player.php?vid=235

It seems like a boost controller would be more likely to overboost since it causes the wastegate to open at the last minute.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default Safety in Low Boost?

Not a direct answer to your question but I'm thinking of doing this system due to the fact it's supposed to deliver decent HP at only 5 psi. I think the fact there's a lot less stress involved to make power may help the rods last. Any comments on this system? Be sure to watch the 2 videos. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...injected.shtml
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BoidMorphs
Not a direct answer to your question but I'm thinking of doing this system due to the fact it's supposed to deliver decent HP at only 5 psi. I think the fact there's a lot less stress involved to make power may help the rods last. Any comments on this system? Be sure to watch the 2 videos. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...injected.shtml

just start a new thread if you want info about edlebrock s/c, its been discussed ....keep this thread about the topic please!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BoidMorphs
There isn't much feedback about the edlebrock blowers yet. If you want to get one now and only run 5psi, then brenspeeds saleen package is the way to go, IMO. Their stage 1 kit is supposed to make 470hp at the flywheel.

No one has thrown on an edlebrock, with their supplied tune, and dynoed it yet, to my knowledge.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

Well, i think it was cylinder 8 that started the chaos. 7 snapped also, but 8 was in more pieces. I had holes in both sides of the block, 2 bent valves, a destroyed windage tray, and a whole lot of shrapnel in the pan. Hard to say which rod went first.

I'd also recommend staying away from MMR. My motor has worked great, but I know a lot that haven't and i watched one of theirs lose an oil pump on the dyno. The worst part is their customer service. After my last transaction with them I wouldn't touch that crap with a 10 foot pole

Moosestang - Hellion come with a turbonetics evolution wastegate stock. It's been very reliable for me. You are correct though, controllers usually do more than the wastegate itself, but either one can have issues and cause boost spikes if it doesn't open at the right time.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Mine exploded. But it was tune related as I choose those the wrong tune on the CMR diablo downloader without knowing. I have no idea how many rods and pistons went. I assume all of them did. There was cracks through the block on both sides of the motor towards the front.

I had my boost spike one time when I had pinched a vacuum line. I have the Tial 38 mm wastegate and works very well.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:05 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Been running close to 500wheel with a lot of passes at the track on 10 psi whipple with VMP dynotune. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the 12 psi pulley and getting a new dynotune so keep this thread nice and warm for me....

Quick Reply: who has had engine issues after going FI?