Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Almost Stalls After Being On Highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
FINGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
yeah...I take it you didn't read my first post...happened to me TWICE...I was livid at Ford when the guy said "Well we have to reproduce the problem."

WTF? No you don't. Just do it.
I read it, it has happened to me also couple of times when trying to pass a car on 2 lane road.
But as you stated, very difficult to reproduce it.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:47 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

I totally agree with your statements. What I don't understand is why Ford didn't make this a recall like they did with the passenger airbag.

This is purely a safety hazard. Just like the Ford Explorer had with the Bridgestone Tires years back. When you merge into traffic you need to be able to accelerate, and this problem nearly totaled the car twice before I took it in. Since they have documented that it is a known problem, it should be fixed cost free at anytime....thats just my opinion. Its not like a faulty window motor or a defective water pump design or something like that, this could kill somebody.
i completly understand your point and agree with you 100%. i was just stating for the op that unless he is not under factory warranty it might be cheaper to buy the part and have someone else put it in. i think because it is a safety issue that ford should cover it. but i guess not to many mustangs have been hit in the middle of the intersection bc of their fuel pump issue. the reason ford made the recall on the tires is bc they were getting sued left and right for accidents caused by the blowouts. was costing them more in court settlements than it would have just doing the recall. prime example of no recall is the ford pinto, the gas tanks exploding when a collision is in the rear. the reason they didnt make it a recall and fix all the pintos is bc they got out cheaper by just paying the settlements out of court.
i dont agree with it but thats business i guess. shady business but its business.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Real Sniper
Admin's Snitch

Mine still has a month on the warranty. Only has 13K miles on it.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I was ready to sue for whiplash after I experienced it for the 1st time, lol.
I stopped to pay the toll after crossing the boring state of Indiana, went to take off rather quickly in 1st gear and right after I took off if fell on its face, then got power, then fell on its face again.
That violent jerking motion in 1st gear was not nice to my neck, haha. It happened every too booth I hit on my way to Virginia and back, but at least I was expecting it by then. and glad I knew exactly what it was when it happened.
My g/f looked at me with a very frightened/confused look on her face, was priceless.

Ford fixed without question.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
i completly understand your point and agree with you 100%. i was just stating for the op that unless he is not under factory warranty it might be cheaper to buy the part and have someone else put it in. i think because it is a safety issue that ford should cover it. but i guess not to many mustangs have been hit in the middle of the intersection bc of their fuel pump issue. the reason ford made the recall on the tires is bc they were getting sued left and right for accidents caused by the blowouts. was costing them more in court settlements than it would have just doing the recall. prime example of no recall is the ford pinto, the gas tanks exploding when a collision is in the rear. the reason they didnt make it a recall and fix all the pintos is bc they got out cheaper by just paying the settlements out of court.
i dont agree with it but thats business i guess. shady business but its business.
To the original poster: Well, I guess you should get a supercharger kit and buy a hi-perf fuel pump. Many of the people on this forum will agree, that is the best solution to fix your problem. It will be the best $5000 fuel pump you ever purchased. Take my word for it. You can thank us later...yeah we didn't save you any money, but we fixed your problem....

;-)
Old 03-19-2009, 05:06 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I printed out Six copies of the official TSB from Ford.

Handed one to the Service Rep, placed one on my drivers seat, one on the back seat, and one in the trunk. I had two left over....to make airplanes with.

I remember when I showed up and they said, "well we are going to have to reproduce the problem."

My response: "Ok, well if you can't reproduce the problem, will you give me a written note that I came here and told you about a KNOWN problem that I was experiencing and you refused to fix it because you couldn't reproduce it?"

He gives me a funny look

I add: "Well because if my car sputters again when I pull out in front of a 18 Wheeler and it kills me the next time, I want my family to have a legal leg to stand on."

Car fixed in 3 hours and they didn't even test drive it.
That is a good story...glad it was fixed!
I totally agree with your statements. What I don't understand is why Ford didn't make this a recall like they did with the passenger airbag.

This is purely a safety hazard. Just like the Ford Explorer had with the Bridgestone Tires years back. When you merge into traffic you need to be able to accelerate, and this problem nearly totaled the car twice before I took it in. Since they have documented that it is a known problem, it should be fixed cost free at anytime....thats just my opinion. Its not like a faulty window motor or a defective water pump design or something like that, this could kill somebody.
I agree and the TSB seems to be the only recourse for that issue
Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 PM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

For the most part my dealer has been pretty good. When I had this happen, I took the TSB to them. The service manager just said, well, I don't want to waste an hour driving on the highway trying to reproduce this. We can take you home and pick you up in a few hours if you like.

Now, earlier this week I got to the dealership to get a pilot bearing because I'm getting ready to do the 6060 conversion. It was about 5:30 in the afternoon. I see a salesman in the parking lot and ask him if parts is still open. He looks at his watch and says they close at 5. I just said dang, I work til 5, how am i supposed to get parts? He looked at me really me really seriously and said, leave work early. I looked at him and said seriously, and you wonder why the car industry is in such trouble.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaStangGT
For the most part my dealer has been pretty good. When I had this happen, I took the TSB to them. The service manager just said, well, I don't want to waste an hour driving on the highway trying to reproduce this. We can take you home and pick you up in a few hours if you like.

Now, earlier this week I got to the dealership to get a pilot bearing because I'm getting ready to do the 6060 conversion. It was about 5:30 in the afternoon. I see a salesman in the parking lot and ask him if parts is still open. He looks at his watch and says they close at 5. I just said dang, I work til 5, how am i supposed to get parts? He looked at me really me really seriously and said, leave work early. I looked at him and said seriously, and you wonder why the car industry is in such trouble.
Ok, thats it...we need to have a group buy for miniature lapel video cameras and post hidden camera videos of dealer experiences. I am serious. Some of these stories would be even better with hidden camera footage.

BTW...I laughed out loud at your story...very nice quick wit.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

This recently happened to me driving on the az87 up to payson. Almost got rearended by a semi that decided not to slow down behind me
Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Real Sniper
Admin's Snitch

Took the car in and they replaced the fuel pump without any questions. Had a copy of the TSB with me. Done in less than 3 hours. The service writer now wants to buy my car. It's an 06 with less than 14K miles on it. Hmmm, maybe a 2010 is in my future.

Quick Reply: Almost Stalls After Being On Highway