Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Racing Myself

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

sounds like time for a private rental for you Simon..... hot lap all day long
Old 08-24-2009, 03:44 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
It was horrible actually. The track was really sticky. First launch at 3500 I bogged, 2.0 60' and missed 2nd and 3rd.

Raised the 2 step to 3800, didn't bog as bad but it didn't really take off. No spinning. missed 3rd . . . again. Maybe my tranny is finally going?

It's not abnormal for me to miss one shift in one evening of making 10 passes. But not every pass.

The few things that are frustrating have mostly to do with the turbo system. It makes great power and it's great to drive. The issue is I sit at the track for two hours between passes and my turbo is cold when I go to the line. This is the number problem with my STS. It runs on the cool side which very good for daily driving, but bad for track use. You would think a cool motor would make more power (true), but with the cool turbo, it's low to spool. After it's hot, it runs completely different. My fastest passes have always been hot laps. If I can go back to back passes, my MPH goes up and ET goes down.

Next is my tuning. The new turbo runs different and therefore the car needs to be tuned. There's a hesitation between shifts that makes recovery of the shift time while making a pass difficult.

So my solution is, crap I don't know. Either get an automatic, which would load the turbo better and keep it laoded going down the track or change power adders or . . . I've been kicking around getting the KB 2.8 mammoth for a while now. After I sold my turbo to some lucky soul it wouldn't cost me very much for the KB. I have kicked around getting the 3.4 whipple, but then I would need a new hood. I kind of want one anyway, but my car looks pretty good as it is now. So I don't know. Maybe I will rebuild this winter and see.

Benifits of the KB.

The tuning is easier
It makes more power
It's more track friendly
I can make more power on pump gas

Very anit-climatic evening. Especially when you sit for four hours and make two passes.
If you were chasing this, you probably wouldn't have a hard time shifting.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 AM
bobby1110
3rd Gear Member

go with the hellion kit or the turbo horse power kit. also www.on3performance has a new kit he just finished up and is about to put on the market. talk to him his name is chad. if you want one of those kits contact me i am a dealer for him.