Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Legend_Lime

Default Need Opinions

Howdy guys I'm new here. Me and my Dad just baught a 2005 mustang GT 5 speed. Totally stock to our and the Ford dealerships knowing. It's Legend Lime Green. It's got 60K on the clock car is in emaculant shape inside and out. Now it's time for mods....

The fellas the dealership was telling us he could get us a Ford racing package which included axle back exhaust, CAI, and programmer. But heres what threw me off, gains of 20hp? Seems low to me. I figured with a good intake and a tune from brenspeed in the SCT programmer should give us close to 30hp right? Mabe I'm dead wrong. Plus all of the Ford racing stuff is coverd under the Ford warranty. This is the power pack http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10277

Hurst shifter goes in tomarrow I think.

We already added these wheels http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=5126
with better BFG gforce tires.. The pony hooks geat with those...

Next up shaker hood system...

I am open to suggestions and want any and all mods you guys suggest.. now dont go thinking I'm lazy and not using the search button, trust me I'm putting in some work of my own...

Thanks,
Alex
Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Mufflers won't make any difference at all on this car. Headers, yes, but not just mufflers.

You are correct that a Brenspeed tune will get you about 30 hp. That's the route most of us go. Well, Brenspeed or Bamachips.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

I'm beginning to think that going with FRPP parts (EXCEPT FOR GEARS) exclusively doesn't really save you that much money just because they're "covered under warranty". You can pay 50-100% more for the same mod by buying FRPP, plus you have to pay bloated installation fees from the dealership to lock the mod into the warranty.

You might as well explore other known and trusted brands for each mod you intend to do. That way, you could use the money you'd save over the high cost of FRPP and exorbitant dealership installation fees and labor rates to buy more mods...or keep the money you'd save as a cushion in case anything goes wrong...which is HIGHLY unlikely until you get up into the higher-complexity mods.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Legend_Lime

well I've started asking around and one name in my town keeps coming up... So i called the guy up and he suggests doing a "cat back" exhaust with X pipe, these things http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...te-plates.html (can someone explain what those do?) and buying a SCT tuner and having him dyno tune it... HE said typical gains are around 40rwhp and has seen one go to 45rwhp....

thanks,
Alex
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

skip the cai/tune, go straight to fi
Old 06-09-2009, 04:34 PM
stevenca
1st Gear Member

Won't a pypes muffler delete kit give you a little more torque ?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Legend_Lime

whats an FI?

Alex
Old 06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by Legend_Lime
whats an FI?

Alex
FI = forced induction is a turbo or supercharger
NA = naturally aspirated is air drawn in by engine (created by slight vacuum from pistons)
Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

to answer your question with the charge motion plates... the stock plates have variable opening plates to control air flow... by removing them, the idea is to pick up a few hp... its not much at all but it could be a good combination with an intake and elbow as well as an underdrive pully kit...

but im with everyone else... you should not buy the motion plates because if you do end up getting FI (forced induction), then the plates become completely useless and you end up having to take them out. for starters, I would probably look into intakes and gears with a good tune by either Brenspeed or Bamachips. you could also look into changing the exhaust to a long tube setup with an x or h pipe (whichever you prefer). these mods will really help as well if you decide to go FI... just look in everyones signature also, like almost everyone on here has an intake, gears, and exhaust...

by the way, dont by the power package...

Quick Reply: Need Opinions