Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Finally! Time to order... Edelbrock/Saleen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Default Finally! Time to order... Edelbrock/Saleen?

Hey Guys,

After careful consideration i've decided to postpone buying a GT500.
In the meantime, i'm taking money from the GT500 "fund" and using it to supercharge my current pony. I was literally ready to order the Saleen 500hp kit from brenspeed with my buddy, when he said "dude.. did you hear about the new edelbrock s/c, it looks wayy dope".And here i am, stuck between Saleen and Edelbrock. (both look wicked under the hood, but i favor the edelbrocks look, its different from other s/c's)

Brenspeed doesnt offer them yet, just sent them an email to ask when they'll be available because i dont want to wait too long. Is there anyone here with an E-force S/C? I'm hoping brenspeed will offer some good deals like they do with Saleen.

So, since i have about zero knowledge about S/C's i'm turning the input from here to help me make my decision. My goal is to be somewhere around 440whp. Weekend warrior daily driver. And i want a kit that has everything, from the s/c to the fuel pump, spark plugs, tuning.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:33 AM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

Do a quick search and there are several threads on the Edelbrock. I had some growing pains with mine but no showstoppers. IMO ( i am no expert) you need to budget in a tune and GT500 fuel pumps. Some promote the BAP but I dont like the idea of overdriving my fuel pump. Spemd now or spend even more later. Edelbrock requires the "optional" coolant upgrade kit as well. After all said and done I dyno'ed 425 rwhp on a hot day so it can get you there. The pumps are expensive but when you are $5700 in + install + tune you may as well do it right. The edelbrock kit is complete except for the coolant upgrade kit. Car runs like stock unless you get on it and gets 25mpg+ on the highway. Doesnt come with gauges but that can can run from under $50 to to the $280 I paid for the Saleen dash pod setup.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Edelbrock all the way, it's excellent quality but I wouldn't **** on Steve Saleen if he was on fire let alone give him any of my hard earned money.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I would have bought a Saleen if not for the stunt that company pulled earlier this year by telling their entire customer base they had no warranty, and then changing their mind a several months later. The buyout of the Saleen company and its behavior since then as been very strange.

Edelbrock is a solid company with a very long history of aftermarket car parts.

I went with Edelbrock. I love the design. It has the longest runners in the industry and makes more power per psi boost than any other supercharger at low and mid range rpm bands (AWESOME for a daily driver). Bought mine from JDM engineering who has a good kit put together which includes a GT500 fuel pump.

I am sure Brenspeed will put together good kits as well.

Edelbrock did not have growing pains in the beginning. What they had was a high profile speed shop who owned a bad crate of spark plugs that affected their high-profile testing of the suprcharger. It made for a PR nightmare right when they were trying to get their product kicked off. Eventually, the case of the problem (spark plugs) and the supercharger they were testing then worked fine - as has every other one that has been posted about.

Anyway....My Edelbrock is sitting in my garage. I ordered it a week and a half ago. All the parts for it except for one, the tune, have arrived. When that gets here, I'll either install it myself on labor day or one weekend that I don't have season tickets for college football.

Last edited by shanec; 08-29-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

buy neither for the same money you can buy a kenne bell, which is a larger blower, its a 2.6 as opposed to a 2.3l, which if ever one day you blow the motor or decide you want more, the kenne bell will get it done without changing out the blower. if the money is the same or close, you get more blower with kenne bell.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Between those two I'd go Edelbrock.

If you are going to add GT500 pumps and a tune you will be at or above the price of a HO Whipple which comes with an excellent tune and GT500 pumps.
Not true.

The base E-Force kit is $5800. Add a GT500 fuel pump and you are even money with the Whipple HO.

BUT...I prefer this $6400 E-force kit from JDM for the same money and it comes with more/better stuff than the base kit:

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=432

JDM's E-Force kit is $6400, the price of the Whipple HO kit, and it comes with bigger injectors than the Whipple HO kit. Also comes with CAI, GT500 fuel pump, and a smaller pulley than the base E-Force kit. The power produced by the kit is also about the same as Whipple HO.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rm9792
Edelbrock requires the "optional" coolant upgrade kit as well. After all said and done I dyno'ed 425 rwhp on a hot day so it can get you there. The pumps are expensive but when you are $5700 in + install + tune you may as well do it right. The edelbrock kit is complete except for the coolant upgrade kit. Car runs like stock unless you get on it and gets 25mpg+ on the highway. Doesnt come with gauges but that can can run from under $50 to to the $280 I paid for the Saleen dash pod setup.
Keep in mind the "optional coolant upgrade kit" is only needed for '05-'06s and is not required on '07-'08s. I am obviously very biased, but if you want a nice stealthy kit, go with the Edelbrock. And with simple hand tools and some basic wrenching knowledge, you can save the install costs and do it yourself... a very rewarding and fun experience! The Edelbrock also comes with a built in MAP that allows for measuring boost directly with a digital gauge like the Aeroforces I am running on mine.

Sure, you can get KB or Whipple if you wanting a lot more power down the road... but the stock look along with being able to keep things simple if you want to maintain the stock airbox, the Edelbrock is a great option!

Here's what you can expect to see under the hood...

Shane, you need make the time to get yours installed!!!

Last edited by Doogie65; 08-30-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:03 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I hear ya, Doogie. Tell my boss that, LOL. And my flu.

Forgot to mention something about Kenne Bell. I like their blowers a lot. They're the biggest blower. Have the most potential. The company has a long, long history with blowers. Lots to like. But....their air filter always made me nervous.

I like the idea that KB puts the air filter away from the engine. But inches away from the ground? I'm talking an unobstructed line of sight to the ground. Look under the car and its just right there. How does that not get water-logged in a good puddle? It must work because people are doing it - but that setup just made me too nervous and that alone was the deal-breaker for me. And that was a really tough choice because I like them (and their silence) a lot.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM
timfoster405

I would highly recommend the Edelbrock kit from either Tillman or JDM. Both are selling the enhanced kit for ~$6,400. Compared to the Whipple you get:

1. More efficient runner design. The e-force path only has 4-90 degree turns while the Whipple (also Roush, Kenne Bell, Stock GT500) has 7-90 degree turns to get from the air filter to the intake valve.
2. Larger air to water intercooler
3. After market T-body, 85 mm
4. New Air IAT (Intake air charge) sensor that is also a MAP sensor. The sensor is also located AFTER the intercooler (Whipple requires you to move it to the correct location)
5. TVS does not have internal compression like a twin screw and therefore will only require very, very little power to spin during normal driving... vs. the a twin screw which will require "some" (although small) power to compress the charge.
6. Sleaker / stealthier design.

Anyway... I am biased...since I own an e-force and am very happy with it.

Oh, I almost forgot... as compared to Saleen, the same engineer, Rob Simons, designed both of those units. Since he designed the E-force after the Saleen, don't you think he used all of his experience of what NOT to do for the newer designed E-foce? Also, it appears Saleen is not as rock solid from a business perspective as Edelbrock.

Goodluck

Last edited by timfoster405; 08-30-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally! Time to order... Edelbrock/Saleen?