Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

which S/C...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 AM
white_lightning
2nd Gear Member

Default which S/C...

I daily drive my mustang and take it to the strip weekly in the summer months, and want to try the road course. I need to make safe power (aprrox 425rwhp) with the stock block and 91 octane fuel. If I ever blew my stock block would I consider going stroked or built but I would like to avoid at all costs. Torque is important to me, as I want to see a big improvement at the drag strip. I live at 3500 feet above sea level and put approx 10,000kms a year on my car. I really want to hear some whine in my car at WOT, but being a sleeper has a small appeal. It’s quite unlikely that I will install it myself as there are a of couple shops that install and tune saleen, whipple and roush tvs, blowers, but I’m not sure about techco, edelbrock or kenne bell. I’m only looking at twin screw no centrifugal. They all seem to cost about the same when equipped with all the parts so price isn’t a huge consideration. If you’re going to do it – do it right the first time!

In my mind having the lowest boost to acheive my hp goal would be appealing because to me that seems less stressful on the engine. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by white_lightning; 08-26-2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: boost
Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Im not an expert, but from what i've read i think the kenne bell will put the lowest boost to hp. Then possibly the whipple... But again, im no expert.

I want the Super Shaker personally cause I think it's amazing!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Any Twin screw S/C will give you the TQ your looking for esp in the low to mid RPM range.

KB, Whipple, and Saleen are the way to go.... Limit the boost to no more then 5-8 psi and your safe with a good tune. Dont skirt the upgrades like intercooled, at least a KB BAP, and better yet the GT500 dual fuel pumps with driver module, and the larger injectors come with most kits.

Check with our Sponsor Lethal performance and ask for Jared and he can hook you up!

I reread your post.....The supershaker by Saleen has the loudest whine IMO. I cant hear my whipple cause the side exhaust is loud and exits below the left ear on the driverside. KB has some whine to it too but any exhaust changes to make the car louder will affect the whine you hear but not necessarily what others will hear esp when driving towards them...in a race they wont hear it IMO

whipple has the Gen2 S/C out and it is more efficient then mine by increasing the HP but running less boost (same hp with about 1-2 psi less)

Plain and simple the Whipple and KB will keep up with each other....the KB mammoth is a 2.8L and the Whipple is a 2.3L compressor....kind of comparing apples to oranges but Whipple is my S/C of choice but I am biased.

Remember that boost is a measure of restriction and not efficiency....the more HP you have with the least amt of boost is better for the motor then the opposite (I am sure you knew that just wanted to write it) consider LT headers to lower the boost and maintain or increase the HP you get from the motor.

Road courses you might want to consider big time suspension and brake upgrades.....way different then running in a straight line for a 1/4 mile and much harder IMO too!

Last edited by mygt500; 08-26-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

E-Force at 5psi makes as much power as a Whipple at 10psi in low & mid range rpm. At high end rpm, the E-Force (as half as much boost) levels out and peaks at your target rwhp number. Your choice is simple. :-)

Whipple HO kit, 10psi:

E-Force, 5psi

E-Force at other boost levels
Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 AM
shane.stockard
2nd Gear Member

Whipple is my choice but of course I have the Whipple HO with lower boost but the numbers are still good for my daily driver.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Edelbrock is a roots style.. a very efficient one but a roots nevertheless.. That means the "5 psi" is actually 5-7 psi, with lower boost until you reach peak RPM. It does have a nice design on the intake runners, which helps efficiency, but a twin screw will give you more power, and more power potential. This supercharger is quiet, very much a sleeper car, and the engine dresses up nicely to look a lot like a chevy motor. Very modern looking. Unlike KB and Whipple, Edelbrock advertises in brake horsepower, so don't be confused when you see 466 hp advertised, you will get 400 rwhp at sea level, and a little less at the higher elevations. Tillman speed has been selling this basic 5 psi kit for the same price as the KB stage 1.

The KB stage 1 is 8.5 psi and although they rate it at 501 rwhp, expect 430-450 rwhp depending on elevation and conditions. With an aggressive tune, perfect conditions, and 50-60 degree ambient temps, you might hit the 500 rwhp they claim, but it's not really real world power. The stage 1 is a 2.6 liter compressor, and the stage 2 adds a bigger throttle body for 20-30 more rwhp on the same boost. Under 10 psi with the tune they send, you simply won't have to worry about blowing the motor unless there is a defect somewhere (or if you run some bad fuel).

The whipple kit is (I think) 9 psi out of the box, and is pretty much similar to the KB. Price tends to be a tad higher, but you get the advantage of being able to buy it at a reseller that will be able to give you better support than KB.. KB has great people, but getting a hold of them is tough. Both Whipple and KB give you that classic "old school" blower look that wows the crowds.. Nothing like a big shiny box with a pulley on the front..

Saleen is a great twin screw setup, with quite a few great dealers that sell it. However, you are pretty limited with this blower if you do decide to build an engine.. Don't expect to be able to pull more than 12 psi from this blower (14 maybe, depending on the engine build). KB is the best for potential.. the 2.6 can do 18 psi boost on a 4.6. If you really don't think you will ever build an engine, then it comes down to how you like the looks of this one, as well as how you like the vendors that sell it. Price wise, a stage 3 kit (close to the whipple and KB in power output), is a little spendy, but not bad.

If you don't want obnoxious sound, avoid the Techco. I hear they have a quieter drive setup now, but even at idle this thing sounds like you already threw a rod.. When it winds up you will be looking in the back seat for the guy blowing on a Kazoo, but don't fear, it actually IS the blower making all that racket! Great blower, but loud and expensive, and, in my opinion, just the wrong mix of modern look and muscle.. looks more like an aftermarket manifold than a supercharger. For the price I would do a turbo before I would do this supercharger, but it really is a great product in terms of power. You can expect to get over 450 rwhp on the stock block with this blower, and still have the capability of building a 650-700 rwhp corvette killer down the road. Of course, this is a popular blower for vette owners since it is the only one that will fit under a stock hood on a C6 vette, so you might not be killing vettes with it after all..
Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
E-Force at 5psi makes as much power as a Whipple at 10psi in low & mid range rpm. At high end rpm, the E-Force (as half as much boost) levels out and peaks at your target rwhp number. Your choice is simple. :-)

Whipple HO kit, 10psi:

E-Force, 5psi
Sorry, I have to comment on these dynos.. the E-Force is doing 422 rwhp on a 12:1 AF ratio (and higher). They conveniently don't show the whipple AF ratio here, which is probably down around 11.3 where the canned tune is set. At over 10 psi of boost on a good tune the whipple can easily do over 450 rwhp

Oh, and the "5 psi" E-Force is running max boost of 8.62!! That's higher than the Kenne Bell stage 1 runs out of the box, and it makes about 450-460 rwhp on a 11.8 AF tune (which they don't send you unless you sign a waiver, the stock tune runs a nice safe 11.3 target AF ratio and still gets 430-440 rwhp)..

Compare apples to apples and the E-force is a great TVS roots blower, but pound for pound of boost, the twin screws will beat them every time.

I don't mean to offend E-Force owners, but you don't buy an E-Force because of the power per psi or even the power per dollar, you buy it for looks, sound, maybe warranty, and the fact that it is pretty new and not everyone has one.

Last edited by dkersten; 08-27-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:19 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I've seen several E-Force charts (and will have my own chart hopefully in about a week), and in every one of them the E-Force made more power in low and mid rpm bands where the E-Force is running 5psi. Supposedly, the E-Force's runner design is responsible for this.

At high rpm Whipple wins.

Those Tillman charts were all done by the same tuner. None of them were done with canned tunes. I suspect the AF is similar in all of them.

The choice obviously depends on what a person wants. I don't race and I enjoy more power in low and mid bands in my Daily Driver. I also like less whine.

Any DynoJoe and/or JDM Engineering in their 10 second 18psi E-Force cars might differ with you on the blower's potential. With just a shade better job on suspension they'll be in the 9's. Although...I'd think KB would be a better choice for monster power still.

I also think there is not a bad choice to be made in all the major forced induction brands. They're all very good. Only possible issue I see with some of them is the stability of their parent company.

BTW, isn't Saleen supposed to have something new in the S/C world soon?

Last edited by shanec; 08-27-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Don't shy away from installing it yourself, the money you save can pay for tuning or gauges.

I imagine an average shop would charge nearly $1000 to install, that is equal to the cost of an S0S gauge pod and fuel pressure, boost and wideband gauges.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

You say you live at 3500 feet above sea level, honestly, if you ever really want to make a lot of power (with a built block), I wouldn't go with a positive displacement blower, you can only spin them so fast, and you are already going to have to make up for your thin air.

If I lived at elevation, I'd be thinking turbo or nitrous (or both)

Quick Reply: which S/C...