Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Aftermarket Clutch Chatter (Rattle)

Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default Aftermarket Clutch Chatter (Rattle)

i read something interesting, that leads me to
believe that the chatter i hear at low rpms, might
be reduced or eliminated completely by installing
solid motor mounts. if you have experience or
specific knowledge on this subject, please weigh in.

here is what i found that is of interest:

T: What causes clutch chatter?
S: A high coefficient of friction, bad motor mounts, an incorrectly machined flywheel or faulty pressure plate, spring-centered race disc (aggravates chatter), and contamination (oil, grease, or rust).

Chatter is basically the engine winding up in the mounts as the clutch is engaging and then bouncing off the mounts, disengaging the clutch for a brief moment before engaging again and winding up again. No matter how aggressive a clutch is that would normally chatter severely on a normal street car, it generally won't chatter at all on a car with solid mounts and a rigid disc because there is no wind-up effect.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Hamm, you know we have discussed the sound we hear before but your post is very interesting.

Thing is, and I am no expert, I think the noise we hear and the clutch "chatter" are 2 different things.

I believe the sound is from the floater plate.

To me "chatter" is where the clutch starts to engage then stutters, engage, etc. Kind of a bucking.

Before my clutch was fixed I never got this with my RST, probably because it was never fully engaging.

Since I got it fixed if I dont give it enough throttle and slip it very fast, I get that chuggin until full engagement.

I think the motor mount idea and description sound like it will fix the later, but not the noise.

Very interested to hear others responses though and your results as I am sure you will end up with new motor mounts

I can let you know soon if they would help though because I have had my torque limiters removed as I was curious if they were affecting my clutch while i was diagnosing my problem. Might try and reinstall them this weekend. These act somewhat like a stiffer motor mount so I will see if anything changes.

C ya
Old 03-19-2009, 12:09 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

you know i used to say i thought it was the
floater plate too, only because i could not
come up with any other reasonable source
for the noise.

the explanation in that article makes a lot of
sense to me at the moment. one of the reasons
being that some of us have the rattle, while some
of us don't. mounts and/or torque limiters might
be the important variable between us.

i haven't put my k-member/tq limiter back on since
the clutch job, so maybe i'll do that too this
weekend.

at this point i'm still giving solid motor mounts, a high
probability for solving our issue.

additionally, i'm starting to think that the little
stutter we can get when taking off in first gear,
is part of the same phenomenon as the rattle
we get at low rpms and trying to accelerate.
two sides of the same coin...

Last edited by hammeron; 03-19-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Well if anyone can figure it out you can.

Sure would be nice to get rid of that noise, so I can lug gears again and not look like tool.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Hmmm, interesting. I have the torque limitors but will still get chatter if I try to slip the clutch and not giving enough revs. I wonder if the motor mounts would take it away? Then again, my disc does have a sprung center so maybe I am destined to deal with this (its not that big of a deal to me, just can't be lazy with the rpms or ride the clutch at all). Having a rigid clutch seems like engagement would be much more harsh, though probably wouldn't chatter. Maybe that is the trade off of having a sprung center on an aggressive clutch - you get more chatter but less "on or off" engagement.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thanks guru, i think the rattle stinks and
i'm tired of it! yes i can live with it but i would
rather not if given a choice.

i want to lug gears again too lol

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Well if anyone can figure it out you can.

Sure would be nice to get rid of that noise, so I can lug gears again and not look like tool.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yeah americanspeed, i'm not sure how your sprung
center factors in and whether solid mounts would
help you or not.

i'm willing to install solid mounts and live with the
extra NVH as long as the tradeoff is no more
low rpm rattle

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed

my disc does have a sprung center so maybe I am destined to deal with this

Last edited by hammeron; 03-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

MUSTANGGT0405 how did you get the sound fixed coming from your clutch?? Mine makes this obnoxious sound and the clutch is starting to progressivley feel worse. I also think that mine does not engage all the way because the point where it STARTS to catch is at the very top of the pedal...

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Are all you guys using the RST clutch? I just installed mine last week and I don't have any chatter at all and the rattle is so minimal that its not a big deal. My factory clutch made just as much noise. In fact if you drove my car you'd swear the factory clutch was still in the car. My only problem is when left in a gear coming to a stop its hard to take it out of gear.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang910
Are all you guys using the RST clutch? I just installed mine last week and I don't have any chatter at all and the rattle is so minimal that its not a big deal. My factory clutch made just as much noise. In fact if you drove my car you'd swear the factory clutch was still in the car. My only problem is when left in a gear coming to a stop its hard to take it out of gear.
Well you have a disengaging problem. Can you shift at high rpms? You either still have air in the system, leaking TOB or your TOB needs shims because the pressure plate is designed poorly.

Does anyone have a video of this rattle? The only noise I get when chugging a gear, with the spec stage 2, is a rustling sound like crumbling paper, but it's very low and wouldn't be noticeable with the radio on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Clutch Chatter (Rattle)