Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mechanical boost gauge w/ SOS pillar

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Default mechanical boost gauge w/ SOS pillar

Trying to install a mechanical boost gauge inside a SOS pillar. The boost/vac tube is crimping at the compression fitting on the back of the gauge.

I think this is happening because of where the passthrough hole is in the SOS pillar relative to where the back of the gauge is in the pod. Is a fairly deep gauge, especially with the compression fitting tacked on the back.

So the tube comes out of that gauge and has to make a hard left turn (maybe even a u-turn?) to get through the hole in the pod and down the pillar.

Anybody run into this?

Can't confirm or deny that the gauge works because thanks to Edelbrock I still can't attempt to crank my car after a supercharger install (bad parts, slow response & shipping to deal with it).
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

no, I ran mine from the vacuum connection into the car, then to the gauge pod and rolled the slack behind the gauge.. there is about 2 feet back there coiled up and no problems.. Allows me to pull the gauge if need be to service it without pulling the whole pod.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Nylon tube or rubber? This nylon doesn't like to make any semi-sudden bends.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Nylon tube or rubber? This nylon doesn't like to make any semi-sudden bends.
nylon..
Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Pain in the A**!!! I hated trying to get mine hooked up.. It still pops off every once in a while. I plan on redoing it when I get back.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

The only problem I have had with the SOS pillar is the rattling.. I think I will pull it and put some dynamat in there.. I have the triple though, and I think the added weight does it.. when I had 2 gauges in it only rattled on really bad bumps..
Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

The SOS pillar pod is a Ford OEM pillar with 2 pods riveted to it. Is it missing a push-clip inside? Or maybe missing that block of whatever that is space filler above and behind the driver's head?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
The SOS pillar pod is a Ford OEM pillar with 2 pods riveted to it. Is it missing a push-clip inside? Or maybe missing that block of whatever that is space filler above and behind the driver's head?
nope, it installs securely, but with 3 pods full it vibrates against the pillar a few inches above the velcro-like clip in the middle.. I think if I fill that spot with some carpet or dynamat it will not vibrate any more..
Old 09-10-2009, 01:47 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Mine never vibrates/rattles... I love the look of it I just wish they would have thought more about the mechanical gauges in the design.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Redfire427

Put a 90 degree fitting on the back of the gauge and call it a day.

Quick Reply: mechanical boost gauge w/ SOS pillar