Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Turbos are way more efficient they require no power to create power, the turbo spools from exhaust gasses. A supercharger being belt driven takes crank horsepower to work, the procharger kit probably uses 75 - 100 HP just to spin it. Here's the catch s supercharger is a lot more consistent for day to day use. Turbos are a pain to tune, oil lines can leak and they need rebuilding every "X" amount of miles. Go blower you will be happy.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverpony41
Heck no. Nitrous is out of the question for me. I care about my engine. Anyone here have a hellion or procharger? I would like to know what problems you have had.
That's a slightly ignorant response, but we won't hold it against you. N2O, SC or turbo, all put the same types of stresses on your car.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Here's my $.02. The advantages of turbos is obvious. Turbo's are not free horsepower because they do cause back pressure, but they don't seem to suck as much power from a motor as any SC. Their power curve is has a little more of a peak to it and they tend to hit harder than any form of FI.

IF you have a shop that can tune your car on a semi-consistant basis as you mod it AND they actually know how to tune a turbo S197 AND you can be patient, get the turbo.

If you want great low end torque, easy tuning, and great support from multiple tuners, shops and other friends (here on the forum) get a whipple, saleen or KB.

I have said sveral times that I love my turbo, it is unique and bad ***. People comment and love to listen and watch the car. But if I could do it all over again, I would get a 2.8liter KB and turn it down to run on a stock block, which is possible BTW.

I have ab uilt motor so I could turn it all the way up, but I think your's is stock still.

If you can't afford the big KB, which is only slightly more than other SC kits, kit a smaller twin screw blower.

Vortech offers a great air/water intercoller which is what I would choose over the procharger because of the intercooler.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Simon1
That's a slightly ignorant response, but we won't hold it against you. N2O, SC or turbo, all put the same types of stresses on your car.

Thanks Simon....as a 75 shot or 100 shot is cheap and when tuned right very lethal in a race or at the track etc......I was just giving options!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:59 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Here is a guy you want to talk to in addition to Simon1

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...bobby1110.html

almost 700 RWHP on that built motor!!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Here is a guy you want to talk to in addition to Simon1

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...bobby1110.html

almost 700 RWHP on that built motor!!!!
Bobby has done a great job with his turbo building. Hopefully this winter I can go get dynoed and make 600+ with the new turbo.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Thanks Simon....as a 75 shot or 100 shot is cheap and when tuned right very lethal in a race or at the track etc......I was just giving options!
When I ran nitrous it was about as expensive as it is now for me to race. One bottle was around $40-$50, plus admission to the track. Now I end up buying about that same amount of fuel in 100 octane everytime I go.

It was cheap power and I ran faster than most people on here with FI.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

I just meant to say that nitrous is not an option for me. It may be good, but i dont want to put my engine through that. At least a blower you can get intercoolers, but with nitrous, what kind of cooling are you getting? I do not know much about it because i dont care for it.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:35 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Not really ignorant, i'm just stating the way i feel about nitrous.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:40 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Here's my $.02. The advantages of turbos is obvious. Turbo's are not free horsepower because they do cause back pressure, but they don't seem to suck as much power from a motor as any SC. Their power curve is has a little more of a peak to it and they tend to hit harder than any form of FI.

IF you have a shop that can tune your car on a semi-consistant basis as you mod it AND they actually know how to tune a turbo S197 AND you can be patient, get the turbo.

If you want great low end torque, easy tuning, and great support from multiple tuners, shops and other friends (here on the forum) get a whipple, saleen or KB.

I have said sveral times that I love my turbo, it is unique and bad ***. People comment and love to listen and watch the car. But if I could do it all over again, I would get a 2.8liter KB and turn it down to run on a stock block, which is possible BTW.

I have ab uilt motor so I could turn it all the way up, but I think your's is stock still.

If you can't afford the big KB, which is only slightly more than other SC kits, kit a smaller twin screw blower.

Vortech offers a great air/water intercoller which is what I would choose over the procharger because of the intercooler.
Why are they harder to tune? I mean, is it that troublesome? Many people with the hellion kit say they have had no problems. One reason im dreading to get a supercharger is come winter time, i will still drive this car and i think it would be very difficult to get traction on icy roads. The turbo on the other hand i dont think will give me traction problems for winter, but i do not really know. That is just what i am guessing since everyone says the turbo will only kick on when you want it to.