Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple front seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

guru, to be sure, you should run your finger
underneath the snout, if you see a little oily
film on your finger, than that is what we are
referring to.

probably many whipple owners will not see any
oil on their finger when they check....this is just
something that we all should be aware of.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
I was working a bit under the hood yesterday and I was in that area and did not see anything out of the ordinary so I would say mine isnt having an issue. I have about 12k miles with the blower on and the car is my DD.

I wonder if this affected people more who dont drive as much as my seals stay wet from use? I dont know. I will keep an eye out.

At first I wondered if this might be something that happens to people who dont have a catch can? If your blower isnt loosing any oil, the oil might be coming from somewhere else. IE the blow-by coating the rotors/ SC internals and then finding its way out under pressure?

Might be talking out of my @ss, but it was the first thing to jump to mind. I take a fair bit of oil out of my catch can every couple of months.
My car is a DD, gets driven every single day of the week unless it's snowing. I also have a catch can. The oil is obviously the s/c oil, when you run your finger under the snout, it's the nice white oil.
Whipple has already responded to my email but only to ask for a contact number so a tech can call me. Havent received the call as of yet.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

I think were talking two different areas of leakage here. My leak came from a seal from up behind the pulley witch has been rectified with a lockring. The other leaks shown are by the looks of it coming from between two mating surfaces sealed with an anneurobic sealant. There is no gasket between the two mating surfaces.This would be rectified with sealant as someone mentioned earlier I think.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Looks like you'll have to pull the blower up to remove the snout. My coolant crossover is blocking two of the bolts. I double checked mine by running my fingers under it and it's not leaking. I don't think there is any type of gasket there, just silicone sealant.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i think you are right on all counts there
moose. another way to watch the system,
is monitor your oil level.

this is what mine looked like after putting
the oil in. i can tell today, that the level is
a little lower.....
Attached Thumbnails Whipple front seal leak-oillevel1.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

I'm gonna be awfully surprised if there isnt a gasket in there. Then again, maybe thats why I have a leak.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Whipple said that the gasket between the blower case and the intake sometimes rips when you lift up the case to pull the snout bolts out. Which is why they sent me a gasket in the snout upgrade kit.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

that's a good point Daryl06, i would want
a spare s/c manifold gasket on the ready,
if i were to have to pull the s/c off and
put it back on in time for a monday morning
commute.

i've pulled mine off before (great memories) and
i didn't have problems with that gasket, because
i had only applied gasket maker to the underside.

the engine hoist is gonna come in handy once again,
it now appears....
Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by mygt500
Good find aclass... I will check mine tomorrow but doubt I have issues yet as the car is driven rarely and only when the weather is sunny....just broke 4000 miles on the car and maybe 1500 of that was with the S/C.... I still need to get my catch can installed

So check list before going out for cruise or shows etc...
1. engine oil level
2. S/C oil level (everyone knows half full on this right?-just checking)
3. check all hoses for leaks
4. I have a habit of looking for belt dust (excessive at least) as this can be a sign of a bending tensioner (still stock for now).

Anything else?
I do know the snout seal would be very easy to replace and someone such as myself would be able to do it and I put my understanding of mechanics at about 6 or 7 but my application of it at about 2-3 on a scale of 1-10. Granted the more factual info I read and the more mods I do myself to the car is slowly increasing over time thanks to many members on the forum like you guys and moose and simon1 and CrazyAL (when he was on here frequently) and Stkjock, and howarmat, and jsawyer so many others (some on frequently and others not so much anymore)
so make sure you Whippled stangs check it frequently
Originally Posted by aclass
I have a Gen II GT500.
I'm encouraged by Darl06 post. I sent an email to Whipple last night so hopefully I'll get a reply soon.
I figured you did...so the Gen1 and 2 are affected
Originally Posted by aclass
My car is a DD, gets driven every single day of the week unless it's snowing. I also have a catch can. The oil is obviously the s/c oil, when you run your finger under the snout, it's the nice white oil.
Whipple has already responded to my email but only to ask for a contact number so a tech can call me. Havent received the call as of yet.
Glad they responded and hope it is resolved very soon
Originally Posted by hammeron
i think you are right on all counts there
moose. another way to watch the system,
is monitor your oil level.

this is what mine looked like after putting
the oil in. i can tell today, that the level is
a little lower.....
Part of the check list above.....thanks for posting this issue guys
Old 03-24-2009, 06:02 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Great thread guys!

No need for comments as you guys covered everything - just wanted to shout out that this was an AWESOME thread!

Quick Reply: Whipple front seal leak