Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.6L 3v bottom end strength with supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 PM
70torino429
1st Gear Member

Default 4.6L 3v bottom end strength with supercharger?

im curious as to what kind of power levels you have to reach before busting the lower end into pieces becomes prevalent? I was thinking of adding a supercharger but i dont want to buy one with such high output that it will cause reliability problems. I was thinking of purchasing the magnuson-trickflow roots blower kit. if im not mistaken they come with everything to needed to install and a handheld tuner to recalibrate the ecu. does anybody know what kind of psi this kit in particular puts out? i cant seem to find it anywhere. If not that kit i would be looking at a paxton novi 2200 or 1200 which i believe comes with all the parts needed and a handheld tuner as well. opinions?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

450-500rwhp is approximately what the power limit is. i got whipple HO w/ pulley change for 8 psi and 449 rwhp, thats what i am comfortable running on the stock bottom. the magnussen is about 5-6 psi, i think, good for around 400 rwhp. there's at least 1 vendor on here that offers the magnussen, maybe they can chime in about it more. depends more how you drive the mustang and how long the stock internals will last.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Well, with the magnuson, you'd probably be like 1 out of 20 people that have that blower.

I've had my whipple HO tuned to put me through the traps at almost 123 mph for over a year now.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 PM
70torino429
1st Gear Member

well, id rather not be one out of 20 lol. ill have to look into the whipple HO, since it seems fairly popular on here.

So what exactly is the weak link in the bottom end? the pistons? rods? etc? ive never torn down a modular engine to replace rods and or pistons, but i assume it isnt much more difficult than changing pistons/rods in a 351 or 302?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the weakest link is the rods. but while your in there i would also go forged pistons and crank. but when i do upgrade my block i will do a FRPP aluminator, just bc i can get a good price on it, and i can have a spare short block on the side to play around with or sell.

i think its HaneyMotorsports that sells the magnussen SC, they are a sponsor on here, you could try PM them. but the whipple has more room to grow.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The whipple has Ford Racing's name on it so you can count on it being good if Ford is behind it. Everyone loves it and it has a lot of potential for more in the future if you ever want to go that route.

If I were to get a s/c'er, I'd get either Whipple or Edelbrock E-Force. I really like how the E-Force does not whine. Whine is ok, but to me I'd rather not have it so I can hear the exhaust more. Most tend to like the whine a lot. I'm one of the exceptions.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
The whipple has Ford Racing's name on it so you can count on it being good if Ford is behind it. Everyone loves it and it has a lot of potential for more in the future if you ever want to go that route.

If I were to get a s/c'er, I'd get either Whipple or Edelbrock E-Force. I really like how the E-Force does not whine. Whine is ok, but to me I'd rather not have it so I can hear the exhaust more. Most tend to like the whine a lot. I'm one of the exceptions.
you can make that 2 of us for the no whining, i can take it or leave it. if you can hear the whine, that just means your exhaust aint loud enuff.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

LOL!

I don't think I'd want mine any/much louder. With Kooks headers and their high flow H (which flows almost as good as an O/R which is amazing) and the boomtubes, it's pretty freaking crazy IMO. I like it but damn, it's so much different now.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

The Edelbrock is definitely a good choice if "stealth" and quiet is to your liking
Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
you can make that 2 of us for the no whining, i can take it or leave it. if you can hear the whine, that just means your exhaust aint loud enuff.
You'd hate my car then, LOL. All stock exhaust!!

Quick Reply: 4.6L 3v bottom end strength with supercharger?