Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI and Tune, REALLY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:22 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I too went with FI but this is one of the must haves with the stock motor! that and a new rear gear!....dont fear the gear!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Just watch some videos on Youtube. I'm no expert on S197 GT's but I have beaten them with my car. Then I saw videos of one's that had octane and transmission tunes (and usually gears) that would blow my doors off bigtime. For $650 it seems like money well spent. I was pleased at how I did against stock ones. The videos showed me to stay away from tuned ones until I have a little more in my arsenal. Look for vids that show in car footage from 0-120mph, you'll see and hear the difference...

Last edited by Baddog; 03-04-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
Just watch some videos on Youtube. I'm no expert on S197 GT's but I have beaten them with my car. Then I saw videos of one's that had octane and transmission tunes (and usually gears) that would blow my doors off bigtime. For $650 it seems like money well spent. I was pleased at how I did against stock ones. The videos showed me to stay away from tuned ones until I have a little more in my arsenal. Look for vids that show in car footage from 0-120mph, you'll see and hear the difference...

I'm thinking for us 3.31 guys, a set of gears might be the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GidyupGo
I'm thinking for us 3.31 guys, a set of gears might be the best bang for the buck.
I'd agree...although what's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander. 4.10's turn your car into something great, in my car not so much...but yes gears + intake and tune FTW.

Last edited by Baddog; 03-04-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
I'd agree...although what's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander. 4.10's turn your car into something great, in my car not so much...but yes gears + intake and tune FTW.

It's a trade off no matter what you do. Back when gas was approaching $5 a gallon, folks were crying at the pumps when they had to pay for higher octane. The gears will hurt your fuel economy if you are concerned about that for a long haul daily driver, but allow for useage of 87 octane. Gears may actually help mpgs in a stop and go city commute. If I threw all concerns out the window, I'd have both.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Razorbackfan
2nd Gear Member

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

The CAI and tuner will completely revamp your car. Even if you plan on going F.I. later you will need a tuner for that and most will give a discount if you already have your own. The power/torque/throttle response is felt throughout the power band.

What I noticed most was the change in drivability, the car feels far more refined. My best decription of what the CAI/Tuner did for my s197: it made her better to drive. Period.

Steeda CAI w/. Xcal2 from Brenspeed
Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 PM
comando2929
1st Gear Member

Definitely worth the money. I just got it to improve the throttle response and now I don't know how I ever lived without it. Worth every penny.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
1bad65
1st Gear Member

I still dont know why Ford didn't do this to the cars at the factory.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
provofam
1st Gear Member

Just received my CAI & tuner from Brenspeed yesterday (I went with the Steeda CAI). Unfortunately I have to wait till tomorrow to install. I contacted them while I was on the road earlier this week and their customer service was everything you could hope for. I talked with them late Tuesday afternoon and they got my information so they could load the tunes and ship it out on Wednesday. I got back from my business trip last night (Thursday) and saw the package waiting for me in the house. I dealt with Dave and he went above and beyond anything that I would expect. I will post what my impressions are after the install. The only thing that sucks is it's supposed to rain all weekend up here in the Chicago area so I don't expect to be able to do a WOT test until Monday when the weather is supposed to improve. Next mod is definitely gears, the 3.31's have gotta go. I do travel a fair amount (lots of highway time) so I'm debating on whether to go with the 4.10's or go with the 3.90's. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: CAI and Tune, REALLY?