Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Full exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:20 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

Default Full exhaust system

I bought an 09 mustang GT about 3 months ago and I'm looking into redoing the full exhaust to get rid of the ugly sounding stock.

Main purpose is to get the loudest sound possible with maintaining as much performance as I can. I'm looking into these three items...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-ch...ders-2005.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...r-catback.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...-or-xpipe.html

I'm not that good with car parts, so my first question regarding these ones is would I have any problems installing them together? If not can I get my exhaust to sound pretty loud especially having the O/R mid pipes and mid-muffler on the cat backs. I asked around and was told they would definitely get my car with a loud deep sound.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Generally an o/r x will sound raspier almost like a race car were the o/r h will have a deeper muscle car tone. Shorter headers may give you a little bit of hp around 5-10. I have read a few post saying shorties actually made the car a little quieter. IMO skip the shorties and save for l/t headers.
To get the idea of how different set-ups sound, go to mustang or car meets and listen to them in person. Youtube and the like are okay, but sound quality is limited by recording devices. My car on youtube is a prime example. I used a fuji digital camera, so the recording wasn't ideal. Sounds okay on youtube, but awesome in person. When listening to youtube clips, wear head/earphones.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Although pypes midmufflers do sound good, you might want to also look at magnapacks. Here is a clip of maganpacks with an O/R H
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqHb7...eature=related
Old 06-18-2009, 11:47 AM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

I got few questions to ask you if you don't mind...

First as far as the headers go, do l/t give you the same or more HP as shorties? Since like you mentioned shorties might make the car a bit quieter.

Any idea if there's a big difference between O/R H and O/R X hp? If it's true like you said as far as the sound I'd rather go with H pipes cuz of sound definitely.

I'll definitely be looking into magnapacks i like the way it sounds.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Well give me a couple weeks and I'll have JBA shorties, Magnaflow Catted X (Emissions area) and also the pypes mid system. Also be aware that you could have those magnapacks also mounted mid system like the pypes.

I'm only going with the pypes becasue I'm getting a good deal to install all of it if there is no welding only bolt on. If it all sounds good to me I'll take it by a local shop and have them weld it up.

Last edited by Starfire; 06-18-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:14 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkJFMan
I got few questions to ask you if you don't mind...

First as far as the headers go, do l/t give you the same or more HP as shorties? Since like you mentioned shorties might make the car a bit quieter.

Any idea if there's a big difference between O/R H and O/R X hp? If it's true like you said as far as the sound I'd rather go with H pipes cuz of sound definitely.

I'll definitely be looking into magnapacks i like the way it sounds.
From what I have read, the L/Ts will get you a lot more HP. The Kooks have the best HP gains, but they are also the priciest. I have read that the shjorties are not worth the time and effort for the gains you get. I think I read that the O/R X pipe gains slightly more HP, but sounds a lot raspier as was mentioned earlier. I want to go with the Kooks L/T and midpipe package, but I don't think I can stomach the $1400 +/- price tag. I will likely go with the JBAs or the MACs. I think the MACs actually netted more HP than the Kooks, but I have heard about fitment issues with the MACs. I am thinking about the JBAs with their O/R H setup. Brenspeed has this for around $700-800.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

LT's add more hp than shorties, but they may also cause a loss of some low rpm torque, and adversely affect driveability.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

As I've read many times and seen dyno reading also that seem to show the shorties will produce less HP then a long tube but they also produce more torque lower in the RPM range, and that's what I want. You'll see a bigger gain with LTs if you go FI but I've also seen guys that have changed to long tubes only gain 6-7 HP, and for me that's not worth risking any low end loss. Anyway you look at you are helping the engine breathe some more, maybe a little, maybe a lot, but any is better then none.

Also I pretty much got JBA shorties ceramic coated, magnaflow catted x pipe, and pypes mid muffler for the same prices as kooks headers alone. I can take that extra money and put it towards something that will gain a lot more then a few more HP, and on top of it all still be emissions legal (Yes I'm in a testing area) Works for me!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're looking for power and sound, it'll probably be less expensive or equal in $$ but gain you more power to do a CAI & tune combo for the power (if you haven't already) plus install a good set of axlebacks for the sound. Catbacks add nothing over axlebacks.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:37 AM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If you're looking for power and sound, it'll probably be less expensive or equal in $$ but gain you more power to do a CAI & tune combo for the power (if you haven't already) plus install a good set of axlebacks for the sound. Catbacks add nothing over axlebacks.
I've already got the CAI on order, now I'm adding exhaust system to the cart before ordering it all.

As far as the axlebacks goes... If I get the headers and mid pype, can I use that stock catback and replace axlebacks? Or it's better to order both, because it seems if I do get axlebacks, catbacks would be a waste of money... That if I understand the axlebacks and catbacks difference correctly.

Thanks all for help.

Quick Reply: Full exhaust system