Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Any benefit to CAI with 87 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

Default Any benefit to CAI with 87 octane?

How much benefit do you get by installing a cold air intake with a Predator tune if you don't want to pay for higher octane gas? I'd like to get some more horsepower with the CAI, but am not sure I want to have to spend the extra $$ on gas. What do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:32 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Any benefit to CAI with 87 octane?

the only mods requiring higher octane are poweradders, increased ignition timing, or a motor built for higher compression. Other than that, octane doesnt increase horsepower. Never increases horsepower anyways - it only allows for more timing to be ran really.

So no, keep using 87 as long as you dont get pinging
Old 07-01-2005, 06:51 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

From research, I found that the Predator tuner has custom tunes that get you extra horsepower out of the premium fuels. Also, I saw claims that on the RPMOutlet website that the CAI with Predator will get you up to 26/27 HP. My assumption was that some of this HP was due to the higher octane tune, while the rest was due to just the CAI. So, what I want to know is how much HP do you get if you use the CAI with 87 octane. Has anyone done a dyno with this setup? I hope I am making sense here.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:58 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

you get more horsepower with the tuner because of increased ignition timing and a more aggressive fuel ratio curve. The added octane to go with the tuner doesnt add power, its supports the increased timing and prevents detonation.

CAI's are usually worth 2-3 hp. I've never looked under the hood of an '05 but I believe theirs some sort of silencer or something in there you can take out thats worth 4 or 5 hp in itself.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:12 PM
SVT99LEGEND
1st Gear Member

Actually they said, I'll find the article and post back, the best and cheapest power adder for an 05 GT is just to put 91 in it. They did a dyno run, and got 5hp from just switching gas.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

So, for those of you that have the Predator and the CAI, is it required to use premium fuel? According to the website FAQ, it looks like it is required. Please let me know what results you have had. I would like to install the CAI and Predator tune and don't want to damage the engine, but I also would like to save $$ on gas if I can.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:46 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

You don’t need premium fuel to use any CAI+Tune to get a HP increase. You can use the tune for 87 octane and get a increase. The thing is, using the 93 octane fuels allow for a tune to be more aggressive with timing, mixing and fuel curves, that you will see a much bigger advance. When they tell you that a 30 WRHP gain can be found, that is on premium fuel. You can use a tune for 87 octane and you will still see an advance, it just wont be the same amount.

I find that the 93 octane fuels only cost me a few bucks more per fill up. With the Steeda+Xcal2 93 octane tune, that extra 15HP with the 93 tune over the 87 tune is well worth it.

But to answer your question, yes, you can use any CAI and tune it for 87 octane fuel and see a slight performance gain.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:49 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

Also, you will only ever damage your engine by using gas (poor or good) if you have a very hi-tuned engine and use cheap fuel (hence get preignition or detination). If you use hi-octane fuel, even stock, you will never damage anything.

Hi-performance + low octane = trouble.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TorchRedBeauty

...but I also would like to save $$ on gas if I can.
I'm sorry.. I have to say it: Why did you get a performance V8 if you are worried about a few pennies worth of gas!!! You're talking about $3 per tank here!! Let's say you put 100K miles on the car in six years. It would cost you less than $200/year, or $4 per week. Give up one fast food meal a week and pep up your pony!!!

OK, I feel better.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:25 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w

ORIGINAL: TorchRedBeauty

...but I also would like to save $$ on gas if I can.
I'm sorry.. I have to say it: Why did you get a performance V8 if you are worried about a few pennies worth of gas!!! You're talking about $3 per tank here!! Let's say you put 100K miles on the car in six years. It would cost you less than $200/year, or $4 per week. Give up one fast food meal a week and pep up your pony!!!

OK, I feel better.

That's funny I was told basically the same thing at the dyno shop.

Quick Reply: Any benefit to CAI with 87 octane?