Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

S197 Head/Cam install performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

Question S197 Head/Cam install performance

i thinking about going a different route than a supercharger for now. considering doing cams/heads and possibly intake and long tubes. has anyone done this that can share performance expectations? seems like you can have almost close to the same HP increase as the supercharger, depending on boost selection, come out cheaper, & have an awesome sounding engine. any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine 07
seems like you can have almost close to the same HP increase as the supercharger, depending on boost selection, come out cheaper, & have an awesome sounding engine.
Combos that you describe, full bolts and heads/cams can get you 350whp+. However, any blower on 8-10 psi will rock that and have a huge torque advantage in the lower rpm range, especially if it is a twin screw or roots style. It isn't really cheaper either. This is why you don't find too many going the N/A route.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

yeah full bolt on minus a good head,
a good head (livernoise stage 3) get over 70hp on a otherwise stock motor (it does have longtubes and no intake but that was baselined at
then you add a fat cam and intake, headers, CMDP, UDP, maybe a few more little things should get you into the 450 range.
either way its not cheap,
livernoise heads are like 3k
cams like 1-1.5k
intake tuner cmdp udp 1 k
headers / exhaust 1-1.5k
so your looking at 6-7 k
supercharger 6-7 k
but it can be done, just how do you wanna go?
I will go NA
Old 03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

also please accept that the thumpers and hot rod cams are not the cam of choice to reach the higest power,
you will need a proper power cam, you can get over 50 hp from a good power cam over the 20is from a "sound" cam
Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

It certainly isn't 'cheap' and would cost you about as much as FI in the end to complete but it is possible to have a 10 sec n/a set-up IMO but this is what it would take...

Livernoise Type 'R' heads
Custom livernois spec'd Comp cam for the set-up
JPC intake manifold
custom headers
a 298 stroker motor with 11:1 (or greater) compression
4.56 gears

Now you have a motor that you can shift at 8600 rpm and with some weight shaving could see a 10 sec slip IMO. Yes, n/a FTW.

BUT... Just the heads & intake alone and you are already at 5 grand...

Now, add a 400+ ci motor to the equation above and I think you could have one wild n/a ride...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The thought of a 400+ ci engine makes me drool.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

What kind of flow numbers does the JPC intake have anyway?

I read on another forum about the C&L intake and each runner flows a little over 300. I think it was like around 320 or something like that. I'd have to go look but I'm too lazy right now.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure but don't really care, if I'm honest. What impressed me most about the JPC intake was the distribution testing. They used meters on every runner and measured the flow on each. I like the volume of the flow it produces as well.

For the kind of power I'm about to make (knock on wood) - I can't fart around with buildup or uneven distribution to the runners.

I am very impressed with Justin's manifold and it's sitting on top of my car right now. Though mine is a little 'different' looking cause it's reversed. But that's due to my set-up being bad ***...lol

I also have the Livernois R heads on my car right now and they are absolutely SICK. These heads will turn 8 grand all day without breaking a sweat. I ,of course, won't be spinning it that high cause of my stroker and will be shifting in the 6800 range - but minus the motor, my Livernois heads and valve train are down right insane. Combined with Justin's intake, and the bad *** headers I just made, it is about to be crazy. Greg and Augie are starting the hot side fabbing tomorrow!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Cool. When do you think it'll be in a running state? I'm anxious to see it.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I'll be testing at the local 1/8 tracks in about 3 weeks! I figure about 2-3 weeks of dialing it in to work out the launch and system and then it will go to the 1/4.

It should be a monster even for the dial in tuning...

Here's the headers mock-up finished last week...

We started the hot side fabbing for the turbos yesterday.

Last edited by modaddict; 03-24-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: S197 Head/Cam install performance