Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.10 GEAR RESPONSE AT THE TRACK

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
MUSTANGGT06

Question 4.10 GEAR RESPONSE AT THE TRACK

I INSTALLED 4.10 GEARS ON MY 06 GT AUTOMATIC. I HAVE STREET RADIALS AND I COULD NOT GET THE CAR TO HOOK UP. MY FACTORY 3.31 GEARS HOOKED UP BETTER. I'M SURE IT IS BECAUSE THE 4.10'S ARE SO MUCH QUICKER OUT OF THE HOLE. SHOULD I EASE OUT AT THE LAUNCH OR AM I JUST WASTING MY TIME WITHOUT PUTTING ON SLICKS. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GO THRU THE HASSLE OF CHANGING TIRES EVERY TIME I GO TO THE STRIP. ANY ADVICE?

P.S.- THERE WAS A NEW RT CHALLENGER THERE AND I WAS STILL 3/10TH OF SECOND FASTER THAN HIS BEST RUN AND I COULDN'T HOOK UP!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

numerically higher gears apply more torque to the pavement. It's like using a longer lever.

You need to learn how to launch the car better. Don't just stomp on the pedal, ease in to it a little. Once you're moving and it hooks up, then you stomp on it.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MUSTANGGT06
I INSTALLED 4.10 GEARS ON MY 06 GT AUTOMATIC. I HAVE STREET RADIALS AND I COULD NOT GET THE CAR TO HOOK UP. MY FACTORY 3.31 GEARS HOOKED UP BETTER. I'M SURE IT IS BECAUSE THE 4.10'S ARE SO MUCH QUICKER OUT OF THE HOLE. SHOULD I EASE OUT AT THE LAUNCH OR AM I JUST WASTING MY TIME WITHOUT PUTTING ON SLICKS. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GO THRU THE HASSLE OF CHANGING TIRES EVERY TIME I GO TO THE STRIP. ANY ADVICE?

P.S.- THERE WAS A NEW RT CHALLENGER THERE AND I WAS STILL 3/10TH OF SECOND FASTER THAN HIS BEST RUN AND I COULDN'T HOOK UP!
What were some of your times before/after gear change?

I went to the track last week and was absolutely embarresed at my times. 14.3-14.6 1/4 mile, 2.3-2.5 60' Stock gears, automatic + mods in sig Obviously no traction issues, just pride issues after every pass.

The one race i won was against a 1990 honda accord (stock w 250K miles)
Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

wow.. i have no idea how you guys can screw up so badly.. what was the DA when you went? Or tell me the track you went to and date and i'll figure it out for you.

my best time at a 4000ft DA was 13.5@101 2.0 60ft adjusted it comes down to 12.9@106 that was on MT DRs. my best time on stock tires was 13.6@101.9 2.1 60ft which adjusted to 13.0@107.. my worst run was on MT DRs, i got a 14.2@100 with a 2.5 60ft, i revved up too high and stabbed the gas too hard. I was spinning all through first. best advise. I have no idea what you guys did wrong to get your best times so horrible though.. for the most part id rev to about 2k, then let off the brake and push on the gas (but not stabbing it down hard/fast, just pushing into it)

oh and these times i got from just 4 passes at the track.. before that I ran 3x last year. that is my only track experience.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

try doing 'mini burn outs' on your spare time. I know it sounds a little strange but it works if you really try at it. Step on the brake, HARD, then give it gas, lifting off the brakes while 'riding' the gas in order to spin the tires. What you want to happen is the tires spinning while grapping for traction. As soon as that happens, go WOT, if the tires are fighting for traction then you did it wrong!

My best time was 13.2@103 w/2.0 60 ft.

my most consitent runs were 13.4@102 10 times in a row lol.

The trick with the auto is to launch it while spinning the tires are aggressively as possible for the first few seconds then going WOT. I have been trying in VAIN to get it to do that on the SECOND light as it goes on the third before the big GO light but I haven't been successful. Just think of it this way.. you have the power, the right gears and the means to hit 13.1/13.2s on STREET TIRES, what you MUST focus on is timing on the launches, 60 fts. and throttle manipulation. Those times are pretty damn good for only a few real mods (intake/tune,gears)

going back in a few weeks and aiming for 13.2s@103 all day.

Be careful of spinning the tires needlessly because the auto with 4.10s are horribly unforgiving.. if you spin from 1st through 3rd off the line, you'll end up with the 4th/5th gear for the entire run and you will have NO power. Trust me, I did it before lol.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
wow.. i have no idea how you guys can screw up so badly.. what was the DA when you went? Or tell me the track you went to and date and i'll figure it out for you.

my best time at a 4000ft DA was 13.5@101 2.0 60ft adjusted it comes down to 12.9@106 that was on MT DRs. my best time on stock tires was 13.6@101.9 2.1 60ft which adjusted to 13.0@107.. my worst run was on MT DRs, i got a 14.2@100 with a 2.5 60ft, i revved up too high and stabbed the gas too hard. I was spinning all through first. best advise. I have no idea what you guys did wrong to get your best times so horrible though.. for the most part id rev to about 2k, then let off the brake and push on the gas (but not stabbing it down hard/fast, just pushing into it)

oh and these times i got from just 4 passes at the track.. before that I ran 3x last year. that is my only track experience.
I don't know how you managed a 2.5 60 even with reving to high. I launched a 5k, dropped the clutch and still managed a 2.3 60 foot. Did you stay in it until redline? I'm pretty sure I short shifted a little bit, but I still spun almost all of 1st gear. Ran a 13.3@114,lol! I bet the people in the stands were trying to figure out that time.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
try doing 'mini burn outs' on your spare time. I know it sounds a little strange but it works if you really try at it. Step on the brake, HARD, then give it gas, lifting off the brakes while 'riding' the gas in order to spin the tires. What you want to happen is the tires spinning while grapping for traction. As soon as that happens, go WOT, if the tires are fighting for traction then you did it wrong!

My best time was 13.2@103 w/2.0 60 ft.

my most consitent runs were 13.4@102 10 times in a row lol.

The trick with the auto is to launch it while spinning the tires are aggressively as possible for the first few seconds then going WOT. I have been trying in VAIN to get it to do that on the SECOND light as it goes on the third before the big GO light but I haven't been successful. Just think of it this way.. you have the power, the right gears and the means to hit 13.1/13.2s on STREET TIRES, what you MUST focus on is timing on the launches, 60 fts. and throttle manipulation. Those times are pretty damn good for only a few real mods (intake/tune,gears)

going back in a few weeks and aiming for 13.2s@103 all day.

Be careful of spinning the tires needlessly because the auto with 4.10s are horribly unforgiving.. if you spin from 1st through 3rd off the line, you'll end up with the 4th/5th gear for the entire run and you will have NO power. Trust me, I did it before lol.
Thanks stealth.

I kind of tried that on my last run, I was just at the point of breaking them loose. Next time I will actually have some spinning. I still have stock gears so that is my biggest problem.

Second problem is me (I'm a good 370lbs so that is worth a few tenths).

Third thing is convertable, heavier than coupe.

Fourth - Full tank gas = dumb idea

My next runs will be in a month or so with the kooks installed and 1/4 tank of gas. I'm expecting an improvement.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

no problem dude.

i think the record for the best 60 ft. is 1.9 but that was with a manual and less pressure in the tires I am guessing...

trying to beat that myself.

(-:
Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Spinning tires have no traction. If you're spinning at any time other than the water box, you're losing time. Watch how the pros do it. They don't run up the tires in the launch area while the light is yellow, then try to get traction back.

Launching properly takes practice. You can't just hammer the throttle and expect a good time. Learn to do it on the street, and you'll get better traction on the track. Just practice the launch, don't do the whole 1/4 mile run on the street.

You want to raise the rpms to something close to your converter flash point, but don't exceed it. If you're over the flash point, the engine will bog. Again, you have to practice to get it right.

With only 1/4 tank of gas, the back end will be lighter. While that might improve your top end, it could also make the launch more difficult. Again, practice, practice, practice.

If it were easy, everyone would do it.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

My bad, spinning as it's gripping, not just spinning out aimlessly hitting redline.

Quick Reply: 4.10 GEAR RESPONSE AT THE TRACK