Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mods for an 08 automatic GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

if you can afford it I'd do a brenspeed Stage 3 supercharger, skip the stalled converter, you'll be making peak boost at 2k rpm anyway especailly on a DD driver, don't do a converter.. (is what i've been told by people who have used them). you'll need wider tires.. i believe you can get away with 305 Mickey Thompson drag radials. with that power level but you might want even wider rims/tires.

gears are awesome.. plenty of people are doing 4.10s in the auto and running excellent times, especially at that power level.

Driveshaft+long tube headers+blower cams would get you some nice rwhp but you would risk messing up your tranny.. bad idea on a DD..

I'd probably just do the blower and driveshaft and wider rims/tires

some of this depends on your purpose with the car.. drag strip style racing im guessing since you have an auto like me. Lowering it is probably not the best thing to do for dragstrip racing.. if you want to fill out the wheel wells you could get some 20s but they will hurt your performance. The stock suspension actually does pretty decently at the strip (aside from the LCAs, wheel hop issues)

with the Mods in my sig i ran a 13.5@102mph w/ a 4000ft DA.. that is like running a 12.8@108mph at sea level.. i'm very happy with it.. and I run very consistently, no more than .1 difference in my et. (except for like 1 time out of 10 runs, bad launch) that is on stock tires.. i think with some good traction i can get another .1 or .2 knocked off easily.

Last edited by Mishri; 07-13-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

They make street convertors that will actually make your tranny last longer when makng more power. It takes a tight convertor that locks up around 1500 RPMs and lets it flash the high 2000 RPM area all the way to 3,500 while still keeping it's street manners.

The way the convertor makes your car take off the line is like dropping from a 3.55 to a 4.10 but different. It puts your car in the RPM range immediately and you will pull 60' like a mad man. You would be in the high 1.5- 1.6 range on your 60' with a good tire.

Obviously it just my opinion, but if I were to do it all over again I would have gotten an automatic and stalled it.

Even without the convertor you will have a blast.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

4.10s are a great mod, even with the stock airbox and an aggressive tune. I ran that for a while before reinstalling the CAI and it was just as quick, but with less top end.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by Simon1
They make street convertors that will actually make your tranny last longer when makng more power. It takes a tight convertor that locks up around 1500 RPMs and lets it flash the high 2000 RPM area all the way to 3,500 while still keeping it's street manners.

The way the convertor makes your car take off the line is like dropping from a 3.55 to a 4.10 but different. It puts your car in the RPM range immediately and you will pull 60' like a mad man. You would be in the high 1.5- 1.6 range on your 60' with a good tire.

Obviously it just my opinion, but if I were to do it all over again I would have gotten an automatic and stalled it.

Even without the convertor you will have a blast.
I'm sure you have a lot of experience and knowledge.. but i'll continue to listen to people who have done it with a twinscrew s/c application on multiple s197s.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 PM
mustanghobby
1st Gear Member

Ive got a whipple, 4.10s, and a pi 2700 tc. i installed everything in that order. the whipple was fun, the gears made it better and the tc was by far the best mod! if you ever go with a tc make sure you get a good one.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:35 AM
ddiehl
1st Gear Member

I would have to suggest the handling package first. Then the supercharger. I installed the Roush Stage II kit on my 07 GT auto and the "street legal" exhaust. Expensive but everything worked great and it sounded good. Still have the X pipe to put on. Nothing impressed me as much however as the installation of the M90 Roush Supercharger. It transformed that car completely. With the auto trans I was really amazed at the agressive shifting. As it does so it kind of stands up and drops down into the next gear with no loss of acceleration rate at all.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustanghobby
Ive got a whipple, 4.10s, and a pi 2700 tc. i installed everything in that order. the whipple was fun, the gears made it better and the tc was by far the best mod! if you ever go with a tc make sure you get a good one.
how are the gears with that whipple and what suspension, wheels/tires are you running?

I am keeping the 4.10s but gonna get some 295/45s/17s when I get a blower as well as some suspension mods.

Right now, even with less then 300whp, the gears are killers! lol..
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddiehl
I would have to suggest the handling package first.
why the handling package? Other then helping on the twisties, does it help with launching?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
mustanghobby
1st Gear Member

Stealth i have to say after putting the 410s and tc i wish i would have put them on sooner!! i waited a year before i installed them, the car i so much fun now. i have roush springs, bmr uca lca panhard and relocation brackets and bilstein shocks. i did have 18s on and ran it at the track a few dozen times. since then i put 20s on because i hit the shows now more 285-30 20 and 255-35-20
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
mustanghobby
1st Gear Member

I just noticed u have a c/s i have a black 07 c/s

Quick Reply: Mods for an 08 automatic GT