Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shorty Header Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shorty Header Benefits?

ORIGINAL: silver05GT

Well I already have a custom 3 inch side exiting exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers
Thanks John
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Daniel60

I have the Mac axlebacks and I enjoy the sound and I believe now some more performance however what is wrong with JBA's if you don't mind me asking.
ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT
I didn't mean to say there was anything wrong with the JBA's, in fact they are probably the best ones out there. I know they are equal length, CARB legal, and the gen II shorties don't need the hardened engine mounts. I won't get them because I will not spend $550.00 for the cheapest ones to get 12-15hp max. I would rather get 10-12hp???? with the MAC's or FRPP for a lot less, but I have some other mods planned before I start seriously considering headers long or short tube.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:54 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver05GT

What kind of sound benefits can I expect from the shorty headers and also my main question is how difficult to install. I understand the lack in hp improvements but I like the idea of sound and better flow of air. But if thats the case Im just going to get some mac shorties for like 400 instead of JBA shorties for 700 do you guys think thats a wise install and Ive done motor work before I have a 1970 Mach 1 with a 408 stroker that I worked on so I have some experience but I am more concerned with space I dont want to have to deal with it if it requires pull the engine out slightly i just want to know if they can fit in there easily.

Thanks John

www.pacificaperformance.com

Email or call Dan, he can help you with MAC products.......his dad owns MAC
Old 07-07-2005, 12:22 AM
flyingt
2nd Gear Member

Our all the shorties talked about in this thread equal length headers and is BBK's shorties equal?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

I believe BBK, MAC, and FRPP are all optimum length which I think means that they are the lengths that those companies found worked best on their dynos but I'm not sure. I've always heard you want to go with equal length headers for obvious reasons.

What do you all think of BBK getting 17hp max on their headers? I'd say pretty good if true and the price is right. RPM's page also states no additional modifications necessary so I guess you don't need the new motor mounts.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:55 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

I believe BBK, MAC, and FRPP are all optimum length which I think means that they are the lengths that those companies found worked best on their dynos but I'm not sure. I've always heard you want to go with equal length headers for obvious reasons.

What do you all think of BBK getting 17hp max on their headers? I'd say pretty good if true and the price is right. RPM's page also states no additional modifications necessary so I guess you don't need the new motor mounts.
The reason JBA's shortys cost so much is that they took the time to actually design and dyno test several versions of these headers before going into production. I looked at several of the other brands including FRP, BBKS and MAC's (Kook's mid's were not out yet), and the only design to get even close to equal length and as long a tube as possible was JBA. All the others are basically tubular versions of the stock cast manifolds and are designed to be easy to install. JBA does not subscribe to this approach, they used every available inch to make their headers work and still fit the car. Look at JBA's images of their shortys they have long flowing tubes and large radius bends. JBA headers are all stainless steel and the upper models are ceramic coated. JBA's shorty headers have a nice collector and anti-reversion flow diverter they call a "firecone", all of these details are why JBA's cost more and make power. JBA doesn't make any wild HP claims but they do confidantly sell you they headers knowing that they are as the best available for the given restraints. When your MAC's or BBK's rust out or crack the cost of the JBA's will seem like a bargin.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2005, 05:30 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

The reason JBA's shortys cost so much is that they took the time to actually design and dyno test several versions of these headers before going into production. I looked at several of the other brands including FRP, BBKS and MAC's (Kook's mid's were not out yet), and the only design to get even close to equal length and as long a tube as possible was JBA. All the others are basically tubular versions of the stock cast manifolds and are designed to be easy to install. JBA does not subscribe to this approach, they used every available inch to make their headers work and still fit the car. Look at JBA's images of their shortys they have long flowing tubes and large radius bends. JBA headers are all stainless steel and the upper models are ceramic coated. JBA's shorty headers have a nice collector and anti-reversion flow diverter they call a "firecone", all of these details are why JBA's cost more and make power. JBA doesn't make any wild HP claims but they do confidantly sell you they headers knowing that they are as the best available for the given restraints. When your MAC's or BBK's rust out or crack the cost of the JBA's will seem like a bargin.

Cheers
I'm not really sure why your quoting me, but I guess JBA gets your vote....they should put you on the pay roll.

Cheers
Old 07-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I read somewhere that JBA's can be a ball buster to install on some Stangs. Many seemed pretty pissed off with this problem. Don't really know the whole story.