Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions about larger Wheels/Tires for a GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

Default Questions about larger Wheels/Tires for a GT

Questions about larger Wheels/Tires for a GT

Ok, one of the first things I want to do to the GT when I get her tomorrow is put wider wheels/tires on. The problem is that I know more about engines then I do about wheel/tires and often just end up listening to the sales guy at the tire store. Maybe with this thread we can get some questions answered for people like me who aren’t really sure about things like offset and contact size.

Ok, so what I’d like to be able to do is put 265’s or wider on her. I’d also like to go a little slimmer like 45’s. I don’t quite like the look of the 35’s or lower, because it just looks to me like you’re riding on rims, plus the ride is a lot harder with the thinner tire. But I’m not sure; maybe someone can explain tire wall height a bit.

Also, I know you can go wider in the back, like 310 and still have it fit, but how does that effect rotating the tires? You can’t put the rears in the front when they are that wide, and you can’t put the left rear on the right rear and vice versa because then the tire would be running the opposite direction than it was before, and I understand that is bad for the belts in the tire.

So for 265’s or better what size wheel and offset would I need? I understand that the current stock wheels are 17x8 45mm offset with 235/55/17 tires. The tire is I believe something like 26mm (roughly an inch) inside the wheel well. I don’t want the tires to stick out of the wheel well and look all ghetto or mess with the suspension or stress anything, so that means I’m going to have to play with offsets and such.

I’d like to go with 18 inch wheels, but outside of that I’m not sure what combo would work best, whether or not I should keep the front and rears the same for rotation and tire life purposes, or whether or not I should just get the fattest I can in the front and back, and not worry about rotating them. Do I need to go 18x7/8/9/10? What kind of offsets in the front and rear?

Lastly, I do like the Ford Bullitt or stock look. I would also like for them to be a lighter material (if possible) so that they are not considerably heavier then stock. No point in adding 300lbs of extra tires and wheels.

Well, thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:47 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Questions about larger Wheels/Tires for a GT

I suggest you read this whole thread first: https://mustangforums.com/m_570319/tm.htm I have a post in there on tire sizing.

If all your questions aren't answered there, do a search on whatever you're missing. There are many, many posts in this forum already on offsets, profiles, widths, wheels, etc.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:36 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

Ya, I did read through that post, and it kind of left me with the questions that I asked. Really it was the offset that was bothering me the most. I was also hoping to get an idea about rotating the tires if they are different sizes. But I think that was answered inadvertently by a joke someone made. I also wanted to know more about the eight of the well or aspect, because I tried a search on it but had no luck here.

My main concern was finding a wheel size (and offset) that would fill up the wheel wells the best, while not looking ghetto. I was wonder if I got 18x10 rears with 285/45/18 what offset I would need to keep them from sticking out of the wheel wells. Then for the front, what size wheel and tire would be best to keep it even looking? Would they be 18x10 with 265/45/18, or would that be too odd.

Lastly, if I changed the tire size, do I need to retune the car so that the mileage and speedometer are not all borked up?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:44 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SpazHairlip

Ya, I did read through that post, and it kind of left me with the questions that I asked. Really it was the offset that was bothering me the most. I was also hoping to get an idea about rotating the tires if they are different sizes. But I think that was answered inadvertently by a joke someone made. I also wanted to know more about the eight of the well or aspect, because I tried a search on it but had no luck here.

My main concern was finding a wheel size (and offset) that would fill up the wheel wells the best, while not looking ghetto. I was wonder if I got 18x10 rears with 285/45/18 what offset I would need to keep them from sticking out of the wheel wells. Then for the front, what size wheel and tire would be best to keep it even looking? Would they be 18x10 with 265/45/18, or would that be too odd.

Lastly, if I changed the tire size, do I need to retune the car so that the mileage and speedometer are not all borked up?
Up until a month or so ago, there were no 10" wide chrome bullitts (either 17" or 18") on the market with the correct offset. I looked everywhere. But, I can't answer for other styles.

Re: aspect ratio. If you read that thread, then you saw this post: https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=570996

Re: the speedo. If the rear tire dia is much different than the stock dia, then the speedo will be off. Mine was off roughly 2% with the taller tires. But, the Predator fixed that quite easily.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:53 PM
budgy
1st Gear Member

Hey Don, if you go to 4.10's does that mean you have to recalibrate with your predator again?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:23 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: budgy

Hey Don, if you go to 4.10's does that mean you have to recalibrate with your predator again?
Yes... it only takes a few minutes.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Gearhead Garage

Here is a pic of my car with 18X10 in the back and 18X8 up front. the tires are 295/45-18 and 255/45-18 respectively.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:17 PM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gearhead Garage

Here is a pic of my car with 18X10 in the back and 18X8 up front. the tires are 295/45-18 and 255/45-18 respectively.
Where did you get the 18X10 Chrome Rims - I want them but havent been able to find them, I was thinking 18X9 at the front - do you know if that would fit??
Old 06-19-2005, 12:14 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

18x9 with the right offset will fit fine up front - I just removed a set of 18x9's that I had all the way around. If you're going to run 255's in front, you're probably better off with 18x8 there, as the rim will touch curb when parallel parking and at the drive through if you're not really careful with 18x9.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:21 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: delurker

18x9 with the right offset will fit fine up front - I just removed a set of 18x9's that I had all the way around. If you're going to run 255's in front, you're probably better off with 18x8 there, as the rim will touch curb when parallel parking and at the drive through if you're not really careful with 18x9.
I have 17x9s with 255s up front and no problems with hitting anything. Of course, they are also a 50 profile, so I have more sidewall than a shorter profile would.

Quick Reply: Questions about larger Wheels/Tires for a GT