Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Hotrod cam owners, I need help......

Old 12-21-2009, 01:36 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I forgot about this thread. I remember now when I originally saw this thread it started to freak me out (as you can tell from my first post here). I hoped I would not have this issue, but oh yes I am.

It's good to see I'm not the only one. Although I knew about street stallion having the issue b/c I read his post on s197forum a short while back which is the same post as on here.

I want to add that a Brenspeed or BBR tune will not fix your O/D flashing issues as of right now. I hope that will change at some point. Bamachips tunes will work ok now that Doug knows the issue. My Bama tune has not done it to me so far and my idle issues with that tune seems to be gone.

It's also interesting to hear that a higher idle will make the problem not happen as frequent. It's funny, but I was just thinking about that recently, wondering if my 750 idle had anything to do with it as opposed to Brenspeed's default of 950.

Damn, if I could only know EXACTLY what to change in the tune so I can tell Brenspeed, BBR, etc how to fix it. However, I am working on that though. I bought some tuning docs (and videos) from SCT (made for their Pro Racer software) to do a little investigation of my own.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 12-21-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
yellowjohn1

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
I forgot about this thread. I remember now when I originally saw this thread it started to freak me out (as you can tell from my first post here). I hoped I would not have this issue, but oh yes I am.

It's good to see I'm not the only one. Although I knew about street stallion having the issue b/c I read his post on s197forum a short while back which is the same post as on here.

I want to add that a Brenspeed or BBR tune will not fix your O/D flashing issues as of right now. I hope that will change at some point. Bamachips tunes will work ok now that Doug knows the issue. My Bama tune has not done it to me so far and my idle issues with that tune seems to be gone.

It's also interesting to hear that a higher idle will make the problem not happen as frequent. It's funny, but I was just thinking about that recently, wondering if my 750 idle had anything to do with it as opposed to Brenspeed's default of 950.

Damn, if I could only know EXACTLY what to change in the tune so I can tell Brenspeed, BBR, etc how to fix it. However, I am working on that though. I bought some tuning docs (and videos) from SCT (made for their Pro Racer software) to do a little investigation of my own.
At this point would you recommend someone who had not done them cams yet to go with the comp nsr's instead? I was between these 2 about 95% FRPP, about 5% Comp b/c of the slight power advantage and a few less issues...Having Brenspeed install cams and other stuff and dynotune my car in spring. Maybe I'll have to go with the comps, I really wanted a big lopey idle but I don't want to turn my car into a problem all the time...
Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

does this issue only happen with hot rods, or all cams with autos?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I'd imagine any cam with an auto that has a rough idle will have this issue. So I'd expect Thumpr and Comp SPRs to do the same. I seriously doubt the Comp NSR/VSR would have this problem since they do not have a rough idle. The BBR cams should have the issue though.

It has something to do with the lopeyness but I've not figured out exactly what. I am working on it and have a few theories I'm trying to test. I do know that raising the idle (which starts to take away the lope) makes the problem not happen as much and possibly goes away if the idle is high enough (as seen above). So the more of the lope you take away, the less it happens...so the closer you get to stock idle, the less it happens....AH HAH!

I also know, based on what bonestang above said who has this issue too, that the code P0745 will be thrown. I don't have anything to read trans codes so I can't say for 100% that's what I'm seeing, but I'm fairly certain it is what's happening with me too. It seems likely and goes along with what Brenspeed told me the flashing O/D usually means.

Based on everything I've been able to come up with, the lower vacuum produced by these cams, and similar rough cams, looks like it may have something to do with it. That's the only thing that the cams are changing and any lumpy cam will have lower vacuum. I'm thinking somehow there's a link between that and the sensor in the trans that has to do with the code P0745.

I ordered documentation and videos for learning how to tune with SCT's Pro Racer software so I can understand more about how all of that works. I hope this will help me figure out the issue. I'm on the case.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 12-21-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Wow. I don't think I'll be getting these cams. Will probably save my pennies and go with a supercharger. I had good luck with one on my truck. It was very reliable and I didn't have any issues. Good info guys!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

so is this problem inevitable? Like if i got a custom dyno tune from a local tuner would i still have the same overdrive issues?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

It's hard to say really. A custom dyno tune might be fine if the tuner is made aware of the potential issue.

I'm talking with Justin Burcham from JPC about this issue now. He said he has heard of the issue, but never seen it on any cars they tune there at JPC. He's getting with his main tuner there and see if they can figure something out.

Justin told me that every time someone calls Ford Racing about any issues w/ these cams, they say to call JPC.

I'm hoping it is a vacuum issue like I'm suspecting b/c then it won't matter whos tune I have, all I'd need is a vacuum can and it'll be fine. It really seems likely to me that's the case at this point.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Hmmmmm I was gonna buy some cams... I drive an auto I hope your right about the vaccum issue and this can be worked out in the tunes... Good luck man! Keep us informed!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

My Bamachips tune does have a fix for this. So I know it can be fixed in the tune. Once I can get my Brenspeed and BBR tunes to be fixed I'll feel much better. But I worry that the fix in the tune is not really a fix and just covering up a real issue. I'm not sure.

I really do need a dyno tune though regardless.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

wow well thanks for looking into it, hopefully it is a simple fix.