Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thinking of staying N/A mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
'00project
1st Gear Member

How much HP do you want to make? I just read MM&FF June 09 mag that has a write up on it. It made 27 more HP and a little more with a Whipple single blade. I was going to add a link, but it is not on the site yet. Should still be on the stands.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

LT Headers and x/h pipe will get you a nice chunk of power. The MAC and Kooks systems made 40HP on a supercharged motor. They wouldn't make that much on a N/A motor, but it would still be a nice gain, plus awesome sound.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ers/index.html

If you are planning on cams then the longtubes will be even more beneficial. I got a set of Kooks on the way so I'll know pretty soon if it was worth the money.

Last edited by bonestang; 06-08-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

The C&L intake manifold is a total flop for NA cars apparently. Definitely look in other directions if staying NA is truly your course of action. I'm thinking about staying NA myself, as my friends who are FI are without their cars for months at a time because different problems keep arising once you cross that 10-12psi threshold...

4.10s are on the way, and I'm hoping to pick up cams and Kooks LT's/catted H sometime in the more distant future.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:10 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

yeah, saw the Kooks out there on Brenspeed's site. WOW, big chunk out of the old wallet on that one! Would probably lean towards the MAC LTs as they got the 2nd most decent write up (next to the Kooks, of course). Still trying to figure out if emissions would be an issue in NC with the catless H pipe. But now a new question to consider...do LTs cause emissions problems also. And if I decided to get the LTs, and lower about 1.5 inches, are there ground clearance issues?
I had a '71 Torino with Hooker LTs and that SOB had clearance issues all the time.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

If your state checks to make sure all of your oxygen sensors are activated, you might run into trouble. LT headers might require you the tune to disable 2 of the O2 sensors. Also, emission problems result from the catless midpipe. You might not pass a sniff test or a visual test in that circumstance. I'm not familiar with NC's inspection process though.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 PM
rpatyna

my mods-Rob

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460665
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

I have the mac LT's they fit great sound good and are very well made. Headers will smooth out the exhaust note so a good axle back exhaust is a nice addition. For you questions on emmisions, both mac and kooks are more of a mid length header design even though they are sold as longtubes. that makes them more tune friendly allowing you to get an emmision legal tune from brenspeed, bama ect (depending on you state if your Cali sorry no LT's). You wont have any of the clearance issues associated with true long tubes and for some reason mac and kooks seem to make better numbers that borla, bassani ect which are true full length, I've got my headers, x pipe and high flow cats on now, dyno # in my sig. and i don't even have a tune yet. granted my numbers are alittle higher because i'm at sea level, any lower i'd need a snorkle on my car. I'll let you all know the numbers after the intake and tune are in. also I have the stock motor mounts and do not have any rubbing issues either. hope this helps you some. If you have any more questions on headers there is also alot of knowledge around this forum.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

I neglected to mention throttle body as I have not seen many people mention it as an upgrade. Is it worth it? Thoughts? What brand/size? Will it bolt right up with the JLT2 CAI?
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:48 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by I8ACHEVY
I neglected to mention throttle body as I have not seen many people mention it as an upgrade. Is it worth it? Thoughts? What brand/size? Will it bolt right up with the JLT2 CAI?
Thanks!
I've heard that the BBK throttle body causes a lot of problems. There's not much to improve over stock until you're very highly modified.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

So, been thinking about the MAC long tubes with an off road H pipe and now I am 2nd guessing the setup because it may be a little too loud and would attract trouble. (Neighbors/cops..etc). Also just found out that it would not pass a visual inspection. That being said, looks like I'd be going catted h pipe. Who sells a good one to go along with the MAC LTs? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Thinking of staying N/A mods?