Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just Got Intake and Tune...Now Confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
buddhafist24
1st Gear Member

Default Just Got Intake and Tune...Now Confused

I just got a JLT intake and Bamachips 93 race tune. So far, I'm enjoying my car much more. I'm thinking ahead of what else I'd like to do. I know for sure I want 4.10s but after that I don't know. So some questions:

1. What can I expect from adding bolt ons and what ones should I add?
2. If I do decide to get a supercharger, will the JLT be junk?
3. What is the difference between turbo charged and supercharger? What are the prices for the two?
4. Which is more cost effective, supercharger/turbo or bolt ons?

This is a daily driver car. I don't do any racing, but now that I've got a taste of the tune and intake, I'm itching for some more speed!

Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 02:35 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

oh boy u dont know what kind of crap you just asked.
1. well some good ones are CAi and tune which u already have. gears which are in your future. you might look at some long tube headers such as kooks, mac, arh. not considered a bolt on but cams would help. it all depends on what you want to do with the car.
2. depends on what blower you get. but why would you even need it you would have a blower.
3. im not going to touch this one.
4. same
Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Answers:

3. Use Google or wikipedia to learn - Turbos run off exhaust pressure, superchargers are driven by engine crankshaft power, both add LLLOOOTTTTSSSS of power

4. Turbo - expensive, Supercharger - expensive, Bolt ons - gets expensive one bolt on at a time

hope this helps
Old 04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

1. The CAI/Tune combo is probably the most noticable bolt-on in terms power you can feel. Other good ones: underdrive pulleys, headers (shorty or long tube), X or H pipe with either high-flow cats or no cats at all, axle-backs, new camshafts (not so "bolt-on"). Research any of these and you'll see how much power they can add.
  2. Most FI systems come with their own intake.
  3. Research...
  4. Cost effective? Well, FI is going to cost a bit ($4K, $5K, $6K) but you're going to get BIG POWER. Bolt ons are cheap in comparison, but you're not going to get the power of FI. Now you could buy all bolt ons possible and replace engine components and stroke the engine and all that to get some pretty good power without going FI, but its going to cost a lot of money too, and that's really more a debate of whether you want to go FI or stay N/A in the first place anyway.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Turbochargers are slightly more efficient since they are powered by exhaust gas, however they are much more difficult to tune. Superchargers are a much safer bet for these vehicles.

Basically, if you want a fast car, spend 1-2k on bolt ons.

If you want a stupid fast car, spend 6-7k on a blower.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 PM
xtreme02gt
2nd Gear Member

Here is what you need.... I took a pic's so you could see it...

Next to the last mod you will need to do.....
Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

All the bolt ons in the world can't come close to the beauty and power of a supercharger strapped to the top of an engine.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

If you think you are serious about FI, don't nickel and dime yourself w/ bolt ons just to gain 20-30 hp while spending $2000+.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

After the CAI & tune, your bolt ons will add 5 RWHP here, 10 RWHP there. And unless you intend on tearing into the engine (i.e, cams) you probably won't get much past 315-325 RWHP after UDP's delete plates, LT's, O/R X-pipe, aluminum DS, gears, etc..

If it's real power you want, then forget all else and get a S/C.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

If I did it over again, I'd go CAI & tune to hold me over. Mufflers for sound. Then save for that supercharger.

Get the SCT Xcal3 for your tuner (most CAI's require a tune) because more speed shops use SCT's than Diablo's. So later when you're getting supercharged, you can re-use your SCT.

You can use the CAI on the supercharger if you get a Saleen. Other SC's have their own intakes & filters. If you can't re-use the CAI, you could always sell it. In fact, there's a fairly steady flow of used CAI's around from people who are going supercharged, so consider getting a CAI used.

I definitely wouldn't have bought LT headers again. The O2 check engine lights are a headache. Much more so than that - a supercharger with no exhaust mods is going to have the potential to make far more power than the engine could ever handle - so no need in sweating what kind of hp gains are coming from shorty headers vs longtube headers.

Quick Reply: Just Got Intake and Tune...Now Confused