Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got my oil analyzed

Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Got my oil analyzed

Here's the labs comments. I didn't tell them I had a blower pushing 10psi of boost through the motor. I did say i lived in a very dusty area (dirt roads). I'm surprised there isn't more gas in the oil. I made sure to do a few wide open throttle runs right before I got home. I guess the rings on these cars seal really well.

PAUL: Your 4.6L V-8 appears to be wearing well at 25,000 miles. The universal averages show typical
wear for this engine after 3,800 miles of oil use. Your 5W/30 oil was in service for a total of 3,500 miles and
all of the wear metals we found read right around those averages. That is a good indication of normally
wearing parts. Silicon was low at 10 ppm, showing no problems at the air filtration/induction system.
Insolubles were also low at 0.3% of the sample indicating very good oil filtration. No gas or coolant was
present in the sample. Nice wearing Mustang GT!

Here's a screen shot of the report. Mobil 1 5w30, the 3500 miles is a guess, it could be only 3,000, but no more than 4,000. Looks like I could run this oil much longer, which i figured.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

That's sweet. I've got a kit sitting here at the house.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
That's sweet. I've got a kit sitting here at the house.
That was blackstone labs, for anyone wondering. It cost $22.50 plus shipping to them.

I'm doing my bike next. I'm really curious to see how much zinc and phosphorus is left in the Valvoline VR1 racing oil, that i'm using.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That doesn't surprise me at that low a mileage but it's satisfying to know that all's ok. Looking forward to the subsequent results. How many more miles before your next test? Another 3500-4000 miles?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Here's the labs comments. I didn't tell them I had a blower pushing 10psi of boost through the motor. I did say i lived in a very dusty area (dirt roads). I'm surprised there isn't more gas in the oil. I made sure to do a few wide open throttle runs right before I got home. I guess the rings on these cars seal really well.

PAUL: Your 4.6L V-8 appears to be wearing well at 25,000 miles. The universal averages show typical
wear for this engine after 3,800 miles of oil use. Your 5W/30 oil was in service for a total of 3,500 miles and
all of the wear metals we found read right around those averages. That is a good indication of normally
wearing parts. Silicon was low at 10 ppm, showing no problems at the air filtration/induction system.
Insolubles were also low at 0.3% of the sample indicating very good oil filtration. No gas or coolant was
present in the sample. Nice wearing Mustang GT!

Here's a screen shot of the report. Mobil 1 5w30, the 3500 miles is a guess, it could be only 3,000, but no more than 4,000. Looks like I could run this oil much longer, which i figured.

I noticed that they didnt list the TBN. So, dont know if the oil had any life left in it.

It would be nice to know what a virgin sample tests at.

Might be able to find it here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Good numbers though.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT John
I noticed that they didnt list the TBN. So, dont know if the oil had any life left in it.

It would be nice to know what a virgin sample tests at.

Might be able to find it here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Good numbers though.

I didn't pay for a TBN, that's $10 extra. I'm not really concerned with running it longer, but just judging by the additives left and what a virgin sample shows, it looks like it has some life left. There are a few virgin samples on that site.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it would be interesting to know what
the rod and main bearings are coated
with, as well as what makes up the piston
ring material.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
That doesn't surprise me at that low a mileage but it's satisfying to know that all's ok. Looking forward to the subsequent results. How many more miles before your next test? Another 3500-4000 miles?

I will probably go to 4,000 and retest. I really can't go much futher than that or i'll have to add fresh oil and skew my results. I get a lot of oil in my catch can through the pcv valve, probably between 4 and 8 oz after 3,000 miles, maybe less, i've never measured.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
it would be interesting to know what
the rod and main bearings are coated
with, as well as what makes up the piston
ring material.
That info must be online somewhere or someone on here must know. Copper? Aluminum? Bronze? I know it's not steel.

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...ducts_id=11929

Federal Moguls are made of aluminum and tin with some silicon thrown in for good measure. Silicon is what you find in dirt! LOL!

I was glad to see my Silicon was low, because my car is covered with dirt!

Last edited by moosestang; 03-02-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

I noticed higher than normal copper. It's used as part of the backing material on plain bearings. Perhaps rod and main bearing wear? With 10 psi, I wouldn't be surprised.

Fank

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my oil analyzed