Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple 5PSI supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Moosestang, I'm assuming by "insane" you were thinking what I was thinking, which is that he's being had for that price. I haven't done my sc yet, but I'm not expecting the install price to rise above $1,000. Online shops that do advertise their price ALL come in under $1K.

Brenspeed: $650 - $875
Livernois: $700 - $1,000 ($7,500 installed, assuming $6,500 - $6,800 for intercooled kit)
Sean Hyland: $1,000 (they used to have this quote online, but I haven't seen it recently)

I'm not suggesting you go with any of those shops, I just think the $2,000 - $2,500 sounds awfully high. Might want to ask the Whipple Crew guys to shed some light on what you should expect.

Best,
-j
Old 03-08-2009, 02:58 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I paid $800 for a whipple HO install, I would have only paid $600 for the non intercooled one. Honestly after reading the install directions the non intercooled kit I probably would have installed myself.

First let me say the whipple is a great kit even in non-int form.

Ok now the opinion so take it for what its worth. If you know you are going to want more power down the line I would bite the bullet and buy the HO. It will save you money in the long term. I was where you are now at one point.

I said "400rwhp is enough for me and I only need non intercooled. I am not a racer, blah blah blah." I started asking people on here (Hammeron can attest to that ) and calling local shops and tuners. They all said go intercooled. I decided to listen to the experts and put on the intercooled kit with an 8psi pulley. With the canned whipple tune I made 420rwhp and 400 ft lbs of tq. The car was great and I drove that way for a year. Well pretty soon I wanted more and put on a 10psi pulley and dyno tune and made the numbers in my sig. I am more happy now. Point is had I gone non int I would have dumped another $2k within a year where by doing it from the get go cost me about $1k more at the time. If you know you will want more just do it the first time. And my car is a DD and has over 12k miles with the SC and runs great. These motors can take it if you stay at 10psi and have a good tune.

Now it pains me to say it, but if you really want to stay low boost I would get the saleen. It is intercooled and makes good power at around 4psi.

Good luck, it took me 1 yr to decide what I wanted and I have been very happy ever since. Just take your time and weigh out the options. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
odel
1st Gear Member

To all who have posted, thank you very much! Thanks to your comments, I now know that I have to:
- ask installation quotes around and aim for $1K max instead of the $2-$2.5K I have been quoted
- Go for a whipple HO but limit boost under 10PSI
- Have faith that the engine will take it, but be easy on the clutch.

I agree that the warranty is more an optical illusion than anything else, but I thought that using a dealer listed in the Fordracing website who at least guarantee that the tune is well done. If anyone has a good reference within 100 miles of NYC, let me know.

Again, thank you.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Odel- I agree with the others on price....mine was high by most standards but it was for install and dyno tuning = $1500. That included 3 custom tunes- one for 93 octane, one for 100 octane, and the other is a valet tune. I returned to get some "extra pulls" done cause the first 93 tune was too rich. (cost me nothing extra) hope it helps!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
odel
1st Gear Member

Default one more question

Good evening all,

I am still trying to find a suitable location to get the 550HP kit installed. My local Ford dealer (a fairly large one) has quoted under $1000 to do the job. I am wondering if the install is idiot proof, or whether I should rely on more specialty shops. I understand that the FordRacing kit comes with a factory tune, and therefore there is no additional tuning required.

What has been your experience?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

If the dealer will do it for just under a grand go for ikt...make sure they are a SVT dealer as they would have techs that know what they are doing...it comes with instructions and members have done the install themselves on the weekend......The procal tool is used by many here and works great for the Whipple H.O. (runs a bit rich so you can get dyno tuned at a later date-better safe then sorry)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

How far are you from JDM? I am sure they would install it.

I ran the whipple tune for a year with no issue. I did get a VMP dynotune later but I didnt need it.

Most see A/F in the 10.5's with the whipple but mine was 11.5 which is perfect IMO.

Good Luck. You will love it.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Odel I sent you a pm on a shop to use. They specialize in saleen blowers, but if your set on the whipple they can take care of you.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang

Installing the non-intercooled kit isn't much harder than changing spark plugs.
Really? Special tools or anything? Are there any online directions or similiar? I would love to see what needed to be done before purchase, as instll $$ would need to be considered...This may be perfect for my garage queen, which is totally stock now (1K miles)

Last edited by highline; 03-12-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:28 AM
odel
1st Gear Member

Finally got my car back with the Whipple H.O.. The install is really very clean and everything looks like stock. The difference in power exceeds my expectations. I'll post back after a few weeks experience. Install was done by Joe Heck racing.

Quick Reply: Whipple 5PSI supercharger