Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WHICH SUPERCHARGER?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

This is a tough question. There are many kits on the market. Bang for the buck in an HO kit goes to the $4995 Paxton IMHO. If money is no object, the new Techco looks cool.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

whipple or
Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Since your tuner is familiar with and likes the whipple that is what I would do. Getting the power adder your tuner knows goes a long way. Plus it's really good anyway.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

For twin-screen i would go saleen. Whipple is good but some people have had problems with them. My other choice is paxton or vortech. Their centri blowers looks relatively easy to install while being cheap for their non-IC and it has future upgradability.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
graygt07
2nd Gear Member

i went with the saleen
reason 1 i like the look. people see the hood up and dont even realize it is supercharged
reason 2 i heard alot of good things from brenspeed (they race the saleen as well)
reason 3 the stage three was what i was looking for. a good easy to drive dd, and the power instant.
reason 4 i wanted 11's at the track ( ran 15 11.8's, alot of 11.9's and on a bad run 12.0 or 12.1) with my only other mod being dr's.

get the blower now enjoy it, stay around 450rwhp then get the motor next year. I ran the stage 3 all of last year with no problems and i have 21000 miles. I went to the track about 20 times, so i do run it hard.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 PM
dolint95
1st Gear Member

11.8 is deff an impressive number, but most all these guys with whipples running 10 psi are in the 11.3-11.5 range...thats quite a difference. I am deff leaning toward the whipple. I wouldn't mind the stage three saleen from brenspeed tho. Problem is the whipple set up will fit without a risk...the way the intake is. I have an aftermarket RK Sport Cali Dream Functional Ram Air hood...
Old 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by 08BlackStang
I was looking at getting a S/C next year sometime. I was really wanting a twin Screw i want to make around 465-475 to the wheels will i have to put a new clutch in it? Which kit would offer the safest system for what i want..
IMO whipple H.O. hands down......see numbers in sig. car is running great and no issues of what so ever so far after 2 yrs and about 3,000 miles (on the stock block)

Originally Posted by dolint95
11.8 is deff an impressive number, but most all these guys with whipples running 10 psi are in the 11.3-11.5 range...thats quite a difference. I am deff leaning toward the whipple. I wouldn't mind the stage three saleen from brenspeed tho. Problem is the whipple set up will fit without a risk...the way the intake is. I have an aftermarket RK Sport Cali Dream Functional Ram Air hood...
I know you wont be disappointed with any S/C but the Whipple IMO is made for this motor.....designed with FRPP and looks like it was meant to be there from the factory!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Good luck deciding which one you want in two weeks....I've been mulling which one over in my mind now for a year, and I am still not 100% sure!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

You won't really go wrong with any of them. It all comes down to budget, power delivery, and just how comfortable you are with the notion of an engine explosion (power level). Any of the HO kits out-of-the-box are running at the theoretical limit on the stock block. You also have to take into consideration what other mods will be necessary for the power level like suspension and clutch, etc.

I spent several weeks researching every S/C on the market, and also turbos. For the amount of money I wanted to spend vs the power level I was comfortable with, and not wanting to pour additional money into the car on lots of supporting mods, I narrowed my selection down to the Whipple non-IC and the Vortech non-IC. The Whipple was quite a bit more $ than the Vortech, and generally produces a little less overall power.

I opted for the Brenspeed Vortech V3 kit which gave me an additional 150rwhp on a rich/safe tune for $3800. Mine puts down 400rwhp which is well within the expected "safe" range (that was a goal). The stock suspension works fine at this power level, and I expect the clutch to last also. There is no other blower kit on the market that gives you this level of gain, for that little money IMO. My 300hp GT now makes 470hp in standard terms. I recently played with the idea of adding the HO upgrade, not because I'm unhappy with mine, but you know how it is, the never enough thing. However, I still can't justify the extra money given all the additional factors that come into play running that level of power (and the minor gain over what I already have).

My advice is to do plenty of research, and really decide what it is you'll be happy with in terms of power, reliability, risk and cost. I bought mine 6 months ago, and I am still confident that I made the right decision (which, by the way, was contrary to the opinions of nearly everyone who put their 2c in on this board). HTH, Good luck!

Last edited by Mudflap; 05-06-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I don't think you can wrong with Whipple or Saleen, but given the experience of your tuner with the Whipple, that seems like the obvious choice. As with everyone else who has gone to FI, our own kits are always the ones we recommend... I was an early adopter with Edelbrock (s/n 0007) and if you want something that really just blends in with the engine and is VERY quiet, this kit is another option.

Last edited by Doogie65; 05-06-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: WHICH SUPERCHARGER?