Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple 5PSI supercharger

Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Congrats and thanks for posting back here with your results and your impressions of the S/C
Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

You made the right decision for sure. I am going thru the h.p. blues right now.The upgrade Whipple quoted was around 2500 U.S.So for me being in Canada with the difference in the dollar and the install would and is out of my range right now. Again congrats to you.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by odel
Finally got my car back with the Whipple H.O.. The install is really very clean and everything looks like stock. The difference in power exceeds my expectations. I'll post back after a few weeks experience. Install was done by Joe Heck racing.
Did they dyno tune it or use the whipple tune? I'm still using the whipple tune and have no complaints with it.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
Really? Special tools or anything? Are there any online directions or similiar? I would love to see what needed to be done before purchase, as instll $$ would need to be considered...This may be perfect for my garage queen, which is totally stock now (1K miles)
The only special tool I recall is a fuel line removal tool, but I could have made that tool out of a piece of pipe. It is available at any auto parts store for a few bucks. The hardest part is really the wiring(tideous) and the fuel pump install. I don't think the non-intercooled kit comes with fuel pumps.

I looked at the instructions for all the blowers out there and whipple was the easiest imo. Second would have been a paxton, but punching a hole in my oil pan was not going to happen. I was close to getting the saleen, but didn't want to fight with the alternator pulley and flipping it around backwards.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 AM
odel
1st Gear Member

Joe Heck racing was rather thorough: they sent a mechanic up to my house to check out my car before ordering the tune from Ford Motor Racing. I also got the Whipple H/O from FMR. All I can say right now is that the engine is so much nicer in 4th and 5th gear. 4thgear gives me about the same"g" feeling I used to have in 2nd gear before S/C was installed. Right now, I am getting concerned that my brakes won't last as I caught myself speeding around 120MPH and slows down quickly, and the clutch won't last long either. Also need better summer tires to improve traction. Any weblink anyone can give me for a reinforced clutch, better brakes and good tires? By the way, so far miles per gallon is not as bad as I feared, I am down to 17MPG from 19 before S/C, and that's with enjoying that whining sound quite often
Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

congrats odel! thanks for the follow up
and welcome to the whipple crew.