Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BBK TB troubles

Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Lankers
1st Gear Member

Default BBK TB troubles

I recently installed a BBK Twin 62mm throttle body and a throttle body spacer on my 05 GT. Since I added the throttle body, the car surges all the time. I've not had a check engine light yet. I suspected a vacuum leak, but everything I can see and haven't found anything. The only thing left that I can try is replacing the throttle body gasket (which I have on order) to make sure there's not a leak between the spacer and plenum. Has anyone else installed one of these throttle body's and did you have similar problems? I have an SCT Xcalibrator2 so if there is anything I can do with it to fix the problem, please let me know. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lankers
Has anyone else installed one of these throttle body's and did you have similar problems?
Lol, someone didn't poke around on the forums befroe buying one apparently... Just get rid of it...
Old 04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Get rid of the TB because that is your problem. I had one with the same problems and it is your TB. I think its the weight of the BBK throttle blades vz OEM throttle blades. The BBK ones are heavier and are probably giving you your problems. Truthfully you should not have bought the TB or the spacer. I recommend you read the forums before you buy anything else so the you don't make the same mistakes as others.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Lankers
1st Gear Member

alrighty...back on eBay it goes then lol. thanks for the quick responses.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
goose5
1st Gear Member

I know this is a bit late but the spacer is nothing more than a paperweight on a non-TBI or carbureated engine. As for the BBK throttle body, i found that when the engine was cold and in open loop it surges but as soon as it was in closed loop it smartened up. Has anyone else noticed this with the BBK 62mm?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on not researching this first. Yes, the spacer is garbage. And more people have had issues with aftermarket TB's than just about any other mod that comes to mind. You don't need anything beyond the stock TB unless your aspirated or heavily modded internally where the engine can make use of the extra air flow.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

"alrighty...back on eBay it goes then lol. thanks for the quick responses."
The leak was the $$ leaving your wallet.
Are you going to unload it on yet another unsuspecting
mustang owner like was done to you?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:42 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

I installed the BBK throttle body a year ago. No issues whatso ever. NA engine with BBK CAI.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:24 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

interesting that some have issues and others dont. i have heard more bad than good which has turned me away
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM
BlackS197Stang
1st Gear Member

I've had mine for about a year now, along with a BBK CAI. Mine has never surged, but I did have a problem with hanging idle when coasting. I found a fix on another forum. It worked great for me, and it may fix your problem too. Here's the link: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-t-body-2.html. It's at the bottom of the page. I didn't reinstall my old TB. I just adjusted the new one while it was on the car and made sure the TPS was in tolerance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK TB troubles