Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3.73Gears broke transmission? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its his work thats bad, not the tranny.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation

He opened her up again and checked everything.
Says he did everything accordingly.
Someone suggested it might be due to lack of "Anti Friction Additive" in the Differential oil.
So i got the ford recommended Motorcraft oil and additive. He put it in today. Still had the same noise as i drove my car home.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Is there an ford tech business/institute or something, that can talk him through the install?
Again, the sound it like a dull whine. like something keeps spinning on when i let go of the gas or brake. as i come to a complete stop there's minor "clicking" along with the other noise.
It's enough to drive a man insane.

BTW - My car is an automatic.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:36 PM
executioner
1st Gear Member

If he didnt know what he was doing the first time of course he is going tho think he did everything right on a review. Tell him you want a refund and go somewhere else that knows what they are doing.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

Sorry this may have already been stated but I didn't feel like reading through the whole thread, I had a '99 F-150 making a very similar noise to the one your describing, took it to a shop they said it's the rear-end making a-liitle noise no biggy normal after awhile they said, after about 2 months the noise was loud it would give yyou a head ache, anyways the pinion bearing was making the noise due to something not being lined up right or angled wrong. Well the slight misalignment was enough to warp the pinion bearing and the housing it sits in. after paying 1200 bucks for a used rear end all was well
Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

i went down this road with some assclown shop in town, they f**cked up the install and the differential got ruined, I had to get a replacement, they paid for new gears but not the differential, be AWARE, go to shops that have installed gears on these cars !!!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

still driving me crazy. if the gearing noise wasnt enough, my brakes started making noise also (mainly because it's very wet outside, the rotors are probably"cracked" or whatever you call it..)

Dont stop with the suggestions...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

No offense dude, but you got all the suggestions you need already in this thread...
Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Alright, was just hoping, it might be something that hasnt been mentioned yet.
My mechanic opened her up again and says he's sure he did everything "by the book".

He's one of the few mechanics i trust, so i'm feeling pretty hopeless about the situation.
I'm going to contact brenspeed and ask if they have any helpful tips etc.

Worst case scenario, something 'll break; like the diff. or i might have to replace the whole rear axle.. in which case i've seen them sell with the 3.73gears as well..
Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

A great example of why I won't let non-Ford mechanics touch my Mustang! Especially if it's under warranty, as your 2007 should still be! If they screwed up the gear install and something broke it would be covered.
Since an outside shop modified your rear gears, anything that happens with your driveshaft might not be covered!
There are a ton of posts on this forum about gear install problems and dangers...
Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 AM
JMono
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
A great example of why I won't let non-Ford mechanics touch my Mustang! Especially if it's under warranty, as your 2007 should still be! If they screwed up the gear install and something broke it would be covered.
Since an outside shop modified your rear gears, anything that happens with your driveshaft might not be covered!
There are a ton of posts on this forum about gear install problems and dangers...
Ford mechanics don't always know what they are doing either. I had my 2000 Mustang GT 4.10 gear swap done at Ford and the rear end had problems afterwards. The car was never the same.

Think about it, gear swaps are not routine mechanical requests or warranty items. Many of the Ford techs have probably never done one even though the work on Fords. It's takes practice, skill, patience, and the right tools to get a gear swap done correctly.

It's threads like these that have kept me from doing a gear swap in my current Mustang. There are too many starving mechanics in this economy that claim they know how to do these just to get your business.

Quick Reply: 3.73Gears broke transmission? WTF?