Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To upgrade, or TO UPGRADE? ($10k)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
cleonard19

Default To upgrade, or TO UPGRADE? ($10k)

Okay, so here's my dilemma: I'm looking to put about 10k into "CAR". the thing is, I don't know if it should be my car. I've done a lot to my car, well, not a lot, but I did it all myself, including the cams, so there's a sense of pride in it. YET, the car has issues.

So if I were to keep the car, at a minimum, I would need to : Remove, bondo, and repaint the hood to its stock configuration or buy a new one. Get said hood, and rest of car repainted (vinyls are starting to look like hot A$$, and there's definitely "sun stripes" from the paint fading.), clutch/flywheel needs replaced, and probably some suspension work.

Also, while I started out wanting to go the N/A route, I've decided otherwise, having gotten into a horsepower war with myself, and with my roomate.

On the other hand, I could trade it in. I just don't know what for though. Honestly, I owe 18.5k on the car, so i'm probably upside down by about 3.5k if I were to trade it in. And I don't know what I'd trade it in for. I'd even be down with trading it in for another S197 that has less headaches associated with it (body condition, clutch, having gone the N/A route, etc.)

Anyone have any suggestions? One way or another, this isn't like 10k I've saved up, this is 10k that I'm just getting, and will be spent on the car. So there is more money in the future towards more mods regardless.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:36 PM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

post a few pictures of the car.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

i'd put the money into that one.. all the way, half of the easy mods are already done, and on this you can take the time to make it perfect. then again you could get a newer cobra that would be your gt stock with all the mods you have on it, plus the supercharger.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

Some of his mods will not go well with a supercharger (e.g. UDP and check with FRPP about the use of the cams with a SC).
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

its an investment...id probably get blown and use the rest to paying the car off...
Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I say drop a SuperShaker on it (providing the cams aren't going to hurt you here), and hope that lines up with the current problem with the hood. Then you can sell the UPDs and CAI, to offset some cost. Then pick up a clutch that'll work for your new power. If you can do the cams, you should have no problem with the blower, and can probably handle the clutch, so we'll go with raw pricing here (rough, as I'm not going to make any specific part suggestions, just to give some ideas), as labor should be free.

$6250 for the blower, $500 sound fair for a performance clutch? Well, and resurfacing the flywheel. That should cover that. Take off about $200, or $250 for selling the UDPs and CAI, so that puts us at about $6500. $200 or so for LCAs, $175ish for an UCA to help keep the power on the pavement. And you've still got $3025 left over for body work, or extra suspenion stuff.

Or, you could use the 10Gs to get way ahead on the car note. But that wouldn't be any fun.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM
cleonard19

Okay, so lets talk specifics for the FI track. If I do it, my goal is >450 rwhp, and since I've never gonet he FI path (had a 00GT that I went N/A on), I'm pretty lost on what I would need to do. I've heard that the FRPP's can take a S/c, so I'd leave those, and i have the stock UDP in my closet. Would someone mind going over the specifics about what I would need to buy/replace to achieve 5000rwhp?

namely:
What can the stock internals handle?
Can the rear end handle it?

Last edited by cleonard19; 07-29-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 PM
cleonard19

Originally Posted by bynumj
post a few pictures of the car.

Will do as soon as I get back to charleston. Currently in ATL on leave. The pic in my sig is from us putting in the LT's, and X-pipe.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
cleonard19

Can someone close this thread? I've decided to go with the whipple.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:41 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cleonard19
Can someone close this thread? I've decided to go with the whipple.
Where are you getting it from?
Found a good deal on it?

Quick Reply: To upgrade, or TO UPGRADE? ($10k)