Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual v. Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

The factual benefits for a manual are quickly losing validity. Autos can rev match, and now have just as many gears, and their mpg is as good as manuals as well. It really comes down to preference. I feel there's a lot of stigma about autos: thev're being slower, less masculine, only for guys in their balding midlife crises, having poor gas mileage.

IMO: I enjoy speeding more with a manual shift. I find I cruise more and enjoy the experience less with an automatic. But I'm young, 28, and enjoy the "more connected" feeling I get from having a third pedal, regardless of my 'Stang being my DD through urban traffic.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Autos can rev match?

Autos are always going to have some slip built in and additional drivetrain loss. Not that they don't have their own set of advantages. Because they do.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yeah, there are a few Mustang GT range price cars (nissan 370Z i think is one of them) and of course way expensive ones that rev match the auto (they're actually manumatic tranny cars) So they have paddles and when you downshift it (without a clutch) it rev matches.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

That's what I thought he was talking about. A dual clutch transmission.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
Get a manual - unless you want to go fast. Then get an automatic.
now tell us the one about "The 3 little pigs"
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Ha! Sorry RIP, I lump cars together by pedal number. So anything clutchless, is an Auto in my mind. My bad, buddy
Old 08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Really the only thing I wish different about the 5R55S is I'd like to it go into gear quicker when manually shifting it. My TCI ratchet shifter kicks ***, but it doesn't go into gear instantly like an auto with a full manual valve body would. There's like a 1 second pause. I don't know WTF the car is doing in that time. Perhaps it's just a safety thing. Oh well.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 PM
sterling_gray

"Manual is the only way to go"
I drove manual all my life on my own cars, and feel strange if I am in the mini van of my wife, 6 gears and nothing to control them ....
My breaks hold much longer since I use the engine to break, and there is no better sound then down shifting a V8 (bum bum bum ...).
Sure Automatic is more "convenient", but then a Mustang is not a car of convenience (at least for me) and not a mini van. (I hope I do not offend any one ;-) )
Old 08-25-2009, 04:16 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I was debating the same thing when i bought mine. I didn't know how to drive a manual so that fear played negatively against the stick, but i knew if so many people out there can learn then so can I. For me it came down to I want to drive the car , dont want the car driving me. Sure an auto is more consistent at the drag strip, but i definitely get a rush when im banging through the gears!! I definitely don't want to just" punch it n go" , that seems boring, i want to slam the gears when im shifting. Ask yourself, why are you getting the stang, to be a fun car that you have to control when you drive, or a cruiser that all you do is stop n go?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 PM
5T4NG
2nd Gear Member

My first 2 cars were manuals (88 Ford 150, Civic Si) last 2 (Protege5, 07 stang) have been auto's. Honestly Theres too much F'ing traffic around DC to really enjoy a manual really except on the weekends or driving all out at 2am on the freeway. I'm kinda digging the auto now lol. Its still fun when I turn the OD off and zoom around a bit, but not as satifying as a manual.

Quick Reply: Manual v. Auto