Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

who has had engine issues after going FI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Default who has had engine issues after going FI?

just curious, my motor lasted a whopping week after my dyno tune.Im not sure what is at fault yet, i had the proper size injectors and fuel pump, proper plugs at the correct gap and a dyno tune.so id like to hear of anyone else who has had issues and what came from it,did you go forged?

ill go first:
dyno tuned by VMP:446hp @9PSI
i think a rod/piston expired on cylinder #8 while boosting to 11.4
cause: not known just yet
Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

you'll be turbo #3, that blew then
got forged. not saying anything bad
about turbos, just trying to think
of FI's in recent history who went kaboom.

can't think of any who are non turbo, who
ran the system as it came from the
factory.

i know yours will come back stronger than
ever, so hang in there,
Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that *****... get her back stronger than before... I know thats gotta be devestating...
Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Gryphon
1st Gear Member

Makes me a tad nervous as I have my Hellion kit sitting next to me ready to be installed in a few weeks....

Brent @ Brenspeed wrote my tune...safe tune @ 8psi for 430ish horse....safe I guess if you want to call it that, we will see what happens

Ill let you know if I have issues and so on
Old 02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

just remember your set up is only as good as the weakest link. i bought a very well known name brand wastegate made by turbonetics, it spiked and my boost went where it shouldnt have. i will never buy anything with that name on it again, after having this issue i have found others with the same problem with thier wastegate, the wastegate simply does not open all the way to allow the valve to regulate the boost properly.i had spikes and knew it, but i risked it anyway, lesson learned.

who are the others that blew motors on turbo,id like to know what actually happened to thier motor,rod or piston and which cylinder.

taco bill lost # 8 rod on his vortech set up.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I've been running 7-8 psi on my Saleen kit tuned by Brenspeed for ~12k miles, no problems yet.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i won't name names, but if they want to
weigh in and share the story that's their
call.

Originally Posted by one eyed *****

who are the others that blew motors on turbo
Old 03-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

the fact is the motor was built for 300 hp, the rods are not very strong and putting 50% more power thru the motor is a risk. any production product (motor or anything else) has certain allowable variations to the build spec for cost reasons. IMHO some rods are just not as strong as others due to metallurgy/casting differences. so its a crap shoot

that being said, I just went to 12lbs and 460whp.....
Old 03-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Gryphon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
just remember your set up is only as good as the weakest link. i bought a very well known name brand wastegate made by turbonetics, it spiked and my boost went where it shouldnt have. i will never buy anything with that name on it again, after having this issue i have found others with the same problem with thier wastegate, the wastegate simply does not open all the way to allow the valve to regulate the boost properly.i had spikes and knew it, but i risked it anyway, lesson learned.

who are the others that blew motors on turbo,id like to know what actually happened to thier motor,rod or piston and which cylinder.

taco bill lost # 8 rod on his vortech set up.
Wait wait....I go the turbo x2 (from turbonetics) upgrade wastegate/bov from hellion as an upgrade....dont tell me you got the same name part that I got and had these problems with it....hopefully it was something else?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

mine blew... ran it at 460rwhp and 9 psi for awhile.. then went to 11psi and 525rwhp. Rod let go at about 4000 rpm (torque peak) after shifting into 4th while shooting some videos for brenspeed haha. I don't care what anyone says about "it's all in the tune", these crap rods aren't meant for that level of power. I'm glad it went actually, now i don't have to worry about it blowing randomly in the middle of nowhere, and it was way easier to explain to the wife when there's no other option to get our new car running again

Quick Reply: who has had engine issues after going FI?