Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune problem with x-pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 02:38 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Tune problem with x-pipe install

After installing my Magnaflow X w/ cats my car didn't have the throttle response it had before and felt less powerful in the lower rpm ranges and I noticed some pinging at high rpms. I set my MAF curve to +2% and backed the timing btw 4K + rpms off by 1. The car feels better now but still not the same. I'm running the latest DSP tune for CL7140 Predators. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-25-2005, 12:17 PM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tune problem with x-pipe install

What you described, at least for the lower RPMs is what happens when an X pipe is used to replace the stock H pipe. The guy at the muffler shop told me the X pipe gives more power or torque in the mid to upper RPMs and the H pipe gives it to you in the low RPMs. It definitely feels different when I'm driving. I was used to feeling the surge of power from the take off to about 3K rpm. Now I get a big surge of power starting at 3K and lessening at 5K. It is much like the power band in some motorcycles. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but I am beginning to enjoy it a lot. I have to remind myself to look at the speedometer because, with the lack of "feeling" the power in the lower range (the car still has plenty of power, it just fees different), it's easy to be running at 90 mph while trying to get that "feeling" I'd felt before. I think I'm going to be very satisfied when I get used to all of the changes I've made to the car.

Steve
Old 06-25-2005, 04:04 PM
flyingt
2nd Gear Member

gianf,

How do you like the JBA headers?
Old 06-25-2005, 05:32 PM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

The JBA headers are great. The complete exhaust system is just what I hoped it would be because it sounds awesome (mean and deep). There are a few snags, if one chooses to look at them that way, about changing the entire exhaust system to another one. As I wrote in the previous post, the power dynamic of the car changed dramatically when I replaced the exhaust system and installed the C&L CAI with the Predator tune. It's not what it was and getting used to it is an ordeal. The car doesn't feel as powerful as it did when it was stock, but all I have to do when I'm driving it is look at the speedometer and see that it's going faster and more quickly than it was before I made the mods. The only difference is the "feel" of the car. There is definitely more power in the mid range of the power band. It feels like there isn't as much in the lower end of the power band but this appears to be a subjective illusion as I didn't time a quarter mile run when it was stock and again with the modifications. I'm really quite happy with what I have now. The only thing I may try to change is a vibration in the car at 2500 rpm that wasn't there before the new exhaust and CAI. I'm not sure what it is and I'm going to contact the muffler shop to have them take a look at the exhaust system to make sure everything is tight and firmly attached to the car.

All things considered so far; I'm absolutely thrilled with the car and the mods done to it. It's a good time to be the owner of a Stang.

Steve
Old 06-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Can anyone out there tell me if the power curve is changed with the C&L and the tuner? and excuse me if it sounds stupid its just 600 hundred dollars of modications is not really what is in my budget.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:57 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks gianf, but what I was describing was fixed with a modification to my tune. I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with things like the MAF curve or AF at WOT and found more throttle response. I definitely noticed a big difference with mine but I'm not sure if increaseing the MAF curve is completly safe. Also, are you running the generic DSP tune? I have read several times that headers (LT's or shorties) reguire some tune modifications because of the increased flow. What your experiencing is probably more pronounced than mine because of the LT's which work better at higher rpms but you may be able to correct most of it with a more specific tune.

Can't wait to get mine dyno tuned but for the $, I want to have more of my planned mods on before doing it.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:08 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Can anyone out there tell me if the power curve is changed with the C&L and the tuner? and excuse me if it sounds stupid its just 600 hundred dollars of modications is not really what is in my budget.
Hey Daniel, if you look at the dyno sheets provided by C&L and others, they show the power curve remaining almost identical to stock, only higher. It shows it well here http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html
Old 06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I'm having mine dynoed on Monday... so I'll see what the curves look like for my car.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Thanks Cool Daddy
ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Hey Daniel, if you look at the dyno sheets provided by C&L and others, they show the power curve remaining almost identical to stock, only higher. It shows it well here http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html