Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Needed Info on LT Headers for 2006 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I know you say you want long tubes, but you want to stay emissions legal. You should look at the JBA shorty headers. I just installed a set earlier this week and it made a bigger difference on the butt dyno than my intake/tune or 3.73 gears. I also saw an increase in fuel economy during my trip after installing them. I got them shipped ceramic coated for under $450, and they are 50 state legal and carb certified. I will take some traces with my accelerometer when I get back in town this week to compare with my before runs and post them online for people to see the gains. Here is a short video I made with how it sounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-zFe...eature=channel
Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

shorties will gain more low end tq and give up a few hp.
you need a good shorty if your gonna do it, dont cheap out, get the JBA, or maybe the BBK but the BBK have some rough edges.
ceramic coating is more then just shiny, it hold in the heat and increases scavenging and help keep underhood temps.
I would say go Long tubes only if your blown. shorties are best for turbo and IMO N/A
you can get LT for N/A and thats only for sound, hearing individual cylinders firing.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:39 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

I'd love to get L/T's but that price tag is crazy. Looks like the JBA L/T's aren't THAT bad, but you still need to pay from some fabrication to get the crossover mounted. Unless you also get the JBA crosover, but then again, you are north of $1k.

Dammit, these cars are expensive toys!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

GoldenGlory, you ain't lyin' my man, this car is killing me. I'd heard that love hurts, I didn't realize they meant it hurts your wallet! You ever head into Vegas, let me know and we'll take some WOT cruises....
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

I'm stuck here everyone, I want to pick up some power from my exhaust upgrades but I really don't like the rasp that comes with the X-pipes. I want muscle car depth, I love the sound of an H, or even a ProChamber. Has anyone kept the stock H and swapped to high flow cats with new headers, be they shorty or LT?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Most LT manufacturers will only match up with there own h or x pipe. I personally went with the SLP LTs and their x-pipe with hi-flow cats. I already had Flowmasters and have a great sound.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Owero, that's one of the reasons I was more seriously looking at shorties, there's a lot more options when it comes to mid-pipes.
Plus I from what I hear shorties make their gains in the lower RPMs, and since my Mustang is my DD and I commute, I spend a lot of time in the lower RPM band.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:31 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

No one mentioned American Racing Headers, so I will. That's what I'm looking into getting when I have some money. They're very good quality headers from things I've read, and have one of the best fitments. Just search the forums for more info about them.

Anyway, their longtube headers come with your choice of an H-pipe or X-pipe, in either high-flow cats or OR flavors, so that's a nice set of options.

Links: American Racing Headers | LMPerformance for price idea
Old 04-14-2009, 03:59 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Yeah brenspeed sells an OR-H pipe for $140 shipped that matches up to stock manifolds or shorty headers. That will most likely be my next mod. It is much cheaper to get that H-pipe and shorty headers than it is to get long tubes and a matched midpipe, plus if you have to worry about emissions, you can swap your stock midpipe back in for emissions testing where as if you do long tubes, you have to buy two midpipes if you want to switch back and forth from being emissions friendly.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

RetroGT, don't know if you're still viewing this thread, but here's something you might want to get in on:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/vend...group-buy.html

jahudso2 this group buy is for the same shorties you're rocking, right? That sound is fantastic! You may have just sold me on shorties and postponing a mid-pipe until later instead of vice versa like I'd originally planned...

Quick Reply: Needed Info on LT Headers for 2006 Mustang GT