Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shorty Header Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:57 AM
silver05GT

Default Shorty Header Benefits?

Short Tube Headers
Whose got the best shorty headers and whats the benefits of shorty headers and long tube headers. What types of power increases will I get from shorty headers and also what types of sound will I get if any. Im just curious as to what types of changes I can expect from the headers. Also is it possible to install the shorties myself or do I have to have them installed.

Thanks John

Old 07-06-2005, 01:25 AM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Shorty Header Benefits?

Shorty headers won't give you much of a power gain. They are more for added noise.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:34 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I don't know how true this is, but I have read somewhere to use shorties for forced induction motors, and long tubes for NA motors. Can anyone tell me why this is or is not true?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 AM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

It's kind of a moot point for those of us living in California. What I was told is the shorty headers are the only ones that will pass smog in this state. I'm not disappointed I got them though.

Steve
Old 07-06-2005, 03:13 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: gianf

It's kind of a moot point for those of us living in California. What I was told is the shorty headers are the only ones that will pass smog in this state. I'm not disappointed I got them though.

Steve
I'm not really concerned about passing smog... we won't have to get an inspection until 2011. I plan on dedicating mine to fulltime track duty by then!!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:34 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w

I don't know how true this is, but I have read somewhere to use shorties for forced induction motors, and long tubes for NA motors.
I've heard the same thing but I'm getting shorties because of my x-pipe setup and my wet dream of getting a Saleen SC. JBA should be the best for the $$$$ they charge but I'll be going with MAC or FRPP. I've seen dynos for other 4.6L getting 12-15 hp and 15 ft/lbs but havn't seen any #'s for a 24V yet. I'll be having a pro install mine just to make sure everything is good.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:31 AM
silver05GT

What kind of sound benefits can I expect from the shorty headers and also my main question is how difficult to install. I understand the lack in hp improvements but I like the idea of sound and better flow of air. But if thats the case Im just going to get some mac shorties for like 400 instead of JBA shorties for 700 do you guys think thats a wise install and Ive done motor work before I have a 1970 Mach 1 with a 408 stroker that I worked on so I have some experience but I am more concerned with space I dont want to have to deal with it if it requires pull the engine out slightly i just want to know if they can fit in there easily.

Thanks John
Old 07-06-2005, 10:03 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Hey silver, if all you want is sound you can just get an X-pipe and axle back system. With your experience you could install that stuff easily. The MAC's are the better deal, JBA's aren't making $300 more worth of horsepower to get them. Also with some of the short and long tube headers you will need Steeda's hard engine mounts. So my advice, get the MAC's, have a professional install them and get dyno #s for the rest of us!!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I have the Mac axlebacks and I enjoy the sound and I believe now some more performance however what is wrong with JBA's if you don't mind me asking.
ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

Hey silver, if all you want is sound you can just get an X-pipe and axle back system. With your experience you could install that stuff easily. The MAC's are the better deal, JBA's aren't making $300 more worth of horsepower to get them. Also with some of the short and long tube headers you will need Steeda's hard engine mounts. So my advice, get the MAC's, have a professional install them and get dyno #s for the rest of us!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11318/8268D691442F434298B1F332E6526129.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-06-2005, 04:23 PM
silver05GT

Well I already have a custom 3 inch side exiting exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers so I was just looking to get a little more agressive tone with the headers but if I wont accomplish that then forget it. Ill spend the money elsewhere my car is already louder than ****.

Thanks John

Quick Reply: Shorty Header Benefits?