Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

who has had engine issues after going FI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Been running close to 500wheel with a lot of passes at the track on 10 psi whipple with VMP dynotune. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the 12 psi pulley and getting a new dynotune so keep this thread nice and warm for me....

lol,you should go ahead and start putting money aside for the rebuild. i thought i would have made it 2 years before i needed to go forged...how wrong i was.i made it 1 week and 1 day,LOL!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
07 S197
2nd Gear Member

mine blew on 12psi after almost a year and 12k miles. Snapped #7 rod and exited the block. My motor didnt really owe me anything, it was driven hard with tons of track passes. I know a car that had a hellion kit put on and blew 2 hours after it was done, due to spinning and hitting the rev limiter. Broke a couple of rods also.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i just spoke to a mcahine shop, a guy who seems to know his stuff. we told me what was wrong before i even said anything,i just told him i had a 07 gt....him,"so #7 and #8 rod is knocking?", he said with the oil supply on these motors, #7 and #8 rods get bent pretty regular. some place in clearwater has sent him 50 motors with the same problem over the years. he said ill need a new steal crank to go with the rods and pistons.yeah me!!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

The most consistent factor in all the engines being blown that i've heard about seem to be running high PSI (as long as the tune is fine).. and that is also what a friend told me.. pushing 500rwhp on his new stock block after blowing his old one, getting a built block, then getting a new car.. he is much more confident about it than his old one because he is running much less boost than he was before.

Honestly I'd be worried about a turbo only because there are more things that can go wrong.. although I'm sure there are 2x as many people running them fine than people with issues.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Personally going over about 9 pounds would give me the heebeegeebees. I just don't trust my luck after that.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Whipple HO @ 10psi with VMP Dyno tune made the numbers in my sig.

I have about 12k miles S/C with no issue's to report. I dont drag the car and drive it fairly tame most of the time.

I will say Justin's tune was running around 12.0 A/F at WOT and I added about 5% more fuel at WOT to get me around 10.9-11.5.

You have me thinking of going back to my 8psi pulley instead of selling it.

If I had to go forged I would be between a FRPP aluminator or finding an 03 cobra SB and just changing pistons, or having Livernois make me a SB with an iron block and "enough" internals to get me a safe 600rwhp.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I don't want a situation where I feel like I have to be conservative. I want to be able to drive the car pretty hard. Whatever that means as far as a limit on boost goes for a stock engine I don't know.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

thats my problem, i drove it like a rapped ape at the track and beat on it hard, but if it was going to go then it was going to go. it sucks but atleast ill have a built block out of the deal with no more worries once its all done.once i do get it back up and running ill bump the boost just a little to get me into the 550HP range.

my a/f ratio was the same with justins tune, i was hitting 12.1 at full boost which i thought was a little high, next time ill make sure its down a bit.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
thats my problem, i drove it like a rapped ape at the track and beat on it hard, but if it was going to go then it was going to go. it sucks but atleast ill have a built block out of the deal with no more worries once its all done.once i do get it back up and running ill bump the boost just a little to get me into the 550HP range.

my a/f ratio was the same with justins tune, i was hitting 12.1 at full boost which i thought was a little high, next time ill make sure its down a bit.
Well then you know you weren't at 12.1 when the boost hit 11.x.

What would the oil supply have to do with the rods bending? Does he mean they don't get cooled as much as the other rods?

I'm assuming the guy knew you had a turbo on it, i've never heard of anyone loosing a rod on a mostly stock car.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Well then you know you weren't at 12.1 when the boost hit 11.x.

What would the oil supply have to do with the rods bending? Does he mean they don't get cooled as much as the other rods?

I'm assuming the guy knew you had a turbo on it, i've never heard of anyone loosing a rod on a mostly stock car.
he said he has fixed over 50 motors with the same issue, its always #7 and #8 by fords design. i guess those 2 rods dont have as good oil supply as the rest and get hotter.yeah, he knows i have a turbo.i guess theres a spped shop or something in clearwater he does business with, they send him any fubared motors to be fixed??

Quick Reply: who has had engine issues after going FI?