Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wish me luck on the Spec 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Competition Clutch stage 5. Shifts pretty easily, engagement is semi-smooth. You can't lug first gear at all or you will get ridiculous chatter. I wouldn't recommend it (I don't like recommending any clutch) unless you have some serious power as it isn't very street friendly, its also a 6 puck design which really makes it off or on.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourth Horseman
You say it feels about the same as stock. Does that mean you can feather it out like you can on the stock clutch? A friend of mine has the Spec 2+ and she says it will not feather. It's basically all or nothing. I'm considering a Spec 2 for a stock replacement, but I like to be able to feather the clutch. Any thoughts on that?

Oh, and congrats on tackling a big job!
Horseman, I've only got about 75 miles on it so far so give me a few more days. But so far, Yes, it seems I can feather it out easy just like the stock clutch. It grabs with the pedal closer to the floor now (which I like) but it appears you can feather it.
I have to learn how to drive the car all over again, feel like I have my learners permit while going through the gears now but I like how the clutch feels so far.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aclass
Horseman, I've only got about 75 miles on it so far so give me a few more days. But so far, Yes, it seems I can feather it out easy just like the stock clutch. It grabs with the pedal closer to the floor now (which I like) but it appears you can feather it.
I have to learn how to drive the car all over again, feel like I have my learners permit while going through the gears now but I like how the clutch feels so far.
Good deal. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

AmericanSpeed how many clutches have you been through?

I'm real curious to hear what your experiences were with them. And what the pluses/minuses are of each one.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The spec stage 2 has an off/on feel compared to stock, but it is still very smooth and streetable. It just has a much more narrow engagement window. It's good for me, makes it almost impossible to burn the clutch like i'd do with the stocker shifting into 2nd.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

When it's slipping and starting to go where does it show up first? Lower gears? Higher? Upper rpm range?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

How did you end up bleeding it? I just used the gravity method and i've never had a problem. The only thing different for me was 1st gear seems harder to shift into when I'm still barely moving, but stopped it shifts fine.

Did you get the spec flywheel?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
When it's slipping and starting to go where does it show up first? Lower gears? Higher? Upper rpm range?
Mine was noticeable in 3rd gear, 60mph at about 4000 rpms, but on a mostly stock car you might not feel it so soon.

If you think it's slipping, put it in 5th at 35-40mph and put your foot in it. If it's slipping, that will make it obvious. If the car slowly accelerates, then it's not slipping.

aclass, let me know if you notice a temperature difference with the synchromax. i couldn't believe how much cooler my transmission was running after the switch. The chrome shift handle of the hurst would fry an egg before, but cool as a cucumber after.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:23 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
How did you end up bleeding it? I just used the gravity method and i've never had a problem. The only thing different for me was 1st gear seems harder to shift into when I'm still barely moving, but stopped it shifts fine.

Did you get the spec flywheel?
Same here Moose, took advantage of gravity and never actually lost the entire resevoir. It seems to be just fine.
Mine actually seems to shift smoother although I have picked up that noise in the transmission in second gear that sounds like rubbing a bunch of marbles against a steel floor. You know the one that last for about a half second when your lugging around after shifting and as the gears speed up the pitch gets higher as it goes away??
It's weird, I didnt hear that before the clutch and Royal Purple change but I dont think it's anything to worry about.

And Yes, I went with the Spec flywheel.
I'll let you know about the temperature, we're experiencing an unusual cold spell here in the Mtns but I also cut me some furnace duct Aluminum insulation and stuck it to my firewall and underneath those heat sheilds for the Catalytic converters. It kinda wraps around the entire Transmission so that may also lead to my shifter being cooler, and hopefully my feet in the summer months.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aclass
Mine actually seems to shift smoother although I have picked up that noise in the transmission in second gear that sounds like rubbing a bunch of marbles against a steel floor. You know the one that last for about a half second when your lugging around after shifting and as the gears speed up the pitch gets higher as it goes away??
It's weird, I didnt hear that before the clutch and Royal Purple change but I dont think it's anything to worry about.
I was calling that clutch chatter, but i'm not sure that's the correct term. It will be less noticeable after a 1,000 miles, but mines still there. It's a rustling sound to me, like walking through dead leafs, but mine doesn't do it above 2,000-2200 rpms. I can't even hear it with the windows down and radio on.

Quick Reply: Wish me luck on the Spec 2