Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

which S/C...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Mud have you ever thought about putting a turbo on that car?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Mud have you ever thought about putting a turbo on that car?
Yeah I did a bunch of research on turbos. That was originally what I wanted. It quickly became clear that tuning the thing becomes the biggest risk. Most turbo kits also put down way more power than I wanted at the time. If I had forged internals, I'd go turbo for sure. Given I already have the blower on this thing, the extent of anything else I do to this car will be the HO upgrade. I suspect when we move to high elevation in Colorado next year, that the HO upgrade will probably necessary to make the car feel the same up there as it does at sea level now.

When I bought my GT they had a brand new GT500 in black w/ dark gray stripes on the showroom floor. I should have just bought the thing frankly. It would have been faster than my car, and I'd have a full warranty. The payments would have been a couple hundred bucks higher a month, but when you consider the amount of money I have into this car now, it would have taken me probably 2-1/2 years to spend that much in extra payment.

Hindsight...
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM
white_lightning
2nd Gear Member

it's a legit drive - customer reports a vibration at HWY speeds, all four tires were balanced approx 1 month ago...perhaps a suspension issue or that the soft pirellis are flat spotting because the owner lets the car sit a bunch?

Last edited by white_lightning; 08-27-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:07 PM
trigger06
2nd Gear Member

soft pirellis? what you talkin about willis?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Honestly Mud I'd be surprised if you aren't getting close to stock GT500 speeds as is. 400whp right? Not to much more and you'll be right there. GT500s are heavy cars and remember it's 500 @ the crank.

Now start modding the 500... lol
Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
Sorry, I have to comment on these dynos.. the E-Force is doing 422 rwhp on a 12:1 AF ratio (and higher). They conveniently don't show the whipple AF ratio here, which is probably down around 11.3 where the canned tune is set. At over 10 psi of boost on a good tune the whipple can easily do over 450 rwhp

Oh, and the "5 psi" E-Force is running max boost of 8.62!! That's higher than the Kenne Bell stage 1 runs out of the box, and it makes about 450-460 rwhp on a 11.8 AF tune (which they don't send you unless you sign a waiver, the stock tune runs a nice safe 11.3 target AF ratio and still gets 430-440 rwhp)..

Compare apples to apples and the E-force is a great TVS roots blower, but pound for pound of boost, the twin screws will beat them every time.

I don't mean to offend E-Force owners, but you don't buy an E-Force because of the power per psi or even the power per dollar, you buy it for looks, sound, maybe warranty, and the fact that it is pretty new and not everyone has one.
Not trying to stir anything up, nor am I "offended" by your comments as I bought mine for many of the reasons you listed, but I do want to clarify a couple things... FWIW, the 422RWHP dyno (middle chart) was from my car. And although my AFs are showing in the low 12's, they are really in the mid 11's as the AF measurement was done at the muffler (post cat) with a sniffer, which typically accounts for about a .5 - .6 difference from a pre-cat (O2 port) measurement. The guy who made the adjustments to my base EB tune accounts for that offset in all his tuning and it works.

And regarding boost... what do you whipple, Saleen, and KB guys see on your boost gauges? Do you have any comparisons to what you saw on a dyno run? Asking because my gauge never goes much over 5.5, even when I used the record feature after a hard run.

Regardless, the E-force is a nice kit that puts out decent power and is a great choice if you want some stealthy power (both in low noise and clean look under the hood).

But honestly, the OP can't go wrong with any of the ones he is considering. Getting blown, irregardless of the brand, will bring a never ending smile every time you get behind the wheel
Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
I for one would like to thank you for pointing out that the claimed 5 PSI is a bit of a joke as the dyno shows it is never that low except for an anomly {sp} at about 3750 RPM's, but in reality running 6-8 PSI boost.
Now the info has always been there for people to see, but I think most just kind of glance and never truly catch the real boost level.
Call it what you want, but at low and mid rpm, it is still making more power with less boost than any other supercharger.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Which blower is going to be the easiest install?

Vortech non IC?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Honestly Mud I'd be surprised if you aren't getting close to stock GT500 speeds as is. 400whp right? Not to much more and you'll be right there. GT500s are heavy cars and remember it's 500 @ the crank.

Now start modding the 500... lol
Heh yeah at this point it doesn't matter anymore. I don't even covet a GT500 frankly. Probably a large part of the reason why I didn't pull the trigger on one that day is because the car did nothing for me. I sat in it, walked around it, and just looked at the salesperson and shrugged. I had the notion that I was going to mod a GT and that it would be fun, which it was, however the problem I always run into is when you're "done" it gets boring, lol.

I highly doubt I'll ever mod a car to this extent again. I'll just take the extra 10-15k and buy a nicer car to begin with. I'm even on the fence with the HO upgrade for this Vortech kit. I think I'll want it in Colorado, however it'll probably cost me about 2 grand total. I'm not sure when I'll feel like putting that much more money into the car. I don't have the mod bug anymore. Hell, I've driven the car like 3 times in the past 2 months. I've had it like nearly a year and it has 2600 miles, lol.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Hell, I've driven the car like 3 times in the past 2 months. I've had it like nearly a year and it has 2600 miles, lol.

Based on the rest of that post. I think you should've got yourself a C6 Z06 vette and called it a day. And if you wanted to you could always mod that car for a bit more power. Or alternately, kept your subaru. Especially now that you'll be in CO.

Quick Reply: which S/C...