Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wiring help for gauges and nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
FoosedStang

Default Wiring help for gauges and nitrous

Just curious if anyone knows where I can tap in for nitrous through the ignition and what color the wire is. Also I need to wire up to gauges and would like to tap into the parking lights. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Adam
Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Ive got some of that info at home and will try to get back with you. Try a search for gauges there was a good article on how and where to hook up the wires where to go thru dash. I have the zex kit on my stang heater/purge/purge light and line locks so I might be able to help. What kind of gauges and what kind of nitrous kit?
I took most all my power in via a fuse from the battery so I could kill it when I needed to. I used the speed of sound piller and pod gauge holders along with the cup holder switches that I had etched with what each one does. BE careful what you hook your wires to because the smart junction box and other components do not always like something tapped into them.
let us know what and where you are installing them to. We will help you thru it .....good luck
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
FoosedStang

Here's a list of everything I have for the install.

Zex Kit #82034
Zex Purge
Zex Heater
Zex Bottle Opener
Speedhut Dual Gauge Pod
Autometer Nitrous Pressure gauge
Autometer A/F Gauge
And this switch panel

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

Thanks for the help
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Nice stuff I found the info when I get to a high speed connection I will check the link and add it. www.mustangforums.com/m_4554210/tm.htm This guy shredder spells it out real nice........The biggest pain is the *** is the wires to the dash pod everything else is gonna be easy. Well as you know the A/F gauge will be a pain in the bung. You gotta drill a hole in the exhaust and get it the bung welded Your going to need some power to your trunk also because the heater probaly draws more then you want going thru the switches. Plan on running a positive at least back there from a fuse off the battery I went on and ran a good ground also. Under the arm rest/center console i pulled wires for everything plus any future stuff I might want. Where do you want the purge kit to run out of? Unless your real good with tools and wires I d break the projects up in segments. Your choice also there are a lot of your choice placement options.
the bottle I put in the center of the trunk, heater I put disconnects on so I could pull heater out anytime also, the braided zex line I went under the car thru a plug/hole in the trunk. I mounted the zex controller on the firewall up by the CAI. I put the purge cylinder beside that at ran a braided line out to the center of the grill I used the light kit with the purge so to keep things in place I notched the grill for the light and put the tube out just under the horse. I added line locks at the same time up by the zex controller. the controler runs one wire over to the wire side of the throttle body, you use this small resistor and connect it to the white wire (on mine) then a positive to turn it on and a ground. the purge gets a positive switched and a ground urun these back to your center console. If you take your wheel off you can pull the clips out for the inner fender/mud flap and you have a neat way fro, engine bay into the cockpit/ battery is also right here so plan on running them all at once and a spare or 2, use the black (your color choice ) wire loom to hide your wire thru the engine compartment. Looks a lot cleaner and easier to take out if needed. You are probaly going to need to spice the nitrous gauge wires cause I think they will be to short to come from sending unit Eithe rin trunk or up by your zex controler and purge unit. I will add some more stuff tommorrow. Ask questions If you need I might be able to get you some pics but my home computer is via modem check out my car domain site for some. ttyl
Old 04-03-2009, 05:29 AM
FoosedStang

Thanks for the help. Here's some pics of the donor mustang:

Here's pics of the install so far:
http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r...ous%20Install/
Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Nice looking car Adam , Ok Sorry I reread the 1st post . you ve got the zex well in hand. you shouldn't need to go to the ignition with the zex stuff unless you also bought a separate 175 dollar window switch. ( that one seems to just go in series with the zex kit you have and another lead taps into wire going to your coil pack (and a 12v + and 12v-) Hook up to the wire with the supplied blade splice at the throttle body. mine like I said was a white wire ( 07 auto) for the gauges there are several ways to hook up but look at the above cross reference for better directions. maybe like SJB fuse location 13for providing switched 12v to gauges. have fun
Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40

This should get you where you need to be....