Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

safeguarding against detonation

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:48 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Default safeguarding against detonation

In considering going supercharged, I've been thinking (concerned, more than active thought ) about this for a while. Then I saw that other thread about detonation & a dyno tune.

So..what are good ways to safeguard against detonation, especially when you're supercharged?

Ideas...not sure if they're good or not..

* Spark plugs cooler than you need
* Higher octane than you need for your tune. Probably wouldn't do that. That's expensive over time.
* Better-than-necessary fuel pump (BAP or GT500 pump)?
* Frequent oil changes (5,000 miles with mobil1)
* Isn't there a brand of gas & oil additive that Shelby recommends - Zmax?

Am I on the right track? What else?

Last edited by shanec; 04-26-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:37 PM
SceviourS197

J&S safeguard. not exactly sure how accurate the knock sensor is in the mustang but in the place working/tuning other fords the knock sensor actually suffer from phantom knock. which is pulling timing when it isnt required. with the J&S safeguard you can prevent this. do a search on google you will find alot of good info.

Last edited by SceviourS197; 04-27-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

All the points you made OP will help protect the car from detonation...not sure about zmax though Carroll Shelby endorses it... and make sure the S/C is intercooled!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Buy a whipple HO and run their tune along with 93 octane. That's what I do and i've never heard the slightest ping. For reference, my car would ping with a brenspeed 93 octane tune, so I know what it sounds like.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

get an intercooled kit, bigger heat exchanger and larger coolant tank to keep IATs down
Old 04-27-2009, 07:59 PM
SceviourS197

as everyone and yourself said above. these are great measures. not sure abotu zmax thought, but if carroll says so. so it be haha. everything also depends how serious you wanna get with your upgrades. what goals do you have for the car? race wise etc...
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Not racing. Its a DD and I absolutely don't want to tear it up now, next year, or 80,000 miles later. So I'm thinking 400-410 rwhp, and spending some extra on some overkill to keep it safe.

I keep hearing "dude, you'd be safe at 450rwhp..just do it". No man, I REALLY don't want to tear something up. Don't want a new clutch either.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

How about a better MAF sensor or Diablo Mafia? I hear people at 450rwhp are pegging their stock MAF sensor - which I *think* means the car at that point is probably underestimating how much air is getting in which would make it too lean - which would be bad.

A Diablo Mafia seems kind of gimmicky. I'd think a new MAF sensor wouldn't be a great deal extra, just as easy to install, and I assume easier to tune for.

Too bad a GT500 fuel pump is way more expensive than a BAP. I'd probably sick with the BAP.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 AM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

Well detonation happens from many things. I have suffered the worst of the worst with detonation, 3 pistons decided to go for a vacation. Heat is an enemy, inter-cooled is the way to go. Make sure you keep the fuel pressure up, I have the BAP and it works great. I would invest in a fuel pressure gauge to keep you in the loop. 1 degree colder plugs.
But the biggest thing I can think of is make sure it is tuned properly, Id dyno tune it.
But don't get too nervous about everything. You can have a solid set up and one day you get some bad gas... It has happened to me and others as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

one other thing... be smart about how you drive it. if its 100+ ambient air and high humidity, dont hammer the car, keep the revs down as not to build up hihg IATs

Quick Reply: safeguarding against detonation