Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Really close to pulling the trigger on the mac prochamer .

Old 03-10-2009, 01:56 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLZ314
So WarMachine, in your opinion which was the lower sounding set-up: the ProChamber or the Bassani X? Did either set-up give any perceptable difference in power?

I have the Bassani BX version of your axle-backs, so your videos are helping tons with my decision making, thanks!

The Prochamber had a deep, loud tone, but in between shifts there was not much of an "inhale" type exhaust sound. The Bassani X is not quite as deep, but it gives more exhaust note action on deceleration and in between shifts.

But....everything kind of changed when I got the BBK shorties. The tone is deeper now and sort of quiet on deceleration. My current setup is by far my favorite. I need to get better videos made with a camera that doesn't distort the sound so much.

I didn't notice any power change. I don't think it's possible to notice power differences among midpipes.
However, my BBK shorties told my butt that I gained a large amount of torque.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

You won't be sorry. Prochamber is a solid choice.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

The prochamber is definitely a quality part. I was very happy with the fit and finish. It was OEM quality.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

How about drone, any difference between the catted Prochamber vs. the Bassani X?

This is a driveway/jack-stands install right?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Drone was bad with both the Bassani X and the Prochamber.

Yep, the prochamber is a breeze to install. The Bassani X is a real pain to install.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Drone was bad with both, shizer! Did the mid-pipe make it worse than axle-backs alone, or was it more of the same?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:13 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

WarMachine, with your ProChamber did you have the version that mated to your stock cats, or the one which had MAC's own high flows? I will be doing my install solo, in my driveway, so ease of doing so is a huge factor.

Someday I'd like to swap to a set of shorties as well, how big a factor is that when choosing my mid-pipe? I'm planning on biting the bullet and paying for that install, so I'll probably do that last so I can have the shop fix any glitches or SNAFUs I may have had.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

WarMachine, with your ProChamber did you have the version that mated to your stock cats, or the one which had MAC's own high flows? I will be doing my install solo, in my driveway, so ease of doing so is a huge factor.

Someday I'd like to swap to a set of shorties as well, how big a factor is that when choosing my mid-pipe? I'm planning on biting the bullet and paying for that install, so I'll probably do that last so I can have the shop fix any glitches or SNAFUs I may have had.
Any brand of shorty headers will mate up to any full-length midpipe (full length meaning it's not made specifically for LT's).

You're going to want tuned length shorties like BBK makes because it reduces drone dramatically and gives the car the nice distinct thumping exhaust note.

I think MAC stopped selling the catted prochambers a long time ago. I bought an offroad prochamber and spliced in two Pypes high flow cats from Jegs. No welding at all.

Here are pics.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

if you have drone you or your mechanic can easily fix it by putting a diff. bend on one side of your exhaust so the vibrations from the pipes dont "drone" off of each other, its not hard and much better/cheaper than switching systems until you get one that doesnt

Drone was bad with both, shizer! Did the mid-pipe make it worse than axle-backs alone, or was it more of the same?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Good call Sox. I guess I could stagger resonators as well. That said I'm adding a mid-pipe and was kind of hoping to get it on the first try, especially since WarMachine has had seemingly every combination already. I truly don't mind the drone that much, but I wouldn't mind if it was less apparent to my passengers.

Best case scenario with the addition of a mid-pipe: easy install, less drone, more depth, a pony or two to the ground, and the flexibility for shorties later. With my existing Bassanis, what would you guys advise?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Really close to pulling the trigger on the mac prochamer .