Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MGW Shifter, I am sold

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Rskapof
2nd Gear Member

Default MGW Shifter, I am sold

So i have been reading through the posts by TacoBill on the MGW shifter and i am excited to buy it. In fact i am buying it tomorrow, along with the trim piece for the ebrake and cupholders.

Can anyone advise me against getting the MGW shifter and maybe getting the Steeda instead. This install should be fairly simple. It looked basic in the great write up by Tacobill and that was without even having the car in front of me but just the pictures.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Raging Rio

the install was kind of a pain in the **** for me. i used ramps, though, and when the h-pipe is about 2 inches from your face, it makes it a little difficult to move around. with a lift and the proper tools it still wont be easy, but shouldn't be quite as hard as mine was...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 AM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Raging Rio
the install was kind of a pain in the **** for me. i used ramps, though, and when the h-pipe is about 2 inches from your face, it makes it a little difficult to move around. with a lift and the proper tools it still wont be easy, but shouldn't be quite as hard as mine was...
I was swapping out the mid-pipe the same day I installed the shifter, so that made it a little easier.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Roy
1st Gear Member

I lifted the front of the car with a ordinary "lifter" (I cant remember the name) put two "anti crush me" things under the car and installed the shifter.

I didnt think it was hard at all, and I dont know anything about cars.

So you should have no problem doing it, it took me maybe 3 hours. And I took a lot of time on every step.

The MGW is the best, and that is all.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

The install is driveway friendly, that is to say: with a jack and jackstands its doable without much hassle.

Two quick points worth mentioning:
1. Check your parts, MGW had forgotten a bracket during shipping and it set me back a day or so to get it.
2. Don't get frustrated with the shifter as (personally) the break-in period was a lotlonger than anticipated.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default MGW

The best you can get.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:20 AM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

I installed mine a week ago. Put the front end on jackstands and had no real problems. Used some blue Loctite on the nuts and bolts. Watch out for the Dynamat- the edges of the metal backing will slice you and you won't even know it until the blood flows.

I set the adjuster at 7 turns out and, initially, was pretty shocked at how short the movement was. A week of driving it has me adapting and I like it. Just waiting for it to break in, it is pretty notchy now but manageable. It is a ton more precise than the stocker.

Frank
Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

get it and forget ever missing a gear again!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Ordered mine. Should be home by Wednesday and Installing over the weekend. Also ordered the pony composite race **** polished. Will report when done. I asked discount for the forum, they kind of avoided the subject.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

How notchy is this thing? I HATE notchy. Notchy = slow shifting for me and it sure seems like I'd miss more gears like that. I like smooth.

Would sure like the stock shifter to be shorter though.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter, I am sold