Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM
talldude100
1st Gear Member

Default Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT

code 43S [security pkg] includes what? wheel locks don't care, but whats in the pkg? for the $$$

code 58X {GPS} does that have to have that zit on the trunk? can this be ordered w/o Sirus 6mo thing!

Finally I'll be lookin for mileage so which is better A/T or 5 spd...thnks
Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM
talldude100
1st Gear Member

Default Gee! question #4

if you have the ordered GPS in your 2010! how do you like it? worth the $$$$.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 PM
millpond
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by talldude100
code 43S [security pkg] includes what? wheel locks don't care, but whats in the pkg? for the $$$

code 58X {GPS} does that have to have that zit on the trunk? can this be ordered w/o Sirus 6mo thing!

Finally I'll be lookin for mileage so which is better A/T or 5 spd...thnks
43S is basically an alarm system. You can't delete the Sirus. The manual trans should give the better fuel mileage along with a big boost in the fun factor. Package 67T(3.73 rear axle) won't help fuel mileage, but it would make the car more fun.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
s][re

What does the Active Anti-Theft System do, and is it really worth the price? Isn't the SecuriLock Passive Anti-theft System good enough?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Re: the Active anti-theft system, it has the incline sensors, etc. that give it a few more bells and whistles above the passive system.

And the satellite puck is on the trunklid for all Mustangs. The new versions of SYNC use GPS for traffic, directions, and information services (free upgrade if you don't have it from the factory) and for the 911 Assist feature. The antenna on the trunk is how the vehicle becomes position-aware.

But I'm REALLY glad you asked about the nav system, as that's what I work on (and if you can't already tell, I'm really proud of it, but I'm biased).

Anyway, I've included some screen shots of it below. The first one is the main screen in the bezel (all pictures were taken at night, so the colors in the nav screen are darker--on purpose--to minimize 'light blinding'). The screen shown is the 'home screen' (more on that in a second).

The second picture is the welcome screen. You see this every time you key-on your vehicle. You also get a 'Good morning/afternoon/evening' message depending on the time of day.

The third picture is the 'home screen'. It shows nav/current location in the left pane, media (radio, Sync, satellite, jukebox, etc) in the upper right pane, and climate control info in the lower right pane. Touching any of the panes expands that interface into full-screen mode (those are pictured later). Clicking the little '>' button scrolls through options available for that pane. You can have more detailed info, a favorite picture/pictures, and other things replace the default content of one or both panes.

The fourth picture is the full-screen map screen. You can get to it by touching the map on the home screen or by pressing the 'map' button on the bezel below the screen. I have mine set to 'birds eye' view, but you can also view a 2D 'north up' map (where your avatar moves around a map that stays oriented with north pointing up), a 2D 'heading up' map (where the map rotates around your avatar, which is always pointing up), or the bird-eye (3D) map that I have shown, which is a heading-up map. You scroll through the different types by pressing the compass button in the upper left of the screen (zoom is right below it). You'll always have the name of the street you're currently on displayed on the bottom of the map.

The fifth picture is the real-time radar function, made available through Sirius Travel Link data services. This updates every minute or so, and shows you where the rain is relative to your position. If hail or rotation is detected in a storm, that info is also displayed on this screen via icons. Touching one of these icons, then pressing the info button that'll appear on the right side of the screen tells you what dangerous storm activity is detected by radar, how fast the storm producing that activity is moving, and in what direction it's moving.

The forum cut me off at 5 attachments, so I'll post another reply for a few other nifty screens.
Attached Thumbnails Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5154.jpg   Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5051.jpg   Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5053.jpg   Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5059.jpg   Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5062.jpg  

Old 07-18-2009, 12:24 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Okay, continuing the screenshot madness...

The first screenshot in this post is the current conditions screen, with data via Sirius Travel Link. Current conditions, temperature, humidity, precipitation chances, cloudcover, windspeed/direction are all available here. If you press the '5 Day' button at the top right, you'll end up at:

Screenshot 2--the 5-day forecast. Pretty self-explanatory. You usually see this screen in the Lincoln TV commercials. They seem to like it for some reason. If you were to press the 'Ski Info' button in the top right, you can also get information for most ski slopes in the US.

The third screen is the media screen. If you were to touch the media pane on the home screen or press the media hard button on the bezel, you'd see this. You can select non-radio sources via the left tabs (yes, it WILL play DVDs when in park--the audio continues but screen cuts out if you put the vehicle in gear, though). You can also set a bunch of options by the buttons on the right. Satellite and Terrestrial radio also have similar screens if you happen to be listening to that as your source.

The fourth screen is the climate control screen. You can set driver and passenger zone temperatures, fan speed, and blower position here.

Of course, most of the stuff I described in the past few paragraphs can be voice-activated as well.

The little home button in the bottom left of most screens will take you back to the home screen (see previous post), and the loop-looking button in the bottom right, when present, will take you back to the previous screen.

There are other screens I didn't take pictures of, though, that are pretty cool. With nav, you can look for points of interest (POIs) near you, just like with portable navigation devices (things like restaurants, golf courses, ATMs, etc). Also, with that Travel Link data, you can get real-time traffic and road closure updates (if you're on a navigation route and something comes up on your route while you're driving, it will alert you and offer to find a path around it).

You can also look for nearby gas stations, get access to their prices (from how it's explained to me by Sirius, they get price data based on aggregate credit card price transactions), and sort those stations by distance, price (lowest to highest), etc. You can also get movie times (looks for theaters near your current location), sports scores, and so on. It really does so much stuff, I can't begin to explain it all here. That's why it takes a bunch of full-time engineers (like me!) to make sure it runs smoothly.

Anyway, I can feel carpal tunnel starting to set in, so I'll stop here (plus, I don't want to sound like a salesman--I just get excited talking about what I get to do at work). If you have any additional questions though, feel free to fire 'em my way!
Attached Thumbnails Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5067.jpg   Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5070.jpg   Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5088.jpg   Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT-img_5095.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 AM
GT_n00b
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
the most amazing write up ever
Is it possible to upgrade to the nav system on a 2010 mustang that did not come with this from factory?
edit: GT Premium if that matters
Old 07-18-2009, 12:55 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Alas, I don't believe it is (I won't say absolutely not, but you're looking at a LOT of time, money, and potential to screw up the existing systems while voiding your warranty).

Unfortunately, the new radios don't follow the old GAP architecture (modular design), and have distributed components (display, bezel, ACM, etc). To go from a CID (what you have) to a 8-in LCD would require a new bezel, new hard button controls, a new screen, (likely) a new ACM, and then there'd be the dual-zone climate control issues (nav goes with dual-zone), as well as Sirius Travel Link data acquisition and map data updates.

It'd be a messy situation if you asked me. While I don't want to be a party pooper, I'd steer clear of a conversion.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:11 AM
dconfer
1st Gear Member

Now you have gone and done it. Got me more excited for my car. I wish it would come. Love what I see here with the nav system. Tks FordEngineer for doing this.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 AM
kinoman2002
2nd Gear Member

FordEngineer, it would be really great if you start a thread with different voice control options. I've accessed the MySync website and they offer a printable page of commands but the link leads to nowhere. If you could give some tips it would be great.

Quick Reply: Some ordering questions:2010 V8 GT